A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

18 minutes ago, jatvision said:

All films 9+

Now I wonder if these are managed by studios behind them for getting as many shows as they can get after Day 1.

Abit suspicious the scores.. people feeling generous and giving all high scores?

@Gavin Fengyour thoughts?

I am gonna watch DC3 this weekend in Singapore - I enjoyed the first two.

2 hours ago, peludo said:

$147m OD... at 15:30

Wow it's so big, the avengers endgame record will fall this weekend. And I don't know why but I feel that this DC3 record will also fall in a few months. It's a matter of time, China has almost 5 times the population of the United States and the cinema market is exponential there.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LPLC said:

And I don't know why but I feel that this DC3 record will also fall in a few months.

Nah

2 minutes ago, LPLC said:

the cinema market is exponential there.

Not anymore. Things are still growing but this is not just growth, it’s insane hype and audience appeal for this specific one. I don’t expect anything to get even close until 2023 CNY or later.

7 minutes ago, LPLC said:

Wow it's so big, the avengers endgame record will fall this weekend. And I don't know why but I feel that this DC3 record will also fall in a few months. It's a matter of time, China has almost 5 times the population of the United States and the cinema market is exponential there.

almost 5 times? A bit lower. China 1.4b vs USA+Canada 365m = 3.8 times (and with quite lower ticket prices)

Anyway, yes, China is giant with still a long way to grow in BO (mainly in no so big cities or regions). Said this, I do not know if DC3 will be beaten so soon. The current number 1 (Wolf Warrior 2) was released 3 years and a half ago. 

BTW, with 1.017b Yuan it has already matched Endgame OD ($157m)

Edited by peludo

2 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

Nah

Not anymore. Things are still growing but this is not just growth, it’s insane hype and audience appeal for this specific one. I don’t expect anything to get even close until 2023 CNY or later.

*searches online to see if Wolf Warrior 3 has a release date*

Jokes aside, you are probably right. 

Just now, WandaLegion said:

Almost went with this, but gap from 21 to 20 is a real one. Depends how modest vs ambitious you wanna be.

I am thinking WW2 admits. That gives 7.8B or $1210M. 

There are South Asian actors/crossovers in this film, so interested on how it do there. Malaysia is big market but its shutdown but others must do well. Can hope for $1240M ish I guess.

4 minutes ago, peludo said:

almost 5 times? A bit lower. China 1.4b vs USA+Canada 365m = 3.8 times (and with quite lower ticket prices)

Anyway, yes, China is giant with still a long way to grow in BO

BTW, with 1.017b Yuan it has already matched Endgame OD ($157m)

Yes almost 4* my bad. But is it strange that I find it normal that the Chinese market is finally beating the American market ? or maybe i should find it amazing i don't know. I'm sure in a few years it might be the Indian market that beats the US market, but it's all just a matter of time again.

the last time Charlie Jat showed that the most viewed film in cinema history was Titanic with 410 million admissions. I am convinced that one day this record will be destroyed by a Chinese film and that this film will exceed 410 million admissions in China alone. In 10 years ? 20 years ? I don't know but it will happen that's for sure

Edited by LPLC
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

Nah

Do we know if there will be DC4?

On that note, thinking to watch DC 1 tonight. Not really high expectation because well trailer of 3rd one was sort of ehh but just to say I have watched first $1B film, need to.

Other day watched The Eight Hundred. Much better than Wolf Warrior 2. In fact there are 4 really well done scenes. Among the big grossers from China I have seen, will put it third after Ne Zha and Dying to Survive.

I think 800 is definitely better film than I found it. Knowing context and if I hadn't had to rely on subs, I think I would have even liked it.

Edited by jatvision