A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

4 minutes ago, Olive said:

Friday showtimes:

WC 31.9%

Dory 31.0%

MT 18.7%

X-men 11%

Is that good for a Pixar film? Or does this just mean that warcraft is gonna hit even harder than previously thought?

10 minutes ago, feasby007 said:

Is that good for a Pixar film? Or does this just mean that warcraft is gonna hit even harder than previously thought?

Presales are on par with Zootopia, but it has much more showtimes than Zoo.

WC will have a relatively bigger drop since last Friday was holiday.

2 minutes ago, Olive said:

Presales are on par with Zootopia, but it has much more showtimes than Zoo.

WC will have a relatively bigger drop since last Friday was holiday.

So Dory will likely have a bigger opening than previous Pixar films (like inside outs petty 78m Yuan opening)? And how big a drop are you expecting for WC? Has WOM been good over past couple of days?

6 minutes ago, feasby007 said:

So Dory will likely have a bigger opening than previous Pixar films (like inside outs petty 78m Yuan opening)? And how big a drop are you expecting for WC? Has WOM been good over past couple of days?

55%-60% drop for 3-day weekend,  since last Sunday was not usual off day.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Belakor said:

He is taking out of context everything.

Warcraft is American.

China hasn´t made a single film that earns more than 50m OS.

Warcraft is in engilsh.

But I get his point, China has a massive audience that can compete and over take the american.

Yes, Warcraft is American but Chinese money, Lol.

It will make 3x more than its homeland from China alone.  

Sequel won't do well in NA, esp WC was treated like a shit there. If WC 2 will be made, it probably do nothing. So it's not weird if Warcraft 2 will be in Mandarin.

9 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

Trust me, Jackie Chan doesn't think before he speaks.... He spoke so much about Hong Kong Politics, and Singapore laws etc that there are many people boycotting his films. Take a look at his Hong Kong Box Office in the past 5 years, one flop after another. And there is a negative sentiment among many Malaysians after he was announced as a "Datuk" despite never contributed to Malaysia.
I love Jackie, grew up watching his movies, but this guy talks a lot of crap....

As long as it do well in Mainland, who care about HK, Lol. I checked HK box office and wtf I can't find any HK movie from the top 10 movie of all time. Their taste is so weird. They won't love their local movie anymore. I'm speechless that U a the Apple of My Eyes is the highest grossing Chinese language. And it's Taiwanese film. What surprised me most is even mega hit TV drama "Nirvana in Fire" didn't do well there. Lol, HK!

• Like 1

Dory might be close to Alice2,150M/320M,a bit under Alice2,because Dory didn't have a children's day boost.

Zootopia is a sleep hit.Its ow is nothing big.Dory presale is fall behind Angry Birds,Alice2.There is 3 wide release next week and more new releases the week after.There is no much room for Dory.

Edited by bangbingchan

1 hour ago, Lihongkim said:

Yes, Warcraft is American but Chinese money, Lol.

It will make 3x more than its homeland from China alone.  

Sequel won't do well in NA, esp WC was treated like a shit there. If WC 2 will be made, it probably do nothing. So it's not weird if Warcraft 2 will be in Mandarin.

And forget the 200m this is making from everywhere else outside of China? Why would they even do that? Not happening.

1 hour ago, Lihongkim said:

U will see. One day even Captain America will speak Mandarin, Lol.

tumblr_nre39bRyFq1s6a2abo1_500.gif

1 hour ago, Arlborn said:

And forget the 200m this is making from everywhere else outside of China? Why would they even do that? Not happening.

tumblr_nre39bRyFq1s6a2abo1_500.gif

Don't tell me even Batman does...Lol

Wait!...200M from how many country? 

The most important thing in HLW's though now is how to please Chinese audiences. U can see so many Co-productions happen in recent year. Yes, that's a trend. 

China has 1B people more than America, and they aren't mature as American in term of movie taste. So the quality isn't a big thing. There is high chance for HLW to make money there more than their homeland. They just focus much more on Chinese. 

HLW can spends budget as much as they can to make high quality film to please American's taste but remember Mermaid only had $30M+ budget and made over $500M in China. People do everything for money. I'm sure they will get this point. Co-production won't work imo. The Great Wall will be flopped in NA. It's not a good idea to connect East and West into one storyline. Anyway, American treats Chinese taste like a shit, so anything relate to China won't do well there. I saw some American comments, they swore they will never watch Chinese movie in their life. 

12 hours ago, Arlborn said:

i dont see this happening in our life time.

I agree. Many countries have made great movies for decades. They have not caught on OS. With engilsh more common place than ever with the Internet It would be hard for china to break out OS. 

CBO growth Is flattening out as we speak. The beat domestic people are still saying by 2017  and not noticong this.

Edited by No Prisoners
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, bangbingchan said:

But Dory will sure be the biggest pixar flim in China.The previous record is around ¥200M.Inside out is under ¥100M.Brave is only ¥30M.

It's interesting to see,Dory in China,Warcraft in North American,which one is higher?

Based on PS Its going to open 20m or less. If this doesnt have great WoM and big daily bumps, under 200m could easily happen.

WC pacing 32m

XMA 13m

FD PS at 3.3m. It needs a Zoo miracle

Edited by No Prisoners
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, No Prisoners said:

Based on PS Its going to open 20m or less. If this doesnt have great WoM and big daily bumps, under 200m could easily happen.

WC pacing 32m

XMA 13m

Pixar biggest ow is for sure.150/300M is Okay.Angry Birds is coming to end this weekend.There is no big animation until July 8.Family audiences need a new animation.I Can't believe Dory still fall behind MU.But Zootopia is barley happening.There is no enough room for Dory next week.

Edited by bangbingchan
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, No Prisoners said:

WC pacing 32m

XMA 13m

Looks like these WC and XMA numbers are spot on today. Im really impressed with these XMA holds this week

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Lihongkim said:

HLW can spends budget as much as they can to make high quality film to please American's taste but remember Mermaid only had $30M+ budget and made over $500M in China. People do everything for money. I'm sure they will get this point. Co-production won't work imo. The Great Wall will be flopped in NA. It's not a good idea to connect East and West into one storyline. Anyway, American treats Chinese taste like a shit, so anything relate to China won't do well there. I saw some American comments, they swore they will never watch Chinese movie in their life. 

I don't know about that, it's one of the first big ones. This one might not work but eventually they'll get it right in my opinion. I don't think it will ever be all that common though.

Regarding Americans swearing that they'll never watch Chinese movies, well, there are stupid people in every country of the world, don't judge all of America because of a few comments on the internet. With that said, most Chinese movies would indeed not appeal to most Americans, but that's mostly cultural differences speaking, that's normal.

I gotta say though that one of my exes made me watch a few Chinese and Korean TV shows with her and some of them are pretty good actually. I'm not from the States though.