A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

47 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Why is Aquaman losing so many screens? Does this mean it can't beat venom anymore?

4 new releases takes away many screens on OD/OW. But it will get many back if PTA is high enough. Still on track to equal or beat Venom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, fmpro said:

Okay. Still think it will drop though. With our trackrecord on this one its likely to stay flat 🤤

All the other holdover's BO% are 15-50% below their Show%. They will be stripped more than Aq with a near 1.5 PTA(62%BO to 43% Show)

I see your flat and raise you 10%

I think+20% can happen

Vm lost 40% of its shows both 2nd and 3rd weekends and bumped 37% and 31%

All 4 releases will only make 100-110m but will take 70% of shows for friday, 60% of shows Sat

Edited by POTUS
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, POTUS said:

All the other holdover's BO% are 15-50% below their Show%. They will be stripped more than Aq with a near 1.5 PTA(62%BO to 43% Show)

I see your flat and raise you 10%

I think+20% can happen

Vm lost 40% of its shows both 2nd and 3rd weekends and bumped 37% and 31%

All 4 releases will only make 100-110m but will take 70% of shows for friday

Game on POTUS 😎

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wotad said:

Avatar has a chance to be the highest grossing film ever in China i think.. it did 200m way back .

Mission Impossible 4 was pretty big in the beginning of 2012, $101m

MI5 did $136m in September 2015

MI6 did $182m in September 2018

Not all franchises see explosive growth. I would bet against Avatar being a Wolf Warrior 2-like monster.

1 hour ago, MattW said:

Mission Impossible 4 was pretty big in the beginning of 2012, $101m

MI5 did $136m in September 2015

MI6 did $182m in September 2018

Not all franchises see explosive growth. I would bet against Avatar being a Wolf Warrior 2-like monster.

If any Hollywood film can dethrone WW2, it's probably Avatar 2. MI4 was merely a successful blockbuster in China when it opened, whereas Avatar completely shattered existing box office records. Grossing over $200 million in China 9 years ago is a phenomenal feat, not to mention it also tripled the next highest grossing film at the time. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, peludo said:

I have doubts about Avatar too. I do not deny it will make tons of money, and it will probably become the biggest HLW film in China. But to talk about reaching WW2 is another level.

Market is still growing at a rapid pace, some US movie will beat WW2 sooner than later.

(And obligatory: don't bet against Jim, ever)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrGlass2 said:

Market is still growing at a rapid pace, some US movie will beat WW2 sooner than later.

(And obligatory: don't bet against Jim, ever)

I will not do any bet. Just saying it is hard to make $900m in a single market.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gavin Feng said:

Even if Avatar 2 really have the power to beat Wolf Warrior 2, I believe Disney's shitty marketing ability in China can make that unhappen.

Does Disney has a reputation for shitty marketing in China? This is the 1st time I've heard of this. But I think they will retain many of Fox's marketing people because Disney doesn't have the necessary experience to market mature and dark movies that are currently in devt at Fox.

• Like 1