baumer

Weekend #s Bond 90M Lincoln 900K Ralph Flight good holds

Sweeeeettttt :D :DSadly I was working so I couldn't watch it!

Unbelievable, I'm still in shock! I always knew he was talented and a hard worker but it just never worked out for him and suddenly in a matter of weeks..... Just wow
  • Like 1

SATURDAY 3:45 AM, 5TH UPDATE: Stay tuned right here for my continuous updates all weekend with domestic box office numbers for MGM/Sony Pictures’Skyfall iand DreamWorks Studios/Fox/Disney’s Lincoln, both of which received great reviews going into Friday. James Bond #23 is looking to open in North America with a $32M Friday and $80+M first weekend after doing record-setting business overseas of $321M through Wednesday. But rival studios think Sony is low-balling – and that Friday’s domestic debut for James Bond #23 is around $33M (including $4.6M from Thursday’s IMAX screenings and Friday midnights) and the weekend around $88M. No matter who’s right: this is absolutely the biggest-grossing 007 movie ever in the string of films since 1962 – not adjusted for inflation or higher ticket prices or IMAX premiums – especially now that it’s received a coveted ‘A’ CinemaScore from audiences. “Skyfall delivers. Blows away $67.5M on Quantum Of Solace by a lot,” a Sony exec gushes to me. “Quantumwas -4% from Friday on Saturday. Hopefully, Skyfall will use its ‘A’ Cinemascore to fuel Saturday and push it up even further.” Skyfall‘s 3,505-run wide release in U.S. and Canada set a new record for the global franchise. I’m still waiting for an updated number from Sony for overseas plays after it opened first overseas October 26th. As of Wednesday, the Sam Mendes-directed, John Logan-scripted, Daniel Craig-starring actioner had taken in $321M internationally But Hollywood now is betting that the worldwide total will be a gargantuan $500+M through Sunday - shaken, not stirred.

DreamWorks Studios/Fox/Disney’s PG-13 Lincoln is platforming in just 11 theatres and will build even more Oscar buzz for Steven Spielberg, Daniel Day-Lewis, Tony Kushner, and the rest with its massive opening Fruday. Despite a running time of 2-hours/30-minutes, Lincoln‘s insiders hoped the biopic could open with an impressive $40K-$50K per screen average for the weekend. But now that number is looking like $75K per screen average for a possible $900K this weekend based on Friday’s $260K. “Off to an incredible start with sold out shows in a number of theatres across the country,” a studio insider tells me. In NYC, 8 of the 14 shows in Union Square sold out. In DC, 7 PM-9 PM shows sold out with scramble to add a 9:20 screening. And in LA, the Arclight’s 5 PM, 6:45 PM, 7:30 PM, 8:00 PM, and 9:30 PM shows sold out. I’m told that, on Friday, Lincoln Square reporting $39,248, Union Square $35,032, and 9 more runs still to report. “A huge opening day,” a studio source gushed. Bodes well for holiday play where Disney has domestic and Twentieth Century Fox has overseas where surprisingly Lincoln movies have heat. Don’t believe me? Fox’s domestic loser Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter did 66.6% of its business abroad.

http://www.deadline....ategory/movies/

Edited by Ball Lightning

Give it up. Skyfall was marketed extremely well, QOS seemed to have no effect on Skyfall, that tells me QOS wasn't as badly received as some perceived it to be.

QoS was terrible and was badly received but Bond movies are standalones (despite QoS trying to be direct sequel to CR) so people aren`t inclined to skip it like they do with story arc movies. It was obvious from trailers that the story went into different direction and had nothing to do with QoS so why not give it a chance?

I preferred Skyfall to CR by a whisker. CR is a simple story very well told, but there's too much action in the first half and the Venice finale doesn't feel quite as satisfying as it should. What puts Skyfall on top for me is that it never feels the need to rush its story, which helps what it does show feel meatier. It often looks stunning too. The lighting in the Shanghai, Macau and Scotland scenes are almost dreamlike.