A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

Very few Americans watch foreign films. There's a small group, plus of course because we're a country of immigrants, in the larger cities certain communities will seek out the latest imported movie from their original country. Almost all foreign films are subtitled here (instead of dubbed). The only dubbing I've seen is for anime or kung fu movies. 

5 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

Why is China not caring that much about Finding Dory?

I thought China LOVED talking animal animated films?

Not just China. OS wise, I think FD will be the most overestimated movie in a long time. 

1 hour ago, Telemachos said:

Very few Americans watch foreign films. There's a small group, plus of course because we're a country of immigrants, in the larger cities certain communities will seek out the latest imported movie from their original country. Almost all foreign films are subtitled here (instead of dubbed). The only dubbing I've seen is for anime or kung fu movies. 

yes we don't have that much dubbing,  we used to have more 30+ years ago. Some foreign films, spaghetti westerns(semi foreign) were partially dubbed, Arnold was dubbed because of his Teutonic accent in one movie, and many Mad Max(original) characters were dubbed because the distributor didn't think americans would understand the aussie accent. the oddness really spoiled it for me  Now the aussies all have excellent American accents. 

But it works for other countries. Im going to take a few kids to see FD in hindi tomorrow in Dehradun India.. Oh am I going to be bored.  Maybe I can down load a cam and sync the sound. Ill dub a dubbed movie, reverse dubbing:D

• Like 2

Well, movies weren't that big in China when the original Finding Nemo came out.

What that has got to do with anything? Or do you think that FD is not good on its own? Meaning that its success everywhere else is only die to nostalgia?

Looks like a 25-26 mill OD for FD.. Big problem is that its in yuan.. Not in $

WC around 36-38

XMA around 12-13

edit for a bit better number

Edited by fmpro
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ttr said:

What that has got to do with anything? Or do you think that FD is not good on its own? Meaning that its success everywhere else is only die to nostalgia?

Well, I haven't seen Finding Dory, so I don't know if it's good or not.

I think everyone knows that its appeal depends heavily on seeing Finding Nemo, though.

6 minutes ago, Olive said:

Friday est:

WC 41M/1228M

DORY 24.6M OD

X  13.25M/714M

MU OD 23.1M 3 years ago.

The next 2 days will tell us alot where Dory is headed.. I don't have high hopes

Well, I haven't seen Finding Dory, so I don't know if it's good or not.

I think everyone knows that its appeal depends heavily on seeing Finding Nemo, though.

Mmmm, dunno. We will never know how well FD would have done if there was no FN. Or is it harder/impossible to follow the film if one has not seen FN? I have not seen either one.

On 16/6/2016 at 9:36 PM, Telemachos said:

Can you provide a link to authenticate that? I've only seen the names of five companies: Atlas, Blizzard, Legendary,  Universal, and Tencent. Of those, only Legendary (owned by Wanda) and Tencent have Chinese backing.

I have read it in Holywood report, gotta search it again.Let me see

The critics in USA are so ''hard when it comes'' to  disney animation.Take a look at RT, most of DIsney's animated films take over 90%.THe truth is only few deserve it.

Pixar's Wall-e its the only masterpiece that comes in my mind.FInding Nemo was good but nothing like a classic.People overhyping those movies.No wonder they do so well in USA

3 minutes ago, Rentaro1989 said:

The critics in USA are so ''hard when it comes'' to  disney animation.Take a look at RT, most of DIsney's animated films take over 90%.THe truth is only few deserve it.

Pixar's Wall-e its the only masterpiece that comes in my mind.FInding Nemo was good but nothing like a classic.People overhyping those movies.No wonder they do so well in USA

But this is only your opinion, of course. It's hardly "truth".

• Like 2