A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

12 minutes ago, Clear Sky Master said:

Well because what you’re saying doesn’t match reality. You keep on going about how Avatar is so popular and how James Cameron is regarded as a deity in China and yet when all is said and done Avatar 2 is only going to finish number 40 on the highest grossing movies of all time list in China. That doesn’t make sense whatsoever. 

How many time I need to repeat Avatar 2 release in the bad time?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

Anything close to this would be great for Ant-Man. Is this assuming wom being bad or good?

Because BP2 presale and OD prediction doing extremely bad here,not a normal bad,even you consider every situation I still can’t believe a Marvel hero movie won’t even beat Shazam,so I lowballed my Antman 3’s prediction.

But I still believe if Antman 3 WOM is good,or even great ,masterpiece,then Antman 3 will gain huge success in China as a first back of Marvel,I would say $150m is not a dream with insane WOM

Edited by Sophia Jane

49 minutes ago, Sophia Jane said:

How many time I need to repeat Avatar 2 release in the bad time?

You are still not answering my question; if Avatar was so popular as you claim and James Cameron is considered a god in China why wasn’t Avatar 2 unable to overcome all obstacles in its way to a decent finish?

PS. Avatar 2 will probably be knocked out of top 50 highest grossing movies of all time list in China by the end of the year. Puny god.

Edited by Clear Sky Master

2 minutes ago, Clear Sky Master said:

You are still not answering my question; if Avatar was so popular as you claim and James Cameron is considered a god in China why wasn’t Avatar 2 unable to overcome all obstacles in its way to a decent finish?

PS. Avatar 2 will probably be knocked out of top 50 highest grossing movies of all time list in China by the end of the year. Puny god.

You've been told repeatedly. You can disagree with the assessment but stop asking the question because the response isn't going to change. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Clear Sky Master said:

Here’s something you simply do not want to accept: if Avatar was popular in China as you claim it was then people would have showed up in large droves when the government rescinded zero Covid policies or when the Covid panic finally died down. That is an undeniable fact. 

That never happened meaning Chinese folks treat Avatar just like another regular foreign movie. It’s nothing special in China. Oh and just because Avatar 2 made money in other East Asian territories and countries means nothing tbh. 

More like you refuse to apply simple logical thinking but never mind, your kind of people is common in this world. 

If one have Covid-19 before vaccine, and that is it, the damage to the lung or brain is done. Receiving a Covid-19 vaccine or not afterward doesn't matter. The damage is done. As simple as that the logic.

Edited by titanic2187
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Sophia Jane said:

Because BP2 presale and OD prediction doing extremely bad here,not a normal bad,even you consider every situation I still can’t believe a Marvel hero movie won’t even beat Shazam,so I lowballed my Antman 3’s prediction.

But I still believe if Antman 3 WOM is good,or even great ,masterpiece,then Antman 3 will gain huge success in China as a first back of Marvel,I would say $150m is not a dream with insane WOM

I can imagine a lot of Chinese fans have pretty much been conditioned to watch Marvel at home since Black Widow, especially if there's a good quality rip like there is of Black Panther now. Going to be a hard one to get people back I'd imagine. 

12 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

An utterly idiotic, yet so easily avoidable waste of money. The movie's already out on the high seas, and that's when China stops giving a damn. Also, doesn't China look down on black people? They removed John Boyega from the Star Wars posters there and hid Chadwick Boseman's face in the Black Panther posters. I'll be amazed if this even passes $10M there.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Factcheck said:

Who gave them the idea of releasing WF in China? That person is definitely not a well-wisher of MCU

I mean these reviews are coming from people watching it on D+ (and/or hate reviews) no? Wtf were they supposed to do, pretend the film doesn't exist? It's not like BP will stop being part of MCU films going forward 😅

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Factcheck said:

Who gave them the idea of releasing WF in China? That person is definitely not a well-wisher of MCU

9 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

An utterly idiotic, yet so easily avoidable waste of money. The movie's already out on the high seas, and that's when China stops giving a damn. Also, doesn't China look down on black people? They removed John Boyega from the Star Wars posters there and hid Chadwick Boseman's face in the Black Panther posters. I'll be amazed if this even passes $10M there.

8 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Oooooof, but that definitely tracks with WF getting awful reviews in a lot of Asia esp. SK as well.

The idea was just to make people believe that CFA has nothing personal to do Marvel (Disney). Like banning the entire Phase but yeah to keep rules to stop anything from releasing on Mainland China unless it's not according to their terms and conditions. But, at the end - Marvel Phase IV wasn't anything special "in quality" ofc other than No Way Home and Black Widow.

Conclusion - To prove that Audience aren't at all interested in Marvel anymore 

14 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

The idea was just to make people believe that CFA has nothing personal to do Marvel (Disney). Like banning the entire Phase but yeah to keep rules to stop anything from releasing on Mainland China unless it's not according to their terms and conditions. But, at the end - Marvel Phase IV wasn't anything special "in quality" ofc other than No Way Home and Black Widow.

Conclusion - To prove that Audience aren't at all interested in Marvel anymore 

NWH rating also wasn't any good in China; it was only better than Black Panther, and the BW rating was worse than any Infinity Saga movie.

Edited by Factcheck

18 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

I mean these reviews are coming from people watching it on D+ (and/or hate reviews) no? Wtf were they supposed to do, pretend the film doesn't exist? It's not like BP will stop being part of MCU films going forward 😅

Even if this grosses just $20 million in China, it would only hurt AMWQ there.

Just now, Factcheck said:

Even if this grosses just $20 million in China, it would only hurt AMWQ there.

The people buying tickets (doesn't seem like there's going to be a lot of them anyway) would've seen the film regardless, just on d+/through piracy instead. You simply can't "hide" a film. If they're gonna hate it, they're gonna hate it no matter what. It really doesn't matter.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

The people buying tickets (doesn't seem like there's going to be a lot of them anyway) would've seen the film regardless, just on d+/through piracy instead. You simply can't "hide" a film. If they're gonna hate it, they're gonna hate it no matter what. It really doesn't matter.

It's very likely that those who have spent money on WF won't spend money on the MCU movie that early again. And they would also share their bad MCU movie experience with friends and family, which would then negatively impact interest in AMWQ. Also, not all people pirate the movies, some people just wait for official streaming release which would have been after AMWQ in China I think.

Looks like Disney shouldn't have released WF in China, movie is already streaming, and just started their MCU comeback with Ant-man instead. Oh well.

That person saying WF is going to hurt AM. Doubt it. Most people aren't going to see WF in the first place. That's the problem.

Edited by Mojoguy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

1. the first Black Panther made over $100 million in China. So clearly, there is interest in a Black Panther movie. Piracy isn’t a big issue in China as some make it out to be. Most people still go to see movies on the big screen regardless whether it’s out on streaming elsewhere. If this movie is failing it’s because its a bit of a bore-fest and China-US tensions ain’t helping either. US just shot down a Chinese weather balloon yesterday so that’s certainly going to negatively impact most Hollywood movies going forward in China.

2. China never removed John Boyega from the Star Wars posters that’s all down to Disney’s marketing team in China. 

3. The original Black Panther poster in mainland China had Chadwick Boseman’s face showing. Hong Kong posters, on the other hand, had his face hidden behind a mask. Now whether that’s down to racism or someone just thought it would look way cooler i dunno.

Edited by Clear Sky Master
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1