A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

It's outperforming it's former one, At least that sounds better. Looking for the second day it's 331M (WGB at 15:10 CST) vs 410.8M (TBALC)

Overall, CNY doesn't look anyway better than 2019 &2021 but that doesn't appreciate this type of statement that "Yes, MC needs Hollywood..for a words of victory in action." I will looking forward for a fair victory. At least, I should say not to involve politics for this month.

• Like 1

Lunar New Year OD (01/02 : Tue)

Water Gate Bridge : ¥658,275,500 (~$103.5M)

Only Fools Rush In : ¥234,191,800 (~$36.8M)

Too Cool To Die : ¥219,048,200 (~$34.4M)

Nice View : ¥189,472,500 (~$29.8M)

Boonie Bear: Back To Earth : ¥108,588,300 (~$17.1M)

Tuesday (Total) : ¥1,494,803,000 (~$235M)

*All are Maoyan Numbers.

Playing around with attendance numbers on Maoyan…

Battle at Lake Changjin
Sept. 30 (opening day; not a holiday) — 4.25 million
Oct. 1 (start of the National Day holiday) — 8.36 million
Oct. 2 — 8.95 million
Oct. 3 — 9.69 million
Oct. 4 — 9.95 million
Oct. 5 — 10.2 million
Oct. 6 – 10.6 million
Oct. 7 (last day of National Day holiday) — 8.1 million

Battle at Lake Changjin 2
Feb. 1 (opening day; Spring Festival) — 10.7 million

It's hard to describe The Battle at Lake Changjin 2 as a flop… the movie will still, in all likelihood, make a massive amount of money (I'd guess that ~$650ish million is the low end), and it barely needed to sell a single ticket to become profitable given how much money its predecessor made, but it's definitely not as impressive as it could be, especially given how inflated ticket prices are this holiday. The fact that opening day for a sequel, complete with Spring Festival boost, barely managed to get single-day attendance beyond the first movie's biggest days during National Day is underwhelming, and perhaps indicative of the fact that there's a domestic ceiling for patriotic Chinese war movies. Granted, a very high ceiling, but a ceiling all the same.

Today's attendance for Changjin 2 is definitely dipping below ten million, and I suspect that it will continue to fall throughout the holiday (February 4 could be ugly with the Beijing 2022 opening ceremony).

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

The fuck ¥67 ATP for Lake Changjin today. 

gotta inflate those numbers somehow… Chinese theaters have been suffering since summer 2021 and I guess they want to make money while they can

looking like a day 2 tally below ¥500 million despite those pricey tickets and a substantial increase in showtimes over yesterday

In terms of single movie, none of these movie should be seen as a big flop at this point. But from a perspective of the whole market, the performance is somehow embarrassing because CNY have always become higher and higher for the past ten years no matter how awful the growth of annual box office was. It is one of the very few periods that might draw those elder audience who don't have the habit of moviegoing into cinemas. Therefore, industry always have high expectations on CNY movies. Once it "fails", there is a possibility that any other big holiday period could go wrong, let alone average/normal weekend.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, pepsa said:

So no break out movie this CNY? Quite sad, always lovely to see an underdog movie take the market by storm

Comedy Film can not easily pass Films on Nationalist view/ Patriotism. So, it's totally a unlikely scenario as Water Gate Bridge so far has excellent ratings. This year is really goner be an exceptional case.

2 hours ago, pepsa said:

So no break out movie this CNY? Quite sad, always lovely to see an underdog movie take the market by storm

这个杀手不太冷 (Too Cool to Kill), the only out-and-out comedy of this year's Spring Festival crop, is holding better than the competition so far and is projected to pass 2 billion RMB, which is a lot… but otherwise, no major breakouts.

• Like 1

Is Totally ridiculous, all New Year movie box office will fall this year

The reason why this happening is that cinema think during the Spring Festival and COVID situation, the ticket can be expensive

They want to take advantage of this opportunity to harvest a lot of audience money,they think most of people can afford it,now the average ticket price of Spring Festival movie has reached more than $10, some place even reach $20+,most of people don't want to spend so much money just for seeing a movie (considering most of our country's per capita income in 600-800 dollars). That's why all the movies failed this year.

The cinema take customer as a pig and they can kill us any time,now customer show them who is the God.

Edited by Bruce
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

If budget of Lake Changjin is $200M, need ¥3.1B to breakeven. 

Seems like ¥460M today. Better walk-ins than expected.

Tomorrow pre-sales probably ¥125M from early looks. 

One trick is that Lake Changjin and Watergate Bridge filmed as a single production… I think that $200 million figure (or at least a significant portion of it) was split between the two movies, although they may have kicked some more money into Watergate Bridge since the technical elements of the movie are noticeably more competent than in part one. Pretty sure that they've already well surpassed breakeven on the overall production.

I think is a good example for all theater in the world.,customer not stupid.

Everybody want to make money,I Totally understand,but that not means you can use this situation to rip off consumers.

This kind of wanton price increase at the cinema is no different from fraud.

Edited by Bruce
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

film bureau suggest theaters lower the ticket price with a notice. It's a good news to audience like me.

Hide contents

but no. I'm not gonna go cinema for these movies.

So when they lower the price, will just result in lower grosses 👀

23 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

So weirdly maoyan real time gross isn't changing much next day with actuals but ATP goes down a lot as admit numbers increase.

Yday was having ¥67 atp, today actuals around ¥56

They also retroactively decreased ATP/increased attendance for Spring Festival between yesterday and today, which seems… like an interesting decision.