#ED

Estimated Wknd Numbers - BD2(141.3M) Skyfall(41.5M) Lincoln(21M)

Some weekend projections-12.35m 18.52m (50%)12.23m (-34%)43.1m weekend (-51.2%)

Agreed with the Saturday bump. But shouldn't the Sunday drop be a bit bigger? QoS dropped 45% on its 2nd Sunday.But then CR dropped 30% on its first Sunday...... so idk.....

Thank you to RTH by the way for providing reliable numbers.

Thanks, doing anything remotely never a good thing especially on big flms good the revision 68-70m from 63-65 rang true high end, but afterwards i still some doubts if it was going to get that high :) , Skyfall figured 12-13 would be given Edited by Rth

So really only movies like The Avengers, The Dark Knight Rises, and Ice Age 4 made a profit for studios?

Well, those might be the films on the shorter list of films that made a profit from their theatrical runs alone...but most films make their profit in the downstream markets (home video, television sales, etc). Granted, lots of movies don't make a profit...I'd even argue more movies lose money than make it. But it's not that short a list.Granted, movies like you are noting is where these studios make most of their profit though. Avengers probably made Disney more money than all their other movies last year combined. Edited by kowhite

This is a pretty big year for my man Michael Stuhlbarg: he has been in Seven Psychopaths, Men in Black 3, Lincoln and Boardwalk Empire, and he has Hitchcock yet to come out.

I'm glad he's doing well, I adored his performance in A Serious Man

• Like 1

He said profitable, which means revenues to the studio. Budget is $120M, P&A is probably at least $50M, probably more like $75M for the domestic market. Studio gets at best 60% of the domestic theatrical box office. You can do the math.But that's an irrelevant metric. Movie is gonna make loads of cash for Summit.

Here's the funniest thing about Twilight being incredibly frontloaded....Summit gets about 90% of the films gross in the first two weeks. So that means, when it is raking in the coin, almost all of goes to Summit, where as the last few weeks when it evens out, then the theaters get the scraps. So in this case, front loaded films like Potter and Twilight are good for the studios,.

Somehow it is fitting that the best Twilight movie, Eclipse, will be the one that ends up with the highest DOM number of the series.BD2 is still doing good though.

But you guys realize that the US is just ONE MARKET, right? So if it makes 280 mill here and makes another 500 mill elsewhere for 780 mill, that means it increased from BD1. Pretty good if you ask me.