iceroll

Weekend #s Hobbit 84.7 ROG 7.4 Linc 7.2 Sky 7.0 Pi 5.4 BD2 5.2 pg 90

I don't know, but I'm pretty sure that these midnights number suggest a good opening day (around 40-50M) ... So, if the drops weren't so big, that meant that it would finish somewhere around 120M (after your calculations). Either it's having a lousy friday and saturday and sunday are nearly flat (or +- 10%), or it's having a big friday and small saturday and sunday.

Agree on the range of the Friday gross. I expect the saturday figure to go up against friday's without midnights. More or less 50M / 39-41M / 27-30MSo around 120M with 50M OD

I think The Hobbit will make an increase (without midnights) going into Saturday. A bigger one than Avengers, likely. I'm thinking 48/44/29. That would be $121 million for opening weekend.

That would be a 25% bump on saturday. That's never going to happen, this is after all kind of a sequel.
  • Like 1

This includes 10pms as well. Toronto had 0 midnight showings.

Why did this happen. I know that some films will start early at 10 pm, but I have always seen midnights with them.Any other cities do 10 pm shows? And if so did they in life midnights?Because I am really wishing I got more then 1.5 hours sleep right now.

13m is great but it's only 600k more than what was reported earlier... Why are people acting like it's so much better? :huh: The over-reactions and bipolarism on this forum

12.4M was a great number. 13M is even better. Nobody should have been dissappointed with either of those numbers..... Edited by Mr Potter
  • Like 4

• Founder / Operator

12.4M was a great number. 13M is even better. Nobody should have been dissappointed with either of those numbers.....

Yup. Haven't seen any of the conversations here, but if $12.4-13m was disappointing to anyone its only because expectations were too heavily inflated. Same thing happened with Avengers, but perspective is important: this ain't summer. Nor is it Potter or Twilight. The audience has always leaned more heavily toward general crowds than rabid fans. Edited by ShawnMR
  • Like 1

• Founder / Operator

Tron: Legacy made $3.5m at midnight...but not exactly a great comparison, just the only recent one for December.If it follows the trajectory of Hunger Games, translates to roughly $42-44m Friday. That's the most recent non-summer/non-Twilight huge fan-driven midnight so the ratio could be similar.Twilight ratio would put it closer to $30-32 million...seems way too low though based on the strong GA tracking we've seen. Just a question of if they show up today or next week at this point.

Edited by ShawnMR

Nor is it Potter or Twilight.

Well, we actually don't know that. As far as I know, ROTK broke the midnight record back in 2003 on a wednesday night in december.LotR actually is the mother of big midnight numbers for book adaptions, so it's still early, "the Hobbit" could go from low 40s to mid 50s from here. Edited by Poseidon
  • Like 2

Yup. Haven't seen any of the conversations here, but if $12.4-13m was disappointing to anyone its only because expectations were too heavily inflated. Same thing happened with Avengers, but perspective is important: this ain't summer. Nor is it Potter or Twilight. The audience has always leaned more heavily toward general crowds than rabid fans.

Massive hysteria started with notfabio's report of slightly above Avatar and below TASM.