Gopher

Weekend Estimates starting pg 10

Saw SLP for the second time and I'm surprised it isn't getting great WOM. The ending that I HATED HATED HATED should be tailor made for good box office.

It is getting great WOM, it's just not expanding to reach those audiences. Way to go, Weinstein. They better expand next week before all hell breaks loose.

Silver Linings totally apeals to mainstream, I don't know anyone who doesn't love it, it's just a difficult one to market.

Agreed, I think the Weinsteins are kind of smart with it by switching to a platform release. They are obviously banking on the awards/nominations coming up and the buzz from that to help market the movie. I say kind of smart because if the movie doesn't do that well with the awards it won't do as well as it would have if they had just let it open to a regular wide release.

both BD2 and Skyfall won't reach 300m. Might as well accept the fact now

It was always difficult, much more so than the forum would have you believe, but this weekend isn't real important. Unless they hold much better or fall harder, which neither of which happened.

Agreed, I think the Weinsteins are kind of smart with it by switching to a platform release. They are obviously banking on the awards/nominations coming up and the buzz from that to help market the movie. I say kind of smart because if the movie doesn't do that well with the awards it won't do as well as it would have if they had just let it open to a regular wide release.

That's true, but they already have the audience award from sundance (?) that they could use to expand to like 1,000. Then use other stuff in the coming weeks for a 2,000+ expansion.