iceroll

Weekend #s Hobbit 84.7 ROG 7.4 Linc 7.2 Sky 7.0 Pi 5.4 BD2 5.2 pg 90

• Founder / Operator

It's human nature to get defensive to something you have an emotional connection to. This is one of those times, IMO.

I'm not going to necessarily disagree with that, but come on buddy... let's be honest both ways: you've had it out for this franchise since the day I met you. :lol:I have nothing to be defensive about because I don't take box office results personally. There's no point because it takes away from what it means to be a true movie fan. And honestly, you can say that about almost every series because I'm not one of these "campers" that picks a franchise and carries the banner for it.Its doing exactly what I expected so far. And anytime I'm wrong, I'll admit it. I'll do the same if this doesn't hit at least $105 million this weekend (not an arbitrary #, it was a Twitter bet I made) and especially if it comes closer to the $350m numbers that it seems most were predicting than my $450m club.I think I'm remaining impartial here with what I'm talking about in previous posts. All scenarios are on the table. You're walking to the copier to get the death certificate for the film. Not signing it...but you're ready to have it in hand with pen at the ready. I'm saying let's put the pin and paper down and go grab some M&Ms and catch a game on TV, because its going to be a little while before we know the outcome. ;)(Love ya still, though.) :) Edited by ShawnMR
  • Like 1

In the UK it opened on Thursday and is on track for over $20m, so it's opening very well here at least.

It will open just fine overseas. Just a few days back it was announced that EVERY SINGLE TICKET (In Romania - the whole country) for The Hobbit was already booked... they needed to add some extra showings which, again, are all nearly sold out. So it's going to do great business overseas... Edited by ChD

This number seems fine but it could have done a little more IMO. I was thinking somewhere around $15m would have been excellent, though I never thought Avengers numbers was possible. I thought this franchise has more walk-in business we were just not able to get that since all movies were released outside of regular weekends.

Lots of revisionist history here imo. First you guys come out and say this has a massive fanbase and now that the midnight comes in at a mediocre 13 mill, it has a moderate, non rushing fanbase.Sorry, I'm staying out of this now as there are too many people talking out of both sides of their mouths.

LOTR was never a Twilight or Potter type franchise, and always had good legs. I don't know who was expecting a huge midnight, but it wasn't me.

I hope WB immediately removes TH banner from yahoo. It looks relaly tacky above the shooting news.I mena, it isn`t WB fault because they couldn`t know but now it relaly doesn`t look good with all the scenes replayed over and over while Yahoo`s showing a vid with devastated parents.

I know that this won't happen, but I'd advise everyone to at least WAIT TILL TOMORROW AFTERNOON before commencing with conclusive reactions (both supporters and detractors alike). Every major opener we've had this year, everyone's been all over the place as soon as the earliest estimates have come out on Friday (oftentimes late afternoon EST, before any evening shows have even begun).

I just want to add that I don`t think shooting will affect TH like it did TDKR or at all. TDKR one happened at the cinema during the movie midnight showing. It was TDKR-related in every aspect. This new shooting is just one unfortunate event that is completely movie unrelated.

Edited by fishnets

Good midnight numbers when you consider that there were very, very few 10 PM shows. Midnights have been dead since Aurora and I don't think Twilight would've come close to $25 million without 10 PM shows. I think 120 million is happening as this is a movie that will play well with kids and should have strong Saturday/Sunday.

I just want to add that I don`t think shooting will affect TH like it did TDKR or at all. TDKR one happened at the cinema during the movie midnight showing. It was TDKR-related in every aspect. This new shooting is just one unfortunate event that is completely movie unrelated.

It will... not much, but it will.If you think about it, The Hobbit is a family movie, with Peter Jackson doing it way different compared to LOTR. This is more a children/family movie now, and I hardly think that kids will be like "Oh yeah, a man committed a horrible shooting, but, nah, fuck it, I wanna watch the Hobbit"

The number of posts in this thread is disappointing, I need it to get to 50 pages by the end of the day. We need some kind of Ijack versus Jacko, fanboy versus hater style flame war to drive up the post count.

I agree.More importantly, I don't want another episode of 'If not for the shooting, it would have opened with xxx amount'.

The number of posts in this thread is disappointing, I need it to get to 50 pages by the end of the day. We need some kind of Ijack versus Jacko, fanboy versus hater style flame war to drive up the post count.

No chance... I'm actually glad I said it wouldn't reach 50 pages lol.Yet... I'm helping you guys.

As I said last night:

Rallax will be the first to admit that his numbers are not a 100% accurate indicator for national numbers, but still, 24% of DH2...yipes. POA and GOF were around 5-6m midnights at about the same time frame as TTT and ROTK were pulling in 4-8m. So, at that time, LOTR was competitive with the HP series.

So 24% was a bit off, it ended up being around 30%. But, you can't go back in time and extrapolate this film's midnights by using ROTK as a comparison. That was nine years ago. So, using ROTK as a comparison( :P), TH would end up at 109m. Since midnight share of fan-frenzied OW has slowly grown over the last decade, that would have to be considered the absolute ceiling, IMO.

The bigger the post count, the more people are on the forum and not in theaters contributing to the boxoffice. :P