A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Deadpool & Wolverine- July 26

41 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Does Inside Out 2 have a release date here? Not that I have high expectations. But this could emotionally connect with the audience at least on a small scale and increase from last movie. 

June 21

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

Does Inside Out 2 have a release date here? Not that I have high expectations. But this could emotionally connect with the audience at least on a small scale and increase from last movie. 

1 hour ago, AnthonyJPHer said:

June 21

Yes this is correct. But you must consider that American movies have a harder time in China now. I personally wouldn't expect much more for this movie than $15 million, which is what the first Inside Out and Elemental did in mainland China.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

Unfortunately there’s a local movie releasing the day after that has similar demo skews and large interest so there will probably be too much competition 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

I see no reason that it should do that. Maybe if it’s well received it can do 40-60M. Audience in China has moved on from Hollywood and Marvel. 

40m is way too low…60-80m is good.

Although 100m seems really hard since Hollywood doesn’t have major hit here since Avatar The Way of Water.Next HLW movie made 100m here probably Avatar 3/Spider-Man 4 

56 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

I see no reason that it should do that. Maybe if it’s well received it can do 40-60M. Audience in China has moved on from Hollywood and Marvel. 

Yeah, I frankly don't know why they even bothered. And even a friendlier China like in the previous decade would still not go in big numbers. The first Deadpool wasn't released at all there, and they only got the censored version of the sequel. Like Star Wars, they have no real connection to the brand, therefore they won't be motivated enough to go see this new one.

6 hours ago, thajdikt said:

Logan did $106M, Deadpool 2 was able to make $40M even though it had a PG-13 cut released 8 months later, X-Men Apocalypse did $120.8M, and most importantly Guardians 3 did $87M clearly showing that there is still a market there for Marvel. They've also announced a press tour in China with Jackman and Reynolds, the first since Far From Home.

I think with all those factors it surely could outgross Guardians 3's $87M there, if not pass $100M, I absolutely don't get the complete skepticism under all these circumstances.

42 minutes ago, KnightofNight237 said:

Logan did $106M, Deadpool 2 was able to make $40M even though it had a PG-13 cut released 8 months later, X-Men Apocalypse did $120.8M, and most importantly Guardians 3 did $87M clearly showing that there is still a market there for Marvel. They've also announced a press tour in China with Jackman and Reynolds, the first since Far From Home.

I think with all those factors it surely could outgross Guardians 3's $87M there, if not pass $100M, I absolutely don't get the complete skepticism under all these circumstances.

I would ignore all pre COVID comps. China's movie going taste have evolved since then. We have not had uber break outs like what we use to pre COVID. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

I would ignore all pre COVID comps. China's movie going taste have evolved since then. We have not had uber break outs like what we use to pre COVID. 

Yes Obviously, that's why i said Guardians 3 making $86.9M is the important comp, and this getting the first Marvel press tour in the market since FFH is important. If Guardians 3 can do $86.9M, I see no reason as to why this can't make atleast that. 

And the talk of pre-covid vs post, Guardians 3 equaled Vol1's BO, and came in $13M lower than Vol2. So not really an earth shattering decline as you are suggesting. The only reason I mentioned previous Wolverine, Deadpool 2, X-Men numbers was because this was being written off based on those movies not making much of a market for DP&W, but clearly there was a market.