iceroll

Weekend #s Hobbit 84.7 ROG 7.4 Linc 7.2 Sky 7.0 Pi 5.4 BD2 5.2 pg 90

I have not had it in for this franchise since the beginning, Shawn. I loved FOTR, top 10 films of all time for me.....right behind Raiders of the Lost Ark. The sequels disappointed me.What bothers me is that (not saying you, although when you opened the 125 mill OW thread, you are on record as saying that you think it could do 150 mill OW) there are a lot of posters here who said that it would FLY PAST 400 mill and that it would destory a billion. Now there is a 13 mill midnight and this number is considered fine. And people are giving all the reasons why this didn't do huge business at midnight. It's not summer, exams, not a rabid fanbase (ROTK did 8 mill at midnights before midnights were popular....that's aboiut as rabid as it gets), holidays, shopping, X-factor was on, football was on, the NHL lockout was being followed by ESPN 8 the OCHO and so on. I'm saying that this should have been bigger because this is one of the most iconic franchises of all time and it should make people want to come out and see it. If people want to go, they will find a way, regardless of the time of year.13 mill is a fine start, but it is not a great one, and it does make 100 mill OW in jeopardy.

Not answering for Shawn here, but I think many who thought it would roar past $400m were assuming excellent, LOTR-ish legs, not necessarily a ginormous opening. (Though many thought it would open pretty big.)

Actually, they assumed huge opening + LOTRish legs. remember the most anticipated since TPM, fandom grew since Shriekapoo, 3D,etc. Edited by fishnets

Oh B, normally you're one of my favorite posters, but when it comes to this movie you may as well be Noctis. :unsure:

I know. I haven't been high on this since the first trailer. It just doesn't look right to me.
  • Like 1

That made almost the same as Hunger Games at midnight.

Are you forgetting what series this is? This is Lord of the Rings. It's not a sequel to Oogieloves.