iceroll

Weekend #s Hobbit 84.7 ROG 7.4 Linc 7.2 Sky 7.0 Pi 5.4 BD2 5.2 pg 90

• Founder / Operator

And Potter doesn't broaden beyond its rabid fans? Sure, they make up a huge chunk, but it's *always* had a lot of mainstream appeal - definitely moreso than Twilight ever did.

Not saying it doesn't. ALL of these movies have mainstream appeal, that's why they're blockbusters. Just going off the midnight-to-opening day shares alone. Rabid fans are the first to show up for any movie so its a good constant to make comparisons with. Potter does have some of the highest (the highest single one, actually) midnight/OD shares though...A piece I wrote last month kind of goes into more detail:http://www.boxoffice...ft-for-tue-1113 Edited by ShawnMR

We don't have much data for December midnights. I saw some tweets last night from people who were bitching about the cold while they waited in line. And college kids are in the middle of finals. There's just not that much specifically in terms of comparisons.

Yep. Everyone who I have talked to that wants to see this is waiting for:to see it over ChristmasWhen it starts to get less crowded.When there kids get out of schoolect.Or they are seeing it today.

• Founder / Operator

I'm just going to shut up at this point and let the numbers do whatever they do. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. I just think calling this a disappointing start is equally as hasty as saying it means Hobbit is locked for $145 million (based on Avengers midnight share). Two opposite sides of the spectrum.

Edited by ShawnMR
  • Like 1

Lots of revisionist history here imo. First you guys come out and say this has a massive fanbase and now that the midnight comes in at a mediocre 13 mill, it has a moderate, non rushing fanbase. Sorry, I'm staying out of this now as there are too many people talking out of both sides of their mouths.

It's sad that people have to defend this film. People are so quick to label anything that isn't record breaking as disappointing RotK broke the midnight record in 2003 so this should have done like 20M+ last night? Really?? Some people's logic....

Edited by Mr Potter

I'm seriously distracted by the school shooting to even think about The Hobbit. I still hope it does over 100M this weekend though.

It's a terrible tragedy (and really hits me hard because I have a young toddler) but honestly, when I check the news every day there's always another atrocity happening -- if not here in the States then elsewhere in the world. I have a hard time thinking this one will affect the box office.

• Founder / Operator

Lots of revisionist history here imo. First you guys come out and say this has a massive fanbase and now that the midnight comes in at a mediocre 13 mill, it has a moderate, non rushing fanbase.

Sorry, I'm staying out of this now as there are too many people talking out of both sides of their mouths.

I think you're misunderstanding, at least in regard to me if that's what you're implying. Not all fan bases behave the same way at the same time, otherwise why didn't Avengers beat Potter's midnight record since it beat the OW record in the long run? Why didn't Twilight ever beat the OW record after setting so many midnight records?

Audiences vary. Fan bases can be rabid and limited to fans more than general audiences(like Potter and Twilight), or they can be more casual. Or a fan-favorite movie can simply have a larger general audience that might not fit into the "fan" mold. That's what I've always opined about Star Wars and LOTR because their numbers are very strong evidence of that.

This situation always happens with big movies on the forums, and it always reminds me of my favorite quote from Sherlock Holmes (the book and the movie): "'It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Edited by ShawnMR

Lots of revisionist history here imo. First you guys come out and say this has a massive fanbase and now that the midnight comes in at a mediocre 13 mill, it has a moderate, non rushing fanbase.Sorry, I'm staying out of this now as there are too many people talking out of both sides of their mouths.

I`m with you. Rationale people simply can`t get through extremists on both sides. If you say it`s a good number, loonies scream it isn`t just good it`s OMG most aamzing opening ever, while noonies scream it`s a complete disaster. Just for the reconrd, it`s OK. This is going to have KK run and legs.
  • Like 1