A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

On 15/6/2016 at 5:22 PM, Agafin said:

Okay, did a bit of digging.

And yes, the person didn't read the article properly. Only Wanda's theaters (18% of all screens in the country) are involved with the 50% deal.

Wang’s companies may benefit the most among the Chinese companies if the film succeeds. Besides Legendary getting its cut as a co-producer, Wanda Cinema will likely keep half of the ticket sales from its theaters, plus a 5 percent to 7 percent distribution fee, according to Everbright Securities Co.

You obviously havent made enough reasarch, the Warcraft is actually a co-production with many chinese companies(its not only Legendary).WHen there is a  coo-production of that scale its on the CHinese goverment to decide if the other 25 will be distirbuted on the (Legendary-wanda).if  Chinese goverment decideds that a possible sequel will benefit Wanda, they will 110% do it

Just now, Arlborn said:

I  son't know abvalueshat,Hollywoodne of the first big ones. This one might not work but eventually they'll get it right in my opinion. I don't think it will ever be all that common though.

Regarding Americans swearing that they'll never watch Chinese movies, well, there are stupid people in every country of the world, don't judge all of America because of a few comments on the internet. With that said, most Chinese movies would indeed not appeal to most Americans, but that's mostly cultural differences speaking, that's normal.

I gotta say though that one of my exes made me watch a few Chinese and Korean TV shows with her and some of them are pretty good actually. I'm not from the States though.

Americans dont like watching subs or dubs. With hollywood producing  a majorIty of the big budgeted movies with high production values since 1930, subs and dubs Is an unecessary experience that Is not enjoyable.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rentaro1989 said:

Warcraft is actually a co-production with many chinese companies(its not only Legendary).

Can you provide a link to authenticate that? I've only seen the names of five companies: Atlas, Blizzard, Legendary,  Universal, and Tencent. Of those, only Legendary (owned by Wanda) and Tencent have Chinese backing.

Can you provide a link to authenticate that? I've only seen the names of five companies: Atlas, Blizzard, Legendary,  Universal, and Tencent. Of those, only Legendary (owned by Wanda) and Tencent have Chinese backing.

Intro to Chinese version of the film had the following

Universal

China Film co ltd

Tencent pictures

Taihe entertainment production

H.Brothers

Legendary

Blizzard Entertainment

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sirbadd said:

Universal

China Film co ltd

Tencent pictures

H.Brothers

Legendary

Blizzard Entertainment

Are any of those subsidiaries of the others, or distributors? There's no real reason why they would be listed in the Chinese release but not elsewhere. 

5 hours ago, Sirbadd said:

Universal

China Film co ltd

Tencent pictures

H.Brothers

Legendary

Blizzard Entertainment

Isn't China Film Group Corporation the sole importer of non-Chinese movies? Does that credit show up all the time, or no?

10 hours ago, Arlborn said:

I don't know about that, it's one of the first big ones. This one might not work but eventually they'll get it right in my opinion. I don't think it will ever be all that common though.

Regarding Americans swearing that they'll never watch Chinese movies, well, there are stupid people in every country of the world, don't judge all of America because of a few comments on the internet. With that said, most Chinese movies would indeed not appeal to most Americans, but that's mostly cultural differences speaking, that's normal.

I gotta say though that one of my exes made me watch a few Chinese and Korean TV shows with her and some of them are pretty good actually. I'm not from the States though.

Non-Hollywood movies have always been a niche thing in America. The only foreign language movie that was a mainstream success was Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, and that was partly because of the hype surrounding the action scenes.

You'll have to reach a really high bar to impress and engage the American audience. It's a bar that most American movies don't even meet, really. So color me skeptical when anyone says that Chinese productions can supplant Hollywood on its own turf.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cannastop said:

Non-Hollywood movies have always been a niche thing in America. The only foreign language movie that was a mainstream success was Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, and that was partly because of the hype surrounding the action scenes.

You'll have to reach a really high bar to impress and engage the American audience. It's a bar that most American movies don't even meet, really. So color me skeptical when anyone says that Chinese productions can supplant Hollywood on its own turf.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on that one.

Someone here has said it already and I agree; the biggest reason they don't care much for foreign movies is that they aren't used to subs and dubs at all, which is understandable really. If you try to watch a subbed or dubbed movie after going all your life without watching one the experience will understandably be quite jarring.

Hell, I've had to deal with it all my life and I can't stand dubbing myself, only in animation movies. Most people in my country aren't very fond of subs actually, they prefer dubbed movies.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

I'm going to have to disagree with you on that one.

Someone here has said it already and I agree; the biggest reason they don't care much for foreign movies is that they aren't used to subs and dubs at all, which is understandable really. If you try to watch a subbed or dubbed movie after going all your life without watching one the experience will understandably be quite jarring.

Hell, I've had to deal with it all my life and I can't stand dubbing myself, only in animation movies. Most people in my country aren't very fond of subs actually, they prefer dubbed movies.

And when the trailer of the new CTHD2 came out, people were complaining why it was filmed in English, instead of the original mandarin.

Harvey Weinstein is wise, and smart, and he brought in english-speaking actors/actress such as Donnie Yen and Michelle Yeoh onboard, and dubbed it Mandarin for the Chinese audiences instead, but Americans became the one who complain when they saw the first trailer... Gosh..

They obviously didn't know that the first CTHD pretty much flopped in China, and one of the many factors was because that Michelle Yeoh's and Chow Yun Fatt's mandarin was filled with Malaysian and Hong Kong accent respectively, and Harvey Weinstein wanted to prevent that.

So I have no idea what many american audiences want, they don't want dubs or subs, but when a chinese film is filmed in English, they boycott it.
And then we have Ip Man 3 and Mermaid which are not dubbed or subbed, and praised critically, being released in only 100 theaters.... but Ip Man 3 sold very well in DVDs and Bluray in North America, so I would think american audiences are slowly getting used to subs.

44 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

And when the trailer of the new CTHD2 came out, people were complaining why it was filmed in English, instead of the original mandarin.

Harvey Weinstein is wise, and smart, and he brought in english-speaking actors/actress such as Donnie Yen and Michelle Yeoh onboard, and dubbed it Mandarin for the Chinese audiences instead, but Americans became the one who complain when they saw the first trailer... Gosh..

They obviously didn't know that the first CTHD pretty much flopped in China, and one of the many factors was because that Michelle Yeoh's and Chow Yun Fatt's mandarin was filled with Malaysian and Hong Kong accent respectively, and Harvey Weinstein wanted to prevent that.

So I have no idea what many american audiences want, they don't want dubs or subs, but when a chinese film is filmed in English, they boycott it.
And then we have Ip Man 3 and Mermaid which are not dubbed or subbed, and praised critically, being released in only 100 theaters.... but Ip Man 3 sold very well in DVDs and Bluray in North America, so I would think american audiences are slowly getting used to subs.

Well, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon was the Chinese movie with the awesome fight scenes.

If you film the sequel in English as if it were a Hollywood production, what is it, then? The American movie with the awesome fight scenes? Part of the appeal was that the original was supposedly authentically Chinese, even if that was far from the case, with the actors who didn't speak Mandarin as a first language. And it makes little sense from a continuity standpoint to change languages.

So yes, if Chinese movies make it big in the USA, I'm guessing they'll be subtitled. That's how most foreign language movies are viewed in the country anyways.

16 minutes ago, A District 3 Engineer said:

Your weekend prediction is...? :)

for FD its hard to call. all up to WoM

typical pattern with average WoM would be, based on a normal PS multi and normal bumps, F 18m S 36m S 27m. 81m/$12.5m

Zoo did F 22m S 66m S 76m. 164m/$34m with huge WoM blowing up Sat and Sun 

the baseline is $12.5m, anything higher is up to audience reception

• Like 4

12 hours ago, No Prisoners said:

Americans dont like watching subs or dubs. With hollywood producing  a majorIty of the big budgeted movies with high production values since 1930, subs and dubs Is an unecessary experience that Is not enjoyable.

American is CLOSE-MINDED. It's not non-English speaking film is poor quality but THEY didn't welcome it on purpose. Thank to oversea audiences, who are open-minded, that make their film to reach BILLIONs dollar. 

5 minutes ago, Lihongkim said:

American is CLOSE-MINDED. It's not non-English speaking film is poor quality but THEY didn't welcome it on purpose. Thank to oversea audiences, who are open-minded, that make their film to reach BILLIONs dollar. 

OS has been watching dubbed for decades and are used to it. They started watching Hollywood in the 30s because of huge productions like GWTW or King Kong that couldn't be made locally. I cannot watch a dubbed movie, it just ruins it. I do watch subbed, but most people I know don't, they say "if I want to read, I'll open a book not go to a movie" Its what we're used to, nothing to do with closed mindedness, just used to a movie going experience for 90 years that has perfect lip sync and no subs. and if a foreign movie is fantastic, HLWD remakes it, another reason not to see the original.

Don't forget, a great Italian, French or Japanese film over the decades might make some money in a neighboring country, but they also don't do well in the rest of OS at large. Its just a HLWD thing. Production, marketing and many other reasons

• Like 3

1pm Pace

WC 33-35m

FD  19-21m

XM  12-13m

WC and XMA not bumping with theater loss. They should increase 75% tomorrow to 60m and 21m. Last Friday played like a Saturday and Sat like Sun. Cant compare WoW for Friday. Using tomorrow vs last Friday WC will be down 72%, and would be a little less since there is one more day of demand burn. XMA will be down about 50% at 22m Sat vs Last Fri

weekend est

WC  120m/$18.5m and will be down 65% WoW M-Th  for 65m. 1372m/$208m next thu when ID2 opens

FD    90m/$14m base, could be much higher

XMA  60m/$9m. M-Th will be down 50% WoW for 26m.   786m/$119.6m next Thurs

ID2 PS 1.1m, 33% of XMA at 7 days out and falling behind a local " Pirates of the Carribean Group Shaking 2" . They are not setting the world on fire but there will be a lot of screen loss for this weekends top 3

Edited by No Prisoners
  • Like 5

Both X Men and Warcraft have been holding well in the past few days, especially for the Former.

The effects of Piracy is really over-stated IMO, there was claims that Civil War was affected by Piracy a few weeks back, but look at X Men. Good Quality Pirated full movie, wit chinese subtitles available yet the hold is really good.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, No Prisoners said:

OS has been watching dubbed for decades and are used to it. They started watching Hollywood in the 30s because of huge productions like GWTW or King Kong that couldn't be made locally. I cannot watch a dubbed movie, it just ruins it. I do watch subbed, but most people I know don't, they say "if I want to read, I'll open a book not go to a movie" Its what we're used to, nothing to do with closed mindedness, just used to a movie going experience for 90 years that has perfect lip sync and no subs. and if a foreign movie is fantastic, HLWD remakes it, another reason not to see the original.

Don't forget, a great Italian, French or Japanese film over the decades might make some money in a neighboring country, but they also don't do well in the rest of OS at large. Its just a HLWD thing. Production, marketing and many other reasons

So this is beame American culture? I wonder has American watched foreign film? I do agree that dubbing isn't a good way but "subbing". It's the best way to watch foreign film. It's weird while the rest of the world is ok with that. 

1 hour ago, No Prisoners said:

ID2 PS 1.1m, 33% of XMA at 7 days out and falling behind a local " Pirates of the Carribean Group Shaking 2" . They are not setting the world on fire but there will be a lot of screen loss for this weekends top 3

It's Now u see me 2, not local movie.

• Like 1