#ED

Estimated Wknd Numbers - BD2(141.3M) Skyfall(41.5M) Lincoln(21M)

I think Affleck has a good shot. His first two movies were well-liked but he didn't get any credit from the academy, he is being touted as the next Clint Eastwood and he has a huge fan following. Besides, Argo is a very Hollywood insider type of movie with a lot of references that Academy members will get. He has things going for him that other directors don't.

I'd be happy with Affleck winning, Argo was great.Back to Friday #s, hope there's an Rth (or another) update within the next hour or so. Hoping to see an update before I go to sleep.

I wanted him to win for TKS, and I want him to win again, only because I see him as the only acceptable alternative if Haneke's not gonna win.

You wanted him to beat Fincher? I was more impressed by the guy who got incredible acting from young, lesser known actors than the guy who got incredible acting from veteran, world class actors.
  • Like 1

Will not surprise me if it makes over 70. Nikki's first number was 130 based on matinees, her second number (based on east coast evening shows ??) was 135. Based on spizzer's numbers the movie seems to have taken off after 7 PM on the east coast.

It's the West Coast that's doing the heavy lifting for BD2.

What the hell is Oscar talk doing in a Friday Numbers thread?! :rant:(I really hope ARGO/Affleck don't win. Enjoyed it a lot, don't think it's worthy of being an Oscar winner.)

Agreed. Argo is solid but not spectacular.
  • Like 1

It's the West Coast that's doing the heavy lifting for BD2.

Its both. When the West Coast overperforms, it usually shows up in the early morning updates, not the late night ones. Twilight films tend to perform weak on the East Coast and then the WC makes up for it. For this one, it seems the East Coast has turned out stronger than usual, that's why we got a late update upping the figure. In the morning, when the full West Coast performance is known, we should get another more accurate update.

You wanted him to beat Fincher? I was more impressed by the guy who got incredible acting from young, lesser known actors than the guy who got incredible acting from veteran, world class actors.

I didn't like The Social Network, and I don't particularly like Fincher because I think that his movies are too calculatingly made. Now, I respect that. The amount of attention to detail and level of sophistication put into the framing of every single frame of every single scene is Social Network or Tattoo or Se7en is brilliant in its own way. It's something that Hooper wouldn't understand and something that most film makers can only dream of doing and few actual achieve. However, in Fincher's case it just makes the movie feel quite lifeless IMO. For me, Fincher's movies feel like giant robots. Now, TKS was emotional, it was good, it was genuine which is why I thought that it was a better movie than TSN.
  • Like 1

Fincher definitely should have won...TSN was superbly crafted and directed, took a boring subject on paper and turned it into a tense, amazing movie. TKS, while a great movie in its own right, had nothing standout directorial wise and was pretty paint (direct) by the numbers where any number of fill in the blank directors could have done it just as well.

I didn't like The Social Network, and I don't particularly like Fincher because I think that his movies are too calculatingly made. Now, I respect that. The amount of attention to detail and level of sophistication put into the framing of every single frame of every single scene is Social Network or Tattoo or Se7en is brilliant in its own way. It's something that Hooper wouldn't understand and something that most film makers can only dream of doing and few actual achieve. However, in Fincher's case it just makes the movie feel quite lifeless IMO. For me, Fincher's movies feel like giant robots. Now, TKS was emotional, it was good, it was genuine which is why I thought that it was a better movie than TSN.

I liked both movies very much and wouldn't describe either as lifeless. Garfield gave a very emotional performance in TSN. The dialogue is incredible and about as far from lifeless as you can get, especially on a boring subject like Facebook. Fincher also got very energetic performances from Eisenberg and Timberlake. TKS has an awesome script too and excellent performances, although that has a lot less to do with Hooper than the brilliant veteran actors he was dealing with. I was glad TKS won Best Picture and Screenplay (the writer's own life story is inspirational), but Hooper didn't deserve Director. His camera choices alone should have disqualified him. I found myself distracted from scenes that would have been more compelling if he didn't choose bizarre camera angles that jump out too much at the viewer.

Not to get into another whole TKS/TSN deal again.... but for me TKS hit a batting practice pitch for a homer, and TSN hit a 94-mph slider for a triple (which for me is much more impressive). TKS took an appealing story and shaved the slightly-darker (and more dramatic) aspects off it, though it was very well made and entertaining. TSN took a more ambiguous story and then made the characters even more challenging; not to mention it was essentially a movie about writing code, stock options, and legal depositions. And yet, it too was tremendously entertaining.

I liked both movies very much and wouldn't describe either as lifeless. Garfield gave a very emotional performance in TSN. The dialogue is incredible and about as far from lifeless as you can get, especially on a boring subject like Facebook. Fincher also got very energetic performances from Eisenberg and Timberlake. TKS has an awesome script too and excellent performances, although that has a lot less to do with Hooper than the brilliant veteran actors he was dealing with. I was glad TKS won Best Picture and Screenplay (the writer's own life story is inspirational), but Hooper didn't deserve Director. His camera choices alone should have disqualified him. I found myself distracted from scenes that would have been more compelling if he didn't choose bizarre camera angles that jump out too much at the viewer.

His work is quite television-esque which isn't surprising considering where he's from. Plus, I think that since he directed John Adams and that won like a billion awards everywhere and was super successful that he thinks that he should stick with the style and I don't blame him. His camera choices and entire style is quite workmanlike, and definitely the Essex man-esque but I don't think that necessarily is a bad thing.

Fully expected $150M 3-day.To hit $125-$135M is... only disappointing considering how big the earlier films did and the finale factor this had. Color me shocked.

Fully expected $150M 3-day.To hit $125-$135M is... only disappointing considering how big the earlier films did and the finale factor this had. Color me shocked.

135 is below expectations but it doesn't sound as bad when compared to BD1. I think that is only thing keeping me from melting down.