Gopher

Weekend Estimates starting pg 10

Seeing Flight at night? I speak from a position of firsthand knowledge when I say that's a pretty depressing experience. I thought the movie was very good, but a 140-minute drama about alcoholism doesn't exactly make for the best thing to take in before heading to bed.Moving back onto topic, it's a predictably slow post-Thanksgiving weekend at the box office. Twilight, Skyfall, and Lincoln are set up to be the top three movies for the third weekend in a row, and I wouldn't be all that surprised if it stays that way next weekend, albeit with the order changed.I'm surprised by just how low the CinemaScore for Killing Them Softly went. This thing was never going to connect with mainstream audiences, but an F? Even Drive got a C-.

Seeing Flight at night? I speak from a position of firsthand knowledge when I say that's a pretty depressing experience. I thought the movie was very good, but a 140-minute drama about alcoholism doesn't exactly make for the best thing to take in before heading to bed.

I'm sure everybody is different.

Saw Flight today. Thought it was very good. I think the people who gave it mediocre reviews in the RTM forum were simply annoyed that the film was more of a character study than the trailer/commercials indicated.

i saw flight 2 weeks ago i think in the afternoon, theatre is like a minute away from airport so that was fun knowing planes were taking off over your head every 10mn or so....i read michael crichton "airframe" about an airplane accident while onboard AA en route to orlando a few yrs back...

The F for Killing Them Softly doesn't surprise me at all. The marketing was a total bait-and-switch. People were expecting an action thriller, and got something else entirely. Someone on Twitter compared it to how they marketed The American two years back.

• Like 1

At least FilmDistrict and Focus Features did a good job with those marketing campaigns. Those putted buts in the seats. Seats for Killing Them Softly have been empty so far.

Lies. The Last Samurai opened on this weekend with over 40M. Hollywood takes this bad weekends shit out of their asses. There is no bad weekend when your movie is appealing and audiences want to see it.

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 3