A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

Just now, Rentaro1989 said:

THat USA rides disney animated films? Deffo true

I'm not sure how that makes them overhyped. People here like them so they tell others. It's a known brand so parents are comfortable taking their kids to them. The perspectives and stories presented tend to reflect values and social attitudes that are shared by a wide number of Americans. This is true of both Disney Animation and Pixar.

If it's not to your taste, that's fine. They're not really made for me either.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I'm not sure how that makes them overhyped. People here like them so they tell others. It's a known brand so parents are comfortable taking their kids to them. The perspectives and stories presented tend to reflect values and social attitudes that are shared by a wide number of Americans. This is true of both Disney Animation and Pixar.

If it's not to your taste, that's fine. They're not really made for me either.

I am not reffering to the people, but to the critics.Pumped up scores contributes to that overhype, which is unjustified.

9 minutes ago, Rentaro1989 said:

I am not reffering to the people, but to the critics.Pumped up scores contributes to that overhype, which is unjustified.

The critics are people. They're not some weird isolated group that has totally different tastes than anyone else. In any case, the "unjustified" again goes back to your opinion.

• Like 2

I do agree that American and to a lesser extent British critics seem to get enthusiastic quite easily with a 'best movie ever' coming out about each month. I find my country's (France) critics better in that regard and less prone to release hype : The Avengers has 4.1/5 so 82, Zootopia 80, Captain America 66, Age of Ultron 58 etc.

Edited by Cynosure

6 minutes ago, Cynosure said:

I do agree that American and to a lesser extent British critics seem to get enthusiastic quite easily with a 'best movie ever' coming out about each month. I find my country's (France) critics better in that regard and less prone to release hype : The Avengers has 4.1/5 so 82, Zootopia 80, Captain America 66, Age of Ultron 58 etc.

You do realize that Zootopia still averaged a 8.1/10 on rotten tomatoes, right?

11 minutes ago, cannastop said:

You do realize that Zootopia still averaged a 8.1/10 on rotten tomatoes, right?

Yes, yes. In fact I think Zootopia's score is quite fair. I just think some scores are laughably high. CW comes to mind.

edit : Nevermind, I misunderstood. It's actually the way RT functions that's an issue. It artificially increases or decreases the percentages by having reviews being either fresh or rotten. For example Dory has 95% with an average score of 7.74 so the percentage makes it look way better than what critics really think.

Edited by Cynosure
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Frank said:

How many dollars Warcraft made in this week? In China?

I don't know about this week, but apparently, going by what was said in this thread and today's currency rates, it's made 186m dollars total so far.

People are guessing it won't even get to 250m, which is a shame as I was hoping for 300m from China.

Edited by Arlborn

6 hours ago, Rentaro1989 said:

The critics in USA are so ''hard when it comes'' to  disney animation.Take a look at RT, most of DIsney's animated films take over 90%.THe truth is only few deserve it.

Pixar's Wall-e its the only masterpiece that comes in my mind.FInding Nemo was good but nothing like a classic.People overhyping those movies.No wonder they do so well in USA

agreed, and its not just their animation. I am sure you have heard of Rumours of Disney paying off Critics, I don't know whether its true. But let's be honest here, as much as I like Disney, they are definitely imposing their will, as in Critics see a Disney film, its almost like.. They are afraid of writing a negative review and offending this Giant.

Look at the big budgeted Disney Films out in 2016, Jungle Book, Zootopia and Civil War, all above 90+ RT score. Alice is an exception, but does JB and CW really deserves 90+ RT scores? They look more like 70/80+ RT score movies to me, and its not just that.... The same critics are writing down and putting negative reviews for Disney's competitors (eg Other Superhero Films that releases in close proximity to their beloved 3 movies i stated above).

It sounds BS to me tbh, I love Disney and its branding, but I think Critics are giving too much credit and some what lowering their expectations when reviewing Disney Movies.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

agreed, and its not just their animation. I am sure you have heard of Rumours of Disney paying off Critics, I don't know whether its true. But let's be honest here, as much as I like Disney, they are definitely imposing their will, as in Critics see a Disney film, its almost like.. They are afraid of writing a negative review and offending this Giant.

Look at the big budgeted Disney Films out in 2016, Jungle Book, Zootopia and Civil War, all above 90+ RT score. Alice is an exception, but does JB and CW really deserves 90+ RT scores? They look more like 70/80+ RT score movies to me, and its not just that.... The same critics are writing down and putting negative reviews for Disney's competitors (eg Other Superhero Films that releases in close proximity to their beloved 3 movies i stated above).

It sounds BS to me tbh, I love Disney and its branding, but I think Critics are giving too much credit and some what lowering their expectations when reviewing Disney Movies.

Lol.  Disney isn't paying off critics.  The people on this board who have pushed that agenda are fucking morons.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

JUngle Book was  enjoyable, not a classic but deffo a good movie.As far as CW as i have previously said, easily the most overrated movie ever in terms of ratings.I litterally fall asleep in the cinema, even a 70-80 is too high for this mediocrity.they rated a decent 7,1/10 in greece but i am pretty sure theyw ere lower rating across europe(inb terms of average critics).

As far as Finding Dory...aye (Variety  wrote a controversial review, u would think they find it mediocre) then i checked Metacritic and it gave it a solid 100, aye a 100.THe site that broke the embargo to give Warcraft a 0/100.All these sites that are market each other the wire/variety/indiewire are all well known for their  above the limits prefferance towards DIsney.

I wont go as far and say they r getting paid, but they are defenently quite generous with the ratings towards them,DIsney is incredibly influencial and fearsome

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SoSaysI said:

Lol.  Disney isn't paying off critics.  The people on this board who have pushed that agenda are fucking morons.

haha, chill with the vulgarities. I don't think they are being paid, but like what Rentaro is saying, critics are more generous with reviews for Disney, it is a fact we cannot deny. Civil War was.. a disappointment.. JB was a good movie,but not really a classic imo. And then we have The Force Awakens, which is literally a ripped off.. of episode 4, over 90+ on RT. lol

• Like 2

Yes, yes. In fact I think Zootopia's score is quite fair. I just think some scores are laughably high. CW comes to mind.

edit : Nevermind, I misunderstood. It's actually the way RT functions that's an issue. It artificially increases or decreases the percentages by having reviews being either fresh or rotten. For example Dory has 95% with an average score of 7.74 so the percentage makes it look way better than what critics really think.

Doesn't fresh or rotten just mean if one thinks the film is worth watching or not? And the score how good it is? IMO hardly RT's fault how people interpretate the numbers. And how large portion of GA follows RT anyway? I believe they (including me) just listen WOM and check the reviews from couple of websites/other media.

The critics are people. They're not some weird isolated group that has totally different tastes than anyone else. In any case, the "unjustified" again goes back to your opinion.

Exactly. One might add you lot are fairly close to critics [emoji39]

Both WC and XMA looking at 66%~ bumps. FD heading to +125% which is pretty good but not indicating a WoM wave is coming like zoo.

WC    58-62m

FD     54-58m

XMA  20-22m

8 hours ago, Arlborn said:

I don't know about this week, but apparently, going by what was said in this thread and today's currency rates, it's made 186m dollars total so far.

People are guessing it won't even get to 250m, which is a shame as I was hoping for 300m from China.

under $225m and not a guess

NYSM2 still edging out ID2 in PS. Both looking at 50-70m OD

Edited by No Prisoners
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, No Prisoners said:

Both WC and XMA looking at 66%~ bumps. FD heading to +125% which is pretty good but not indicating a WoM wave is coming like zoo.

WC    58-62m

FD     54-58m

XMA  20-22m

Not good for ID2

7 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

haha, chill with the vulgarities. I don't think they are being paid, but like what Rentaro is saying, critics are more generous with reviews for Disney, it is a fact we cannot deny. Civil War was.. a disappointment.. JB was a good movie,but not really a classic imo. And then we have The Force Awakens, which is literally a ripped off.. of episode 4, over 90+ on RT. lol

Like @Telemachossays critics are people. They remembered original SW movies. They probably watched all Marvel movies. But they also watched many other movies and can compare them to the Disney ones. So there is a bias towards Disney as a brand. That s likely.

But american critics also like well-made movies. They like storylines that build towards the payoff final moments in the movie. They don't like plot holes. They don't like illogical out of nowhere moments. CW is a good example because it's a movie that really builds on its payoff moment while still having fun in between. it might be boring if you just like the action. The opposite ends would Probably be Warcraft. If you understand where they're coming, the reviews then makes sense and you can devise for yourself whether you're going to watch the movie or not.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, No Prisoners said:

WC    58-62m

FD     54-58m

XMA  20-22m

Looks like around the final WC and XMA numbers. But FD will be lower according to maoyan

• Like 1