A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

6 hours ago, Thanos Legion said:

One day, another solo MCU movie will do truly spectacular at CBO. But it won’t be FFH.    

Still the best MCU solo performance in the past half dozen years, can’t really complain.

I think crossing $150 is a big deal for any Solo CBM and crossing $175 is just fantastic. AQM and Venom raised the bar significantly in the same year and CMARVEL did very well recently. CMARVEL will beat FFH dom, os and ww but not in China. FFH is over-performing big time imo after the 1.67x multi that SMH showed 2 years back.

1 minute ago, a2k said:

I think crossing $150 is a big deal for any Solo CBM and crossing $175 is just fantastic. AQM and Venom raised the bar significantly in the same year and CMARVEL did very well recently. CMARVEL will beat FFH dom, os and ww but not in China. FFH is over-performing big time imo after the 1.67x multi that SMH showed 2 years back.

i dont think that captain marvel will beat spidey ww and os but we will see, os is locked for at least 700 (with china)

Edited by john2000

https://deadline.com/2019/07/mulan-teaser-trailer-175-million-views-24-hours-china-worldwide-disney-1202643480/

:ohmygod:

If China truly “accepts” this as their film we could be looking at something that challenges Wolf Warrior 2.

I’m not saying that’s going to happen, or even likely, but the early hype bodes well.

Edited by VenomXXR
  • Astonished 1

12 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

https://deadline.com/2019/07/mulan-teaser-trailer-175-million-views-24-hours-china-worldwide-disney-1202643480/

If China truly “accepts” this their film we could be looking at something that challenges Wolf Warrior 2.

I’m not saying that’s going to happen, or even likely, but the early hype bodes well.

hold on here, i think that you underestimate how hard is for hollywood films to be as big there, bc endgame did it that doesnt mean that other movies will make that much money, its very good that the movie has very big hype in china, and it will probably apply to the audience too, so i wouldnt suprised with the movie making 600 mill there, but again that endgame did it is a miracle

Edited by john2000
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

If China truly “accepts” this as their film we could be looking at something that challenges Wolf Warrior 2.

Hmm I think this will do well for sure but didn't FFH trailer get a similar number of views on Chinese social media. That is not breaking any records, although the kind of social media buzz Mulan got was much more impressive than Spidey

Edited by Menor

2 minutes ago, Menor said:

Hmm I think this will do well for sure but didn't FFH trailer get a similar number of views on Chinese social media. That is not breaking any records

From the article....

Of the 175M global Mulan look-sees, 52M came from China. The video uploaded by Disney there was reposted with frequency in the neighborhood of teasers for such mega Disney/Marvel titles as Endgame and Infinity WarMulan was also trending in China a few hours before the teaser drop, and after.

Keep in mind, this should have a much broader appeal to older consumers and families in China. Again, it all depends on quality and acceptance from the public, but this isn’t equivalent to a Furious trailer. 

Edited by VenomXXR
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, a2k said:

It’s definitely a strong performance, which is especially nice considering that Homecoming had awful reception.        

But Venom made top 20. AQM made top 15. Iron Man 3 made top 6, iirc. FFH is going to miss the top 30. It’s not the true MCU solo smash hit I’m waiting for.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

From the article....

Of the 175M global Mulan look-sees, 52M came from China. The video uploaded by Disney there was reposted with frequency in the neighborhood of teasers for such mega Disney/Marvel titles as Endgame and Infinity WarMulan was also trending in China a few hours before the teaser drop, and after.

Keep in mind, this should have a much broader appeal to older consumers and families in China. Again, it all depends on quality and acceptance from the public, but this isn’t equivalent to a Furious trailer. 

Not sure whether older consumers/families will be keen for an English retelling of their fork tale.

But with Donnie Yen/Jet Li/Gong Li - 3 absolutely big stars in China... in the same movie; general audiences will sure be curious and interested. If Disney is smart enough to get the big 3 down for marketing roadshows in various cities in China... the impact will be huge.

2 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

It’s definitely a strong performance, which is especially nice considering that Homecoming had awful reception.        

But Venom made top 20. AQM made top 15. Iron Man 3 made top 6, iirc. FFH is going to miss the top 30. It’s not the true MCU solo smash hit I’m waiting for.

it's gonna be the biggest solo behind venom and aqm. venom's china performance vis a vis it's os-china and dom was freakish while aqm having wan was an important factor. but yes, no one really saw it beating venom's incredible performance just couple of months down the line. venom-aqm china combo was an insane bo story.

but i hear you. a $225+ mcu solo will come. black widow maybe?

56 minutes ago, Menor said:

Hmm I think this will do well for sure but didn't FFH trailer get a similar number of views on Chinese social media. That is not breaking any records, although the kind of social media buzz Mulan got was much more impressive than Spidey

in fact its

number of view on weibo is larger than EG

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

21 minutes ago, a2k said:

but i hear you. a $225+ mcu solo will come. black widow maybe?

Eventually ERs, inflation, economic development, will make 225 easy for MCU solos. I’m waiting for something to hit the China top 20 at least. Might be waiting a long time, but that’s fine. I’ll still be following CBO in 2029, they’ll have taken like 30 more shots by then. Hope BW does well, but I’d be pretty surprised to see it over 200. 

Maybe DS2/3 or AM3 will be decent shots, but whenever it happens will take really good reception, and probably be unexpected.

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Eventually ERs, inflation, economic development, will make 225 easy for MCU solos. I’m waiting for something to hit the China top 20 at least. Might be waiting a long time, but that’s fine. I’ll still be following CBO in 2029, they’ll have taken like 30 more shots by then. Hope BW does well, but I’d be pretty surprised to see it over 200. 

Maybe DS2/3 or AM3 will be decent shots, but whenever it happens will take really good reception, and probably be unexpected.

yeah agree that top 20 is a better benchmark as inflation will eventually give a 'big' film.  widow's association with avengers right from the beginning make me think it could spring a big surprise, reception aiding of course.

• Like 1