A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

. on what China censored in 2015--biggest challenges were not what you think

Sunday’s gross receipts of "Star Wars" fell 35% from Saturday’s opening- by

Social media reaction points to a truncated run for "Star Wars" - by

Chinese filmgoers: Creating nostalgia while introducing a new story doesn’t have to conflict.” via

4DX technology to expand to theaters in China - via DCinema Today

Edited by terrestrial

43 minutes ago, sgchn40 said:

So would anything produced by Legendary Entertainment be considered as "domestic production"?

4 hours ago, numble said:

So will films produced by Legendary Films be considered imports? I assume yes since it is still legally an American company? Is there any specific regulation on foreign imports and co-productions? I can read Chinese if needed.

I did some preliminary looking into the issue myself.  This is the memorandum of understanding that provides for the 34 film quota, which revised the previous 20 film quota:

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/202987.pdf

There is some leeway to say that Legendary would be considered Chinese, as you can argue that it is now a Chinese-invested enterprise:

"Chinese enterprise" includes any Chinese state-owned or state-controlled enterprise or private Chinese-invested enterprise.

Other interesting tidbits:

The recent expansion of the quota only applied to films that can be screened in 3D/IMAX, maybe one reason why they released Furious 7 in 3D:

China confirms that enhanced format films are not subject to the 20-film commitment set forth in the Additional Commitments under Sector 2.D. of its GATS Schedule ("RevenueSharing Film Commitment"). China further agrees that it will allow the importation of at least 14 enhanced format revenue-sharing films per calendar year beginning in 2012.

They will negotiate for changes in  2017:

In calendar year 2017, China and the United States will engage in consultations. Through this consultation process, China and the United States will provide for further meaningful compensation to the United States in terms of the number of enhanced format films to be imported each year and the share of gross box office receipts received by U.S. enterprises.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sgchn40 said:

So would anything produced by Legendary Entertainment be considered as "domestic production"?

Unless the movie has one third of its cast and creative team as Chinese people, beside investments. So Warcraft wont be considered as a China-US co-production.

But Great War and a possible PR2 will be made as official China-US co-productions... which will be treated as Chinese local films, in terms of marketing and release date.

Edited by firedeep
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, peludo said:

Just four examples:

HP1 did $24m in Spain with 6.3 million admissions. With today average ticket price, that amount of admissions means $43m (+79%)

In UK, it did $91m. It sold an estimated 17.56 million admissions, which today means about $170m (+86%)

In Germany it sold 12.5 million admissions which means, if I am not wrong, about $120m (it did $67m) (+79%)

In France it sold 9.5 million admissions which means about $75m against the real $48m (+56%)

In Germany, France and Spain cases, HP1 sold more admissions than TFA. And in UK case it can be quite close.

Even in US the estimated adjusted figure is a 51% bigger than the real figure. And you are saying a mere +38% increase in 14 years even considering that HP1 had worse ER than now. And of course, in the adjusted figures I do not include the 3D effect that SW7 has.

DH2 did $60m in China 5 years ago. Today HP would be easily a 150-200 contender. Fantastic Beasts will be a good test to know it.

Said this, I agree with you that people have more entertainment sources than in 2001 and the amounts made this 2015 not just by TFA, but by JW, AoU, F7 or Minions have an incredible merit. But the same applies if we compare 2001 with 1977 and A New Hope times ;) What kind of entertainment or ways to see films existed in 1977 beyond going to the cinemas? no one.

It is impossible to compare different eras for those factors, so we just have to look at the BO figures/admissions, or just we can avoid this kind of comparisons. But it is more fun to compare :)

BTW, Welcome to the forums!!

Edit: My bad. Just seen that TFA will sell more than 10 million admissions in France, so TFA wins there, but not by much.

Thats some really interesting data. Do you have similar data for Titanic? I would love to see what it would have made today with the same admissions in a lot of big countries.

36 minutes ago, Infernus said:

Thats some really interesting data. Do you have similar data for Titanic? I would love to see what it would have made today with the same admissions in a lot of big countries.

Yes, but this is not the appropiate thread to do it. We can use this one:

http://forums.boxofficetheory.com/topic/18043-adjusting-exchange-rates/

Tuesday Estimates
Star Wars: TFA  39.9M/434M, $6.06m/$66m

Detective Chinatown 15M/666M

Mr. Six 8M/840M

Mojin 4.2M/1645M

Sherlock 3.6M/143M

Wow, looks TFA will only have 15% showtimes on Saturday, sharply drop.(JW 2nd weekend had 22%)

Edited by The Good Olive
  • Like 11

3 minutes ago, The Good Olive said:

My Prediction for the next days

33 - 447

29 - 476

38 - 514

65 - 579

55 - 634

So around 630-640M($97-98m) after 2nd Sunday.

55m Sunday would be down just 60%. Should be 66%+ with those showtimes- 45m.

Showtimes are usually understated 4 days out I noticed. Mite be closer to 20%. But still, with these drops it won't matter.

There are new openers on thu, Fri and sat.  2 of them have several million in pre-sales already. This could get ugly. 

Maoyan shows 15% ST on friday. 10% sat. So sat will probably rise 15%. 

If pre-sales for tomorrow are right and it drops 20%, I think it goes like this. 

48m M 

40m T 

32m W 

26m T 

34m F 

55m S 

40m Su

622m  66% drop the following week and it's just 100m more before KFP3 opens. 90% drop that week.

Would be close to T5 in yuan but lose in dollars due to XR. $110-115m

This went from ugly last Thursday to looking good to Fugly.

such is life

Edited by No Prisoners
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, sgchn40 said:

Given that SW7 worldwide gross is now 1.733 billion, with additional $150m from North America and $60m from China, can it beat Titanic 2.187 billon worldwide? It seems like even this is a question mark now...

I'd say no.  That would be a $1.943 total.  It would need to make another $244m off a non China $51m O/S last w/e.