A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

7 minutes ago, Olive Skywalker said:

Wolf Warriors 2 and Dangal both had 10x multi,

Okay. We will know soon. Dont get me wrong. I hope you`re right. I love these kind of runs for great movies

7 minutes ago, efialtes76 said:

+303%?

Moana increased 168%.

Presales for tomorrow will be about 5.2 if not more. With that it should blow past 168% increase quite easily. Will need about 10x presales to get to 55 which as Olive mentioned is not impossible given that both Dangal and WW2 also managed that. Heck even Thor 3 managed more than 8.8x presales on its second Saturday (although to be fair it had a small bump due to singles day)

Edited by ZeeSoh
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Chinese Box Office is nuts. I can't understand how you can have movies failing to reach x2 multiplier so often and then others getting x10 multis.

What is the explanation about this?

Saturation on average is pretty high for most movies on OW exception being Zootopia and Dangal, so you need great WOM to hold the showtimes. Both JL and Thor will hit 2 multi with latter with slightly better WOM which led to slightly better legs. Now Zootopia/ Dangal saturation never met demand until much much later in the run which led to crazy high multi of over 30 for Dangal. Dangal opened on same OW as Guardians, OD was over 6 times less yet it made twice as much money overall. When things blow up in China they really do blow up.

Edited by druv10

3 minutes ago, druv10 said:

How high do you see it? Can it hit 100, 150 or maybe even 200M?

too early to tell, If it hold as well as Zootopia on Monday, then 100M is locked

no big releases next weekend, bur Paddington opens on Dec 8

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, druv10 said:

Saturation on average is pretty high for most movies on OW exception being Zootopia and Dangal, so you need great WOM to hold the showtimes. Both JL and Thor will hit 2 multi with latter with slightly better WOM which led to slightly better legs. Now Zootopia/ Dangal saturation never met demand until much much later in the run which led to crazy high multi of over 30 for Dangal. 

Still, really If someone told me that an X movie made 1m OD in China, I would have told him that the most possible final would be under $10m.

I just can't see the logic in this...

2 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Still, really If someone told me that an X movie made 1m OD in China, I would have told him that the most possible final would be under $10m.

I just can't see the logic in this...

sometimes logic is thrown out of the window. Who saw 10 multiplier for Avatar when movies were barely hitting 3, sometimes things happen overall China market is very WOM dependent.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Michael Seng Wah said:

So looks like JL drops 73% from last FRI, is that ok?

Normal drop in China.Not decent But Okay.JL will over BvS next week without fees.A nice run for JL.

Coco might be more than JL in total in a few weeks.which means $100M on the way.

Edited by bangbingchan