Neo

Pacific Rim: Uprising | March 23, 2018 | Steven S. DeKnight (Starz' Spartacus, Marvel's Daredevil) directing | John Boyega. Scott Eastwood joins as co-lead | Tag All Spoilers!

How much do you see it dropping?

Probably to at least 80m domestic or probably lower. Overseas can potentially make more money if they pander to the Chinese market. Though it should drop in Europe definitely Edited by John Marston
  • Like 1

I'm curious, why do you think it will drop?

Because the reaction to the first was mixed among the audience. Because the first one didn't actually expand past the fanbase. Because the first did not have the legs that shows that more and more people discovered it in theaters. Because the first actually lost to Grown Ups 2. Because the first one has only been a topic of discussion on the internet and not among the general audience at large. Because a lot of people who checked out the first won't be coming back for this (my wife is the first among them, she told me "I hope TF4 is not as boring as Pacific Rim was"). Because it did not break out on HV either.

Edited by grim22
  • Like 6

Because the reaction to the first was mixed among the audience. Because the first one didn't actually expand past the fanbase. Because the first did not have the legs that shows that more and more people discovered it in theaters. Because the first actually lost to Grown Ups 2. Because the first one has only been a topic of discussion on the internet and not among the general audience at large. Because a lot of people who checked out the first won't be coming back for this (my wife is the first among them, she told me "I hope TF4 is not as boring as Pacific Rim was"). Because it did not break out on HV either.

I don think WOM was mixed among the core base. Yes, it didn't expand beyond that, but that's not necessarily a recipe for doom. GROWN UPS 2 is meaningless in terms of talking about the sequel. I'm not expecting some insane expansion domestically, but I think reaching (or even topping) the first is not an impossibility. After all, the bar isn't exceedingly high.
  • Like 1

I don think WOM was mixed among the core base. Yes, it didn't expand beyond that, but that's not necessarily a recipe for doom. GROWN UPS 2 is meaningless in terms of talking about the sequel. I'm not expecting some insane expansion domestically, but I think reaching (or even topping) the first is not an impossibility. After all, the bar isn't exceedingly high.

In a less crowded market, yeah, reaching the first is not implausible at all. Just has to establish it as the big dog spectacle which can't be that hard in April unless somebody else moves there along with it.

This.

Count me as "the people that checked it out and won't bother seeing a sequel considering how much it was deceiving for a Del Toro movie".

So if there are people that actually bothered for the first one who won't care for the sequel, that doesn't bode well for good numbers nor staying flat. PR was such a meh non-event for a 200M tentpole that doesn't warrant a sequel at all.(The end didn't feature a sequel bait and was self-contained as well)

• Like 1

Okay, I know we've stopped talking about the sword a while back but I'd point out that swords do blunt pretty easily, especially massive sized ones like GD's. It may not have lasted the entire fight had they whipped it out at the beginning (especially since the kaiju would be deliberately trying to counter/break it it). It makes sense that, like the plasma cannon, it's a weapon designed as a surprise finisher once the Jaeger has worn down the Kaiju enough with good old fisticuffs.

http://www.the-numbers.com/home-market/bluray-sales/2013

13th of the year doesn't sound so bad to me.  Maybe not a huge break out, but this is just physical media, right?  There is no way to track digital sales is there?

Why do people say this? You probably interact with 100 people on a weekly basis and there are 6+billion people on Earth not the best sample size.

You mean the film that critics and audience gave it a good score. That film?

Even critics preferred the monsters in Godzilla than in PR. And it's safe to that the audiences didn't care too much for PR going by the legs and HV sales ;). You may as well give up now Edited by jessie

Even critics preferred the monsters in Godzilla than in PR. And it's safe to that the audiences didn't care too much for PR going by the legs and HV sales ;). You may as well give up now

So you can link me these critics and what they said?

Also, again, 13th in bluray sales in 2013, can someone explain to me how that's bad?

So you can link me these critics and what they said?

Also, again, 13th in bluray sales in 2013, can someone explain to me how that's bad?

It is not bad.

But doesn't mean the sequel will do big numbers. The first Kick Ass sold incredibly well on HV and we all know how that ended.