A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

11 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

rest of 2020 after CNY is dead. We should just expect something in 2021, like Shang-Chi.

On the one hand, dead market is a bummer. Hopefully something breaks out like Ne Zha with its 5B out of nowhere.  

oOn the other hand, I wouldn’t mind some pent up demand for when Shang-Chi rolls around 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gavin Feng said:

rest of 2020 after CNY is dead. We should just expect something in 2021, like Shang-Chi.

Mulan? Or is that coming out early in China?

edit- my bad already asked and answered. 

Edited by Jamiem

So Frozen 2 has now settled well.

Spoiler

Frozen II Ralph Breaks The Internet Difference
Previews ¥1,162 ¥423 2.75
Friday ¥73,350 ¥28,623 2.56
Saturday ¥166,824 ¥59,847 2.79
Sunday ¥132,326 ¥46,776 2.83
Monday ¥23,532 ¥9,548 2.46
Tuesday ¥19,580 ¥8,055 2.43
Wednesday ¥16,228 ¥6,860 2.37
Thursday ¥14,757 ¥6,031 2.45
Week One ¥447,759 ¥166,163 2.69
Friday ¥28,700 ¥11,050 2.60
Saturday ¥90,800 ¥33,785 2.69
Sunday ¥69,500 ¥26,200 2.65
Monday ¥11,000 ¥3,926 2.80
Tuesday   ¥3,290 0.00
Wednesday   ¥3,019 0.00
Thursday   ¥2,611 0.00
Week Two   ¥83,881 0.00
Rest   ¥21,130  
Total   ¥271,174  
Multiple   2.00  

Expecting 665mn by Thursday and around 80-90mn 3rd weekend. Shall hit 825mn Approx I guess, if no extension is given. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jedi Jat said:

F1 would be 297. I think may be Japan will fell short to make that tough. SK + Japan + Korea shall grow perhaps.

Rest Asia +50mn.

Japan is gonna do 160+. So even getting close is a miracle. To me Frozen in Japan is impressive on the level of TFA in USA.

F1 Japan much more impressive than TFA DOM for me. In 5 years after Frozen, next highest movie from the same country has done 50% Frozen (BoRhap). 4 years after TFA has seen a movie get within 90%.   

Your Name of course got to nearly 100%, but conditions for locals and imports can be very different.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

F1 Japan much more impressive than TFA DOM for me. In 5 years after Frozen, next highest movie from the same country has done 50% Frozen (BoRhap).

I was thinking that as well and may be that's right too as with footfalls on decline worldwide, Frozen almost did what uber Blockbuster of 90s did.

TFA on other hand, got about 26% of USA in theatres, while Frozen was just around 17%.

8 minutes ago, Jedi Jat said:

TFA on other hand, got about 26% of USA in theatres, while Frozen was just around 17%.

DOM annual theatergoing is a much larger fraction of the population than Japan, so that 17 looks a lot more impressive to me than the 26.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, cdsacken said:

I mean guys I feel like we are splitting hairs here. TFA did nearly 1 billion in one country. Frozen is on that level OR greater. How about on the level of Titanic? That better?

Titanic Japan (original release) was $201 in 1998 according to Mojo. Much more impressive than F1 Japan and Titanic Dom.

And among F1 Japan and Titanic Dom I feel the former is more impressive.

12 minutes ago, a2k said:

Titanic Japan (original release) was $201 in 1998 according to Mojo. Much more impressive than F1 Japan 

Why? There's almost no ticket price inflation in Japan. And original Hollywood films were more likely to do huge grosses back in that era (even pure action flicks like Armageddon and Independence Day grossed ¥13.4 billion and ¥10.65 billion respectively-both impossible to replicate today in Japan).

• Like 5

21 hours ago, Arendelle Legion said:

F1 Japan much more impressive than TFA DOM for me. In 5 years after Frozen, next highest movie from the same country has done 50% Frozen (BoRhap). 4 years after TFA has seen a movie get within 90%.   

Your Name of course got to nearly 100%, but conditions for locals and imports can be very different.

The your name reason is why I woud say it's not much more impressive because it's unfair to just look at import in Japan. There are a lot of other movies that are big and only looking at 50% (or how ever much it is) and say well no other movie did this feat in the past 10 years is a lot more likely to happen if you only have 50% of the market that is allow to compete. And whilest I agree that condition for local and import can be very deffirent in Japan they are a lot more simmilar than in China for example. The big difference is YN only releasing it's dvd version after 1 year compared to disneys  4 months that might have cut it's legs by 50m. 

So if we asume frozen does 30B in Japan with DVD comming only after 9-12 months it would basicly be tied with spirited away and it would be more impressive than TFA but not 'much more' in my opinion.

We could say TFA adjusted isn't even that high but with adjusting comes a lot of other problems and variables. TFA increased 25% over the previous best and thats quite a feat as well.

If we are speaking about the run it self obviously every japanese smash hit will win out because having 10+ crazy weeks is a lot more fun than crazy first 12 -18 days or so

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1