CoolioD1

SAG Thread (nominees in 1st post)

ZDT will be fine. It's clearly not an acting driven film aside one powerhouse performance. Shame about no Emma (or Perks ensemble!), I think her momentum came too late.

There should never be momentum. Either you deserve it or you don't. A film that comes out in January should be just as eligible as a film that comes out in December.

It's actually not true for ZDT, I know SAG members all of whom got it last week. Sasha's trying to make excuses again.

They nominated Chastain so the movie was obviously seen or is she saying she`s got the nom based on hype only? :P

It does. No film bar Braveheart (due to anomalies) has ever won without this nom.

The thing with ZDT is that critics nominated it in Ensamble and it won some Ensambles as well so SAG definitely thought other esnsambles were stronger. It doesn`t mean a huge drawback but considering that Crone is already making excuses it seems like it`s the first bump in the road. DGA and PGA wins will be more telling.

Bbest of all King Bryan Cranston got 3 nominations - Actor for Breaking Bad, part of the Breaking Bad ensemble and part of the Argo ensemble... Maggie Smith got 4 nominations for Downton/Best Exotic. :o That movie might get a Picture nomination. I should've known the oldies at sag/academy were gonna go crazy for it.Pretty disappointed about Phoenix as well. Apparently some find his performance "indulgent" Bullshit. Bardem getting in is kick ass.

• Like 1

Not trying to turn this into controversy again, but I really don't think ZDT has a shot at picture or director (wins) as the subject is too divisive and like other political films like JFK, there are too many people who will not like it due to the content, as there are that do.

We'll see but I think it's the frontrunner along with Lincoln. Nobody who's seen it thus far has publicly disliked it and I think the January wide release is a brilliant move against peaking too early, like Argo, Social Network and Up in the Air all did.

This is the Oscars. Since when is it about what "deserves" the award?

I've never thought the oscars were fair of course. Just pointing out that films should NEVER peak too early. Doesn't mean they don't though. The oscars are about as corrupt as Washington.

It's all politics, but that's not going to change. I'm happy when great films get some attention. And this year, we have really memorable movies competing against each other. The complete opposite of an Artist sweep.If I had to guess what's most likely to win/get nominated right now 1. Lincoln 2. Zero Dark Thirty (No BP winner besides Braveheart has won without an SAG ensemble nomination. If screeners really did get out last week then it may not be getting enough love from the biggest branch in the Academy)3. Argo4. Les Miserables 5. Silver Linings Playbook 6. Amour 7. Life of Pi 8. Beasts of the Southern Wild 9. Django Unchained 10. Moonrise Kingdom

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 1

Bbest of all King Bryan Cranston got 3 nominations - Actor for Breaking Bad, part of the Breaking Bad ensemble and part of the Argo ensemble... Maggie Smith got 4 nominations for Downton/Best Exotic. :o That movie might get a Picture nomination. I should've known the oldies at sag/academy were gonna go crazy for it.Pretty disappointed about Phoenix as well. Apparently some find his performance "indulgent" Bullshit.Bardem getting in is kick ass.

Eh, I think if anyone from Skyfall deserves a nom it's Dench. Bardem was cool and all, but baddies these days are really just chasing after the Joker. And nobody has compared yet.
  • Like 1

Eh, I think if anyone from Skyfall deserves a nom it's Dench. Bardem was cool and all, but baddies these days are really just chasing after the Joker. And nobody has compared yet.

Nah, Bardem was top notch. His performance was a bit Joker but mixed with that classic Bond villain campiness to make it awesome.
  • Like 1

They nominated Chastain so the movie was obviously seen or is she saying she`s got the nom based on hype only? :PThe thing with ZDT is that critics nominated it in Ensamble and it won some Ensambles as well so SAG definitely thought other esnsambles were stronger. It doesn`t mean a huge drawback but considering that Crone is already making excuses it seems like it`s the first bump in the road. DGA and PGA wins will be more telling.

Sasha's just bullshitting again. ZDT screeners came out last week, and for a film that's been so hyped for the past 2 weeks or so, that's more than enough time for all of the SAG members to see the movie. And, Sasha's down playing it. It's not just a bump in the road, it's like a 5 million ton concrete block. Statistically it's already impossible for ZDT to win. Without the actor's support it'll be ridiculously hard for a movie to win. I'm hoping that they actually treated ensemble as an ensemble instead of BP category this year so it can still have a chance at winning.

I'm bummed about no Emma. She definitely could have snuck in there if Summit campaigned better and got the movie seen.

If Perks had a proper marketing campaign and a wide release it would have made 40-50m by now and could be in the awards conversation. A shame.
  • Like 2

My thoughts1. Love the recognition for Paperboy and Nicole Kidman.2. I made this point in another thread that studio dumped Perks so it isn't a surprise that it is going to get bypassed. It isn't an Oscar type of movie anyway so don't expect much from academy either.3. I have been saying for months that Lincoln is the actual frontrunner. It isn't controversial or flashy like some other contenders but it is a workhorse movie by one of the most well-respected directors in Hollywood with one of the most well-respected casts you will ever see and a subject matter that AMPAS members will like. Nothing has changed in the past couple of months.4. Backlash against ZDT has already started. My biggest issue with ZDT has always been that it relies on a very small subset of information base to construct its story and a lot of journalists have already started questioning how accurate the movie is. For a movie that is being marketed as a historically accurate investigative journalism, this can seriously hurt.

Edited by TLK
  • Like 1