A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

3 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Just yesterday you were championing it being the biggest single market movie ever 🤣

I said if there is any film that can reach $1.0B in Lunar New Year. (Because, I didn't check Maoyan forecast). Well, I just looking forward for that title. Not particularly heavily invested on WGB. But, yes, I want to see when ¥6000M is breaking &which film is breaking that barrier. Also, will it happen this year 😅

Looks like Maoyan has now recalculated Changjin II to hit a total 4.9 billion RMB (~780 million USD), which is a respectable total for the movie as a sequel, but not at all impressive for the leading Chinese New Year release in a year that isn't offering much in the way of serious competition… 2022 is off to a pretty pathetic start for the Chinese box office

4 minutes ago, porginchina said:

Looks like Maoyan has now recalculated Changjin II to hit a total 4.9 billion RMB (~780 million USD), which is a respectable total for the movie as a sequel, but not at all impressive for the leading Chinese New Year release in a year that isn't offering much in the way of serious competition… 2022 is off to a pretty pathetic start for the Chinese box office

Unlike last year. WGB need to earn 90% of this measured total before 02/14. Valentine's Works seems to be quite strong as per Maoyan's "want to see"

4 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

Unlike last year. WGB need to earn 90% of this measured total before 02/14. Valentine's Works seems to be quite strong as per Maoyan's "want to see"

Valentine's Day has a bunch of Chinese romance films, which tend to get sky-high 'want to see' indexes (I believe driven by a young, female, super online demographic), that sometimes open big but almost always flame out immediately. None of the Valentine's Day releases should be any sort of threat to Changjin II… the worries at this stage are a) as a sequel that really just offers more of the same, the movie is unlikely to significantly grow its audience from part one b) the Olympics are likely to cut into viewership starting February 4

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

If only CCP gave a fuck about box office and cinemas.

For sure CCP doesn't care about the BO but somebody cares to fake the Maoyan scores for all the movies. 

Douban scores seem legitimate compared to Maoyan.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, charlie Jatinder said:

If only CCP gave a fuck about box office and cinemas.

The weird/disconcerting thing is that they actually do. They're actively encouraging the construction of cinemas around the country with the intention to boost China's soft power (and increase their ability to spread propaganda to the masses). They've released five-year plans about boosting soft power/cinema count/box office; it's definitely a priority. Box office is also a good way to brag about China's economic strength. They don't necessarily care about box office for foreign movies, but overall, for building domestic Chinese culture and showcasing the strength of China's economy… it's among their priorities.

So, basically, going to be really interesting to see how they react, assuming that Spring Festival 2022 box office doesn't seriously pick up

Man, this put a smile on my face. After months of propaganda and catering to the CCP in this thread. Not even chinese people are duped by these so called nationalist movies by using fake rating and fudging.  

Let the CCP know that this forum will never be a way to spread its agenda and its way of thinking.  

• Like 5

9 hours ago, porginchina said:

The weird/disconcerting thing is that they actually do. They're actively encouraging the construction of cinemas around the country with the intention to boost China's soft power (and increase their ability to spread propaganda to the masses). They've released five-year plans about boosting soft power/cinema count/box office; it's definitely a priority. Box office is also a good way to brag about China's economic strength. They don't necessarily care about box office for foreign movies, but overall, for building domestic Chinese culture and showcasing the strength of China's economy… it's among their priorities.

So, basically, going to be really interesting to see how they react, assuming that Spring Festival 2022 box office doesn't seriously pick up

What I meant.

On 8/28/2021 at 7:43 PM, charlie Jatinder said:

I don't understand the endgame of new film board. They wanted $9B as @Gavin Feng mentioned but are now lagging behind the target but are still fucking films. Like a MCU film is to release next week worldwide and they don't even have a date for it and releasing some film who probably no one care since its out online for months? and wasn't theatrical release anywhere else in world. WTF is wrong with them.

Yes Disney was dumb with shunning them for BW but they lost a film which could have done $100M for them in an otherwise dead July-August they had at box office.

Also frankly its shame Chinese film industry is so incompetent that they can't make run a market of potentially $10-15B for 12 months. Of the entire box office for Chinese industry nearly all of it come from 60 days of CNY, Summer blackout and Golden week in October. Compare that with USA and India, yes there are big months and down months but not like complete dead period for 70% of year.

On 8/28/2021 at 7:54 PM, Gavin Feng said:

I got used to this kind of situation long time ago.

Film is just a very small business here. They don't give a shit even if it dies.

NGL I am bit happy that Lake Changjin II underperforms since I didn't like the first one.

But in no way I am happy with bad CNY result. I really hoped to see a breakout in Nice View or something else. Not entirely sure what went wrong overall.

As for fake Maoyan score, its no different than companies paying users/BoTs for fake rating for products on Amazon.

• Like 3