A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

48 minutes ago, YLF said:

Do you think it’ll at least make 100m in China?

with an eventual 9, 9.1 rating no.   Coco was 9.6, Zoo 9.5.   A 9 for toon is like 8.6 for an SH.  Its ok but not great.

SV will make $25-30m OW,  $60-75m total, better than the $50m average for a toon

Aq will struggle to be flat today but its PTA is healthy and will gain shows throughout the week.  I'll update the projected total later.  Not bumping today does make the race with Vm very tight.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, NamakFiskKa said:

$265M is locked ?

It should make at least $265m.  $270ish is the target now

The three local releases are bombing, their PTA's are low.  The top grosser, Airpocalypse, has a 6.7 rating and looking to decline tomorrow

SV PS for Saturday suggest just a 30-50% bump and could be a close race with AQ which should bump over 100% as its shows are going from 13.9 to 18.1%

W/E est

SV $24m

Aq  $22m

Aq will be the highest daily grosser during the week

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, POTUS said:

The three local releases are bombing, their PTA's are low.  The top grosser, Airpocalypse, has a 6.7 rating and looking to decline tomorrow

SV PS for Saturday suggest just a 30-50% bump and could be a close race with AQ which should bump over 100% as its shows are going from 13.9 to 18.1%

W/E est

SV $24m

Aq  $22m

AQ almost 20% now..is spiderverse also DOA in china too ???

19 minutes ago, POTUS said:

W/E est

SV $24m

Aq  $22m

the three locals are performing pathetic. each will lose a lot financially.

• Like 1

Aqua is really strong tonight and will bump a bit today from a weak thursday like @POTUS predicted but still in my 30-35mill prediction range i did a few days ago

Aqua and Spidey will battle hard for first this weekend

• Astonished 4

33 minutes ago, fmpro said:

Aqua is really strong tonight and will bump a bit today from a weak thursday like @POTUS predicted but still in my 30-35mill prediction range i did a few days ago

Aqua and Spidey will battle hard for first this weekend

yup it's 33M to 44M between AQM and spidey till this minute.....AQM legs is so real long...lol..1,5 Billion for sure AQM tomorrow..

Edited by boyamama

55 minutes ago, fmpro said:

Aqua and Spidey will battle hard for first this weekend  AQ wins

Spidey PS going to be flat for Sat.  PSm should bump from 3.5 to 4.5.  Just a 30% bump tomorrow. Playing like SH not a toon. 

SV                      AQ

F     44.5                 33.5

S     58                    67

S     44                    50

Tot 146.5/$21.2    150.5/$21.8

21 minutes ago, boyamama said:

yup it's 33M to 44M between AQM and spidey till this minute.....AQM legs is so real long...lol..1,5 Billion for sure AQM tomorrow..

Rev%      Show%    Ratio

SV    29.5         19.4         1.52

Aq    22.2         13.9         1.59

AQ has highest PTA for the day and will for the weekend.  All other movies are <1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MrGlass2 said:

What about Master Z: The Ip Man Legacy with a 9.0 on Maoyan and good reviews, is it flopping?

Reviews in Singapore and Malaysia are bad compared to Hong Kong and China. But despite the good online reviews in HK and China - i don't think WoM is that good; a lot of people who purchases tickets are fans of Dave Bautista/Max Zhang(or even Max Zhang's wife who is far more famous than him)/Michelle Yeoh so I am not surprised about the online reviews for now.

Also... Raymond Wong - the producer created the Ip Man franchise starring Donnie Yen which propelled him into stardom. But this is just a spin-off where Yen did not even have a cameo; if this is part of the main Ip Man series starring Yen, we could be looking at more than 100m yuan 1st day(based on Ip Man 3's opening of 150m in 2016 March). 

But as this is a spin off with no real stars, and some audiences are puzzled why "Ip Man" is in the title without Ip Man himself appearing; some feel that this is made to con money. I don't think it will even hit even 80m yuan total

• Thanks 1

Friday estimates Dec.21
Spider-Verse - 44.2M / 45.32M, 2nd biggest OD for HLW Toon under HT3
Airpocalypse - 38.4M OD
Aquaman - 33.4M / 1481M, +11.5%
When Robbers Meet The Monster - 16.4M OD
Master Z: Ip Man Legacy - 9.4M/9.6M OD

Totoro 2.1m/118M

Padman 780k/56.22m

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I am surprised Godzilla 2 is not on the list. It seems like a huge crowdpleaser for GA in China. All of WB's monster movies have made over $150 million in China recently (Skull Island, Rampage, The Meg).
  • Like 1