#ED

Estimated Wknd Numbers - BD2(141.3M) Skyfall(41.5M) Lincoln(21M)

I have no idea why ya'll americans dont have reserved seating

While moviegoers want it so waiitng on lines for an hour or two won't exist anymore, studios and theaters don't want it because it will limit the gross and tickets sold of big movies...if only just slightly. If people are looking at available seating for huge movies that sell out shows and the only seats left are the first few rows or single seats spread out randomly and you're a couple, there's a good chance no will buy those and many shows will run with the first few rows or some seats empty. With no reserved seating it's a mad rush, every seat sells out, more tickets are sold, etc, etc.

yeah but the website most people check for Box office grosses is probably BOM

It's like saying most people read USA Today for stock prices rather than the Wall Street Journal because USA Today has higher circulation. Edited by ShAAken not Stirred™
  • Like 1

Also, the figure doesn't surprise me at all, despite predicting a combined ~41M. I mentioned last night that we could see one of two things, either capacity for a larger combined gross, or the same gross as before, just burned off earlier. We got the latter (though I do think the Aurora effect is in play, if only slightly).

Edited by spizzer

So are we going to change all the weekend records then? It would be silly to say that Thursdays count in 2015 but not in 2005.

TDKR midnight changed things. Forever.

It's like saying most people read USA Today for stock prices rather than the Wall Street Journal because USA Today has higher circulation.

Come on man...I get that you're involved with this site and you love it, but you should just cede the point that BOM is keeping track of virtually every single record. And people do consult it regularly. The site has gigantic traffic.If you want to look up the top Bond films, then compare them by ticket price inflation, BOM is not the only the best and easiest place, it's the ONLY place to do that.If BOM hadn't shut down its own forum, this one would have like 5 people man.I'm not trying to bash this place, I love that there is a super active place that discusses movies, and the site does things that BOM never did with social media....but what you're saying about BOM is just nonsensical. They're the almanac of the box office industry, full stop. They can and should referee this Summit thing, because what Summit is doing is making Friday a 26 hour day when Friday is only 24 hours. Good on him for calling it out. The fact that others aren't calling it out is their own shortcoming; maybe they're afraid of the studio.
  • Like 1

If I were one of the people in charge of a box office site, I'd simply assign all $30.4 million to Thursday.

Based on what I saw in my area, around 70% of it was from Thursday. One theater had 4 shows at 10 PM, all sold out. It didn't have any midnight shows. The other theater had 4 shows at 10 PM, all sold out. It had another 4 shows at midnight that were also sold out.
  • Like 1

My problem is not as much that Summit is counting the 10PM Thu shows toward the weekend, it's that they seem to playing by different rules than all of the other studios. I mean, search "Skyfall opening weekend" and you'll find 87.8m is the estimate number Sony reported, rather than the 90m it apparently should have.It needs to be an even playing field.

Edited by ShAAken not Stirred™
  • Like 2

Based on what I saw in my area, around 70% of it was from Thursday. One theater had 4 shows at 10 PM, all sold out. It didn't have any midnight shows. The other theater had 4 shows at 10 PM, all sold out. It had another 4 shows at midnight that were also sold out.

Yeah I think it was something like a 21M/9.5M split. Had this only had 12AM shows, it probably would have landed around ~27M.

My problem is not as much that Summit is counting the 10PM Thu shows toward the weekend, it's that they seem to playing by different rules than all of the other studios. I mean, search "Skyfall opening weekend" and you'll find 87.8m is the estimate number Sony reported, rather than the 90m it apparently should have.It needs to be an even playing field.

THIS.I'm disgusted with Summit right now.

It's horseshit. This'll be a lot worse than Puerto Rico since I don't think we're talking about $2m here. More like $15m or higher.

It is but I expect every studio going forward with their tentpoles to do the same so it will be even playing field going forward.

Come on man...I get that you're involved with this site and you love it, but you should just cede the point that BOM is keeping track of virtually every single record. And people do consult it regularly. The site has gigantic traffic.If you want to look up the top Bond films, then compare them by ticket price inflation, BOM is not the only the best and easiest place, it's the ONLY place to do that.If BOM hadn't shut down its own forum, this one would have like 5 people man.I'm not trying to bash this place, I love that there is a super active place that discusses movies, and the site does things that BOM never did with social media....but what you're saying about BOM is just nonsensical. They're the almanac of the box office industry, full stop. They can and should referee this Summit thing, because what Summit is doing is making Friday a 26 hour day when Friday is only 24 hours. Good on him for calling it out. The fact that others aren't calling it out is their own shortcoming; maybe they're afraid of the studio.

I stand by my assertion that you're overestimating how much of an impact BOM has. It's that almanac of box office fans, not the industry. Until you show me proof other than hits on the site, I see no reason to believe otherwise.And I'm not shilling for this site. Everyone knows I'm a mod because Shawn is a personal friend of mine and he felt I would do a good job. Not because BO.com had any influence on the decision. I still go to BOM for most numbers(mainly historic ones). Edited by ShAAken not Stirred™

It is but I expect every studio going forward with their tentpoles to do the same so it will be even playing field going forward.

Not necessarily going to happen. I guarantee you if some movie comes along that breaks the Avengers' record by having a 10 PM boost on Thursday night, Disney will be howling about it. Rightfully so IMHO.

Well Bond was the only movie that didn't count their preview numbers with Friday numbers. I'm guessing because they had shows earlier than 10:00. But everybody else has counted them with midnights since these 10pm shows started. Where was the outrage then?