A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

5 minutes ago, tokila said:

seriously? What would a country not want external investment. Its literally money being pumped into your economy and creating jobs with another countries corp's money. Why do you think China has boomed that past 15 years or so? Think about it. 

With or without Star Wars, Disney will invest in China so that they can answer to their shareholder. They will not get out of China just because SW is not doing well. In fact, they have to invest more because in 2 to 3 years time, the Chinese market will be the biggest. The relationship is reversed. My sense is that Disney has to start new franchise or buy existing ones that has an appeal to the Chinese. 

By the way, Chinese companies are no pushovers these days. In fact, I dare say that Chinese internet economy is more vibrant than even USA. In other words, it is not relying on Google, Apple or Amazon but Huawei, Alibaba and Tencent to fuel growth. Wanda's purchase of Legendary Films is just the start.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, peludo said:

WoW is indeed a massive computer game played online. That is all I know about it. I have never played.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_of_Warcraft

With 5.6 million subscribers as of the end of June 2015,World of Warcraft is currently the world's most-subscribed MMORPG, and holds the Guinness World Record for the most popular MMORPG by subscribers. Having grossed over 10 billion dollars as of July 2012, it is also the highest grossing video game of all time. In January 2014, it was announced that more than 100 million accounts had been created over the game's lifetime

:stretcher:

1 hour ago, peludo said:

I guess that those acronyms mean:

S&B (Batman v Superman)

CA3 (Captain America: Civil War)

X-Men (Obvious)

WOW (World of Warcraft)

Alice (Alice in Wonderland 2)

ID4 2 (Independence Day 2)

ST: B (Star Trek: Beyond)

Bourne 5 (Obvious)

IA5 (Ice Age 5)

Dr. S (Doctor Strange)

If SW7 is headed to 800m Yuan, I think all of this films can outgross it (some of them like CA3, WoW, X-Men or ID4 2 are locked, IMO).

You forgot FB = Fantastic Beasts:P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, peludo said:

S&B (Batman v Superman)

X-Men (Obvious)

WOW (World of Warcraft)

Bourne 5 (Obvious)

IA5 (Ice Age 5)

Dr. S (Doctor Strange)

If SW7 is headed to 800m Yuan, I think all of this films can outgross it (some of them like CA3, WoW, X-Men or ID4 2 are locked, IMO).

ID4 2 has added the Chinese space squadron. That will help. CA3 and X-Men should be popular. Why do you think WoW is locked?

2 hours ago, peludo said:

S&B (Batman v Superman)

X-Men (Obvious)

WOW (World of Warcraft)

Bourne 5 (Obvious)

IA5 (Ice Age 5)

Dr. S (Doctor Strange)

IA5 is a lock too. I believe Fantastic Beasts has high chances since WB can market things very well and this just needs awareness of it belonging to the HP world. With Benedict Cumberbatch and the fact that even Ant-Man made 105m here and that this will have magic and will be visually beautiful and has parts shot in the Himalayas, Dr.S is a lock too. Alice has high chances too and should be able to do it if its visuals heavy and that clicks here again. The rest are all 50:50. Of course, in the end, by locks I just mean 90%+ chances and it is not impossible that one of them misses the mark due to some unprecedented/currently improbable reason.

1 hour ago, sgchn40 said:

ID4 2 has added the Chinese space squadron. That will help. CA3 and X-Men should be popular. Why do you think WoW is locked?

WOW has been immensely popular in China. Most importantly though, it is the 'next level' in CGI. It will have massive battles and stuff too. It should definitely be a big big hit here.

Edited by Infernus
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, James said:

I know. But firedeep, or who put the list mentiond FB too and peludo forgot to put it.:)

uups and wow, I missed FB too, but wouldn't have known that one either, even as Fantastic Beasts I had to look it up beside knowing about the existence of the book in general.

IP MAN 3 now hitting Chinese theaters on Friday, March 4.

Edited by terrestrial

12 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

uups and wow, I missed FB too, but wouldn't have known that one either, even as Fantastic Beasts I had to look it up beside knowing about the existence of the book in general.

IP MAN 3 now hitting Chinese theaters on Friday, March 4.

Prefer if we didn't use existing acronyms as it gets confusing, to me FB means Final Boss which in this case is Avatar.

13 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

What happened to the Star Wars thread in the China subsection? That was my favorite thread as it has Chinese posters who were able to provide numbers which were a great form of entertainment.

Sorry, I think we kinda started to move away from SW7. Currently tracking at around ¥32m. I suspect that the final number would drop by less than 15% today.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sgchn40 said:

Sorry, I think we kinda started to move away from SW7. Currently tracking at around ¥32m. I suspect that the final number would drop by less than 15% today.

Thank you! Are there any website where an English speaker can see the estimates?

9 hours ago, TommyA10 said:

Don't worry. Even if TFA doesn't beat Titanic's $2.187 billion worldwide, it will definitely beat its original theatrical run of about $1.8 billion. A potential re-release of TFA will take care of the ship's re-release total.

Which is over 3b in today's today's dollars

• Like 3