75Live

Is your opinion of a movie influenced by forums?

Regardless, I think any normal person is affected at least slightly by others' opinions, whether on an internet forum or in "real" life. Anyone who says they aren't are either...A. LyingB. In DenialC. A SociopathDespite what you may have heard, it isn't a good thing to not care what others think. At best, it makes one anti-social, at worst a sociopath. And if one cares what others think, then they can't help but be affected.

Thats odd.

Are you kidding me? I was messing around, as I said to Shpongle in the reply.My post being deleted is an example of a mod power trip. at the absolute least. Embarrassing.

Your post wasn't deleted, Shpongle's was for calling members "morons". I even quoted your deleted post. So, sorry, I don't feel the least bit embarrassed.

Why?

Real life matters are obviously different, but being a sociopath and a liar on an internet forum just for having a difference of opinion than some others on some films is just flat out ridiculous.And Jesus Christ, my post was deleted a second time for using the word "moron" in broad terms not directed at anyone specifically? Adios G-rated Mod/thread. Edited by Shpongle

There's really no fun in watching and discussing movies if you're not willing to open yourselves to other opinions. Changing your mind about a film isn't being a sheep... in fact, it can be somewhat dogmatic not to hear the other side of the story. In fact, I love reading about why people loved/hated films I've hated/loved. If it happens to be on a box office forum, so be it.

• Like 6

Real life matters are obviously different, but being a sociopath and a liar on an internet forum just for having a difference of opinion than some others on some films is just flat out ridiculous.

And Jesus Christ, my post was deleted a second time for using the word "moron" in broad terms not directed at anyone specifically? Adios G-rated Mod/thread.

Of course, you concentrate only on the other options and not that you're possibly in denial, right? And you said that anyone who was influenced by others on the forums were "morons", thereby implying that anyone who said yes to the thread title must be a "moron". Just because you call a group of members morons, it doesn't make it any better than if you called a specific member one. In fact, IMO, it's worse.

Depends.I find when I dislike a movie and the forum gushes about it, I tend to dislike it even more.It's basically something ordinary being masqueraded as something fantastic and of course the obnoxious air in which they are perpetuated by posters.Something like Prometheus.

Funny, I thought this site hated Prometheus more than average. This site certainly has no effect on whether I like a movie, though I do find the usual suspects tend to gush about many movies far more than warranted, particularly awards friendly ones.The internet as whole, however, may have an impact on my first impression of a film. Edited by Hatebox

Changing opinions and point of views is not only normal, but a sign of growth. But wishing failure upon projects without a legitimate reason--such as animal abuse or exploitation etc..--is usually immature.

Sometimes. But seeing a movie you liked at the theater on its own merits a lot and then changing your mind after reading some detractor's opinions on the internet is also pretty regressive in a way if you ask me. If you liked a movie a lot on your initial viewing without reading anything about it, whats the problem? No movie is ever gonna please everyone, which makes this whole line of logic about letting others influence your opinion redundant. That doesn't mean though you can't have a good conversation with others who disagree with you though and vice-versa. Edited by Shpongle

But seeing a movie you liked at the theater on its own merits a lot and then changing your mind after reading some detractor's opinions on the internet is also pretty regressive in a way if you ask me.

Well if someone makes a valid point that you overlooked and it influences your opinion, I think that is more than fair. I guess by definition it is "regressive," but not in the way the word connotes.

I would like to say that it hasn't happened at all. However, there are a few instances where it has happened. The only time it really severly happened was with TASM.TASM is the most glaring example. I was indifferent to whether the movie did well or not. I did want it to do poorly so that Marvel could get the rights to Spider-Man back. However, I never realistically thought that it was possible, so I never actively rooted against the movie (sorta like how I act towards Fox and the X-Men franchise). That was until ijack started accusing me of being an idiot for wanting Marvel to get the rights back.At first, I was shocked that someone would have the nerve to say that to me. So I calmly explained my reasoning. Then, iJack told me I was an idiot again. He went on and on about how I was trying to recruit people to hate the movie. That was the end of it. I actively rooted against TASM after that. I read through 90% of iJack's walls of text, and the more I read, the more I turned against the movie. Every reason that he claimed I should like the movie, was actually a logical reason to dislike the movie. So if he didn't make me root against the movie with his behavior, he certainly had done so with his reasons. The best 2 were: Every generation needs a Spider-Man movie (so a generation is 10 years to him) and Marc Webb is a director who has PASSION for the project (like Sam Raimi had no passion). Thus, it was clear that this movie was rebooted too soon and that Marc Webb didn't have the experience to be the director.I still root against TASM. I will root against the sequels. I want Marvel to get the rights back and now I am vociferous about it. When I finally do see TASM, I am sure it will be a turd, but even if it isn't, I will never be able to like the movie. It's the one movie where someone's active campaigning and rudeness made me change my mind from neutral feelings to extreme negativity towards a movie.

• Like 2

I'll listen to various opinions on a film, but ultimately I have to decide whether or not I like it. But to be honest while I'll root for a movie that really appeals to me, I won't root against a movie that may not hold an interest to me. For example I never really had an interest in the Twilight series. But I won't certainly begrudge those who think it's the greatest thing ever nor those who think it's the worst thing ever.

I would like to say that it hasn't happened at all. However, there are a few instances where it has happened. The only time it really severly happened was with TASM.TASM is the most glaring example. I was indifferent to whether the movie did well or not. I did want it to do poorly so that Marvel could get the rights to Spider-Man back. However, I never realistically thought that it was possible, so I never actively rooted against the movie (sorta like how I act towards Fox and the X-Men franchise). That was until ijack started accusing me of being an idiot for wanting Marvel to get the rights back.At first, I was shocked that someone would have the nerve to say that to me. So I calmly explained my reasoning. Then, iJack told me I was an idiot again. He went on and on about how I was trying to recruit people to hate the movie. That was the end of it. I actively rooted against TASM after that.I read through 90% of iJack's walls of text, and the more I read, the more I turned against the movie. Every reason that he claimed I should like the movie, was actually a logical reason to dislike the movie. So if he didn't make me root against the movie with his behavior, he certainly had done so with his reasons. The best 2 were: Every generation needs a Spider-Man movie (so a generation is 10 years to him) and Marc Webb is a director who has PASSION for the project (like Sam Raimi had no passion). Thus, it was clear that this movie was rebooted too soon and that Marc Webb didn't have the experience to be the director.I still root against TASM. I will root against the sequels. I want Marvel to get the rights back and now I am vociferous about it. When I finally do see TASM, I am sure it will be a turd, but even if it isn't, I will never be able to like the movie. It's the one movie where someone's active campaigning and rudeness made me change my mind from neutral feelings to extreme negativity towards a movie.

I really like your honesty here. I understand the hate for TASM, I do. I just wish more of the "haters" were more like you and admitted that it was iJack's crap that helped turned their opinion on the film. Cuz, I know you're not the only one he affected in this way.Kal made a lot of people hate Superman Returns before it was released.Now, that's not saying that's the only reason people hate TASM. There were a couple of people on here whose utter love for The Avengers could have turned a few minds, but the film was so entertaining and good it overcame that. TASM(and SR before it) apparently wasn't able to do this. So that does show TASM could have been better(or at least more original).
  • Like 1

I just don't equate emotional with "joyless". He loses his "father" during the course of the film. He lost his parents as a child. He ends up losing the father of his girl. He even loses a family friend to essentially madness. If anything, SM1 was too happy with presenting Peter's tragic life. The best Spider-Man stories had him pondering his life in melancholic fashion. I remember many Spidey stories ending with him wandering some rooftop with his head down. And yet this film still takes time for some rather humorous moments and to end the film on a high note.

Edited by ShAAken not Stirred™

Nope.I don't base my opinion on what other people think. Otherwise, I would have loved The Dark Knight Rises, Argo, Skyfall but feel indifference or hatred to The Amazing Spider-Man and other films.I go by what entertained me and what didn't. What people say about the film has no bearing on me unless if I'm on the fence about something then I will use reviews/buzz and the like to see if I will change my mind about seeing the movie.

Kal made a lot of people hate Superman Returns before it was released.

Good grief. I still remember actively rooting against the movie's box office success even though I heartily enjoyed it, all because of what an ass he was being to anyone who dared to suggest that a silly pirate movie would make more money at the box office.And to answer the question of this thread: Duh. None of us lives in a vacuum, so of course the opinions we're surrounded with are going to have some sort of influence on our own, even if we're not entirely conscious of it.