A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

33 minutes ago, Olive said:

I  went to watch the movie without watching any trailers, in the movie people did suspect him ,but he suddenly changed from a mercenary  to a hero.

The run time is very short, the pace of story is really fast.

Oh, so he really is the hero of the film? Sigh, whatever interest I had in it is completely gone. I might watch this if I see it online one day but I'm not contributing money to this. 

23 minutes ago, Polaroids said:

Oh, so he really is the hero of the film? Sigh, whatever interest I had in it is completely gone. I might watch this if I see it online one day but I'm not contributing money to this. 

I think the trailer told it clearly. Anyway, there is no good film coming out on Christmas day, so I probably will watch this, or at least for the sake of my fav actors, Jing Tian, Lin Gengxin, and Zhang Hanyu. Railroad Tiger won't be released here until New Year Day.  

Thursday estimates

The Great Wall ¥50M
Hacksaw Ridge ¥13.5M/185M
Suddenly Seventeen ¥6.5M/111.5M  
Your Name ¥5.25M /522M  
Sully ¥2.45M/53.4M
Fantastic Beasts  ¥1.65M /579M  
Miss Peregrine ¥0.84M /115M 

• Like 9

42 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

Just watched TGW. 

I think Zhang Yimou should learn how to tell a good story before showing his ability of making spectacle. 

Wasn't TGW written by American?

Screenplay by
Story by

He is already good at telling story, just check his previous films. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jiangsen said:

Douban ratings for TGW were at 5.2 a few hours ago, pretty shitty. Interestingly, now the score has been removed completely saying the film "temporarily has no rating". Wanda and Legendary using their clout to avoid negative WOM going into opening Friday? 

Maoyan at 8.3. Thatll drop into the 7s.. Nearly all scores are 7.5-9.5. Under 8 is like  a 1 star out of 4

If it was a normal OD(with just MN) this could play like a local film at 2.25 PS, as a HLWD film it could be 2.75 like CA3. However day 2 is usually 4x PS. I think it will be somewhere between 3 and 4x. Im sticking with 80-100m for OD and 300-350m OW, $45-50m.  its looking like bad WoM but the holiday could help it if it doesn't fall out of bed. 600-700m. I guess Damon should stick to outer space:lol: where he can be saved by a Chinese rocket.

CA3       TGW    
PS at 1am MN PS OD PS OD PS% inc   TH 6pm PS PS% inc OD PS PS% inc
Th 0.8 2.4     1.6   2.0  
Fr 1.2 3.6 50.0%   2.0 29.0% 2.4 20.0%
Sa 1.8 6.2 72.2%   2.5 25.0% 2.9 20.8%
Su 2.1 8.1 30.6%   3.1 24.0% 3.5 20.7%
Mo 2.8 11.9 46.9%   4.2 35.5% 4.5 28.6%
Tu 3.5 16.3 37.0%   5.8 38.1% 6.0 33.3%
We 4.8 25.4 55.8%   8.7 50.0% 9.1 51.7%
Th 6.4 37.9 49.2%   14.3 64.4% 13.9 52.7%
Fr(OD)   65.8 73.6%       27.0 94.2%

CA3 OD 05/06/16     TGW OD 12/16/16    
  MN 18     MN 50    
  OD 181     OD      
  OW 625     OW      
  Gross 1245     Gross      

OD/PS muti 2.75     OD/PS muti      
  OW/MN multi 34.53     OW/MN multi      
  OW/OD multi 3.45     OW/OD multi      
  Tot/OD multi 6.88     Tot/OD multi      
  Tot/OW multi 1.99     Tot/OW multi      
Edited by POTUS

The Pre-sales for Friday,

The Great Wall,  26.71M 

The Wasted Times, 6.38M

Hacksaw Ridge, 1.54M

Blood of Youth, 1.24M

Your Name, 0.60M

The Great Wall had a strong previews however the WoM is not that good. With such a huge preview number, the pre-sale of OD is really weak. The Wasted Times and Blood of Youth also have a mediocre pre-sale and I wouldn't be suprised if their showtimes will more or less transfer to some strong holders such as Hacksaw Ridge on Saturday.

And holders, Your Name loses 75% of its showtimes, even though it can hardly reach 600M/$87M, it will still have a nice increase on weekend, I personally dislike this film, but it's definitely a success due to its low budget. Similarly, Fantastic Beasts cannot pass 600M/$87M too. Sully just gets 0.5% of the total showtimes on Friday hence it nearly ends its run here. Hacksaw Ridge loses 62.5% of its showtimes, but excellent WOM and decent pre-sale will help a lot, it will of course decrease tomorrow but will have a nice weekend number. It's very safe to say that Hacksaw Ridge will easily pass 300M/$43.5M In China and even has potential to get more ("Lord, please help me get one more." Yeah, more money and nominations:lol:).

Edited by nVIDIADriver
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, jiangsen said:

Fantastic Beasts' run has been extended until 1.24.17

Is that quotable? I think a few FB fans would be very happy to read that

But not with many theatres or how does that work? As I haven't seen it in the top 5 estimates. I do not want awake wrong hopes.

25 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Is that quotable? I think a few FB fans would be very happy to read that

But not with many theatres or how does that work? As I haven't seen it in the top 5 estimates. I do not want awake wrong hopes.

Yes that's official though it won't add much to the final BO. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Lihongkim said:

ZYM again insults chinese history. In "The Flowers of War", a white man saved Chinese from Japan war. And now a group of white men saved China from monster. 

I lost interest when I saw Damon showed his arrow skill to impress Chinese generals. Wtf, I felt quite embarrassed. 

It's good to see more coproduction but this story is about the Chinese Great Wall, they should treat C-actor as the most important role. 

Chinese movies haven't targeted non-Chinese audience. Their film is very Chinese and mostly adopted from the novel which only well-known by Chinese. That's why C-movie isn't successful in oversea market. 

I think the TGW may be specially targeted at OS audience with Damon being the hook

(as much as for the local audience; is Andy Lau still a big star?) to counter the onslaught of big H'wood movies like

Dr Strange, and Rogue One. The popularity of American made movies with spectacle

and special fx has been a concern for the erosion of Chinese culture in China. Look at the massive

revenue take of T:AoE & Furious 7, the super-legginess of Zootopia. It's mind-boggling to me.

Now a Japanese anime about gender confusion is making big money too. Time is changing.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, chrisman0606 said:

What determine such extension, and why did FB received such and not Doctor Strange? 

Usually if a film still has some gas left in the tank after 30 days, they can opt for an extension. Extensions through the film bureau are expensive though and Disney may have already lost its bargaining power once Zootopia was granted an extension earlier in the year.

• Like 1