9 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

McConaughey has never been better. One of those performances where you just feel uneasy every time he's on screen. I never knew he had this kind of performance in him. Thomas Haden Church is kinda hilarious. Gina Gershon is great too. Wasn't really a fan of the Juno Temple character but whatever.BTW, the last scene to this is amazing in the most gloriously fucked up/hilarious way. I'm sure it'll be very hard for me to forget and I'm sure I won't see a better ending to any other film this year.

McConaughey has never been better. One of those performances where you just feel uneasy every time he's on screen. I never knew he had this kind of performance in him. Thomas Haden Church is kinda hilarious. Gina Gershon is great too. Wasn't really a fan of the Juno Temple character but whatever.BTW, the last scene to this is amazing in the most gloriously fucked up/hilarious way. I'm sure it'll be very hard for me to forget and I'm sure I won't see a better ending to any other film this year.

Is the chicken drumstick scene as nasty as critics have said?

Is the chicken drumstick scene as nasty as critics have said?

I haven't read any reviews so I wouldn't know, but it's definitely fucked up as hell. It's certainly the scene that earns the movie its NC17 rating. Edited by CoolioD1

Definitely on my 2012 best movies top list.McConaughey played one hell of a fucked up psycho underneath his saturnine and odd gentleman manners. There's something fascinating (his looks and badass pose) and creepy every time he appeared on screen especially when he's facing Juno Temple. She's kind of disturbed and disturbing how she's behaving. It's understandable when you grow up surrounded by such trailer trash relatives. Haden Church is freakin hilarious, I didn't expect him to be so stupid and man, I laughed hard during the last scene.Gershon is always delightful when she plays the manipulative bitch (Her first apperance is unforgettable :lol: ) and I think most actresses would have refused playing this role because of the fucked up KFC stick part. Her commitment and dedication is praised worthy. Emile Hirsh is the only one whose performance may appear a notch under compared to his co-stars but in the end he's honorable for what his role commands him to do.Despite most characters act like dip shits and not redeemable, I could't help but feel some kind of empathy toward them. That's a real accomplishment from Friedkin who still got it after all these years. There's such a sick energy I couldn't believe it was directed by a 70-somethin years old veteran. Young directors wished they have that kind of borderline raw vibe and dark humor flowing throughout their movie. Rob Zombie should take some notes...A.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1

Performances are solid all around but Matthew McConaughey owns this performance. I'm stunned, it's like he just decided to become one of the best actors working today.

I immediately went back and watched the last 30 min of this movie, which should tell you how much I liked it. It doesn't fully earn its ending , but it's still a brutal, gripping, disturbingly hilarious ride throughout.

One of my favorites of the year.

• Like 1

Takes its time during the first hour, but embraces its play origins in the final 30 minutes which are perfectly staged and performed. Darkly hilarious yet still dramatic, since the characters are always kept from being lowered to the level of simple trailer trash dumbasses (with the exception of Thomas Haden Church, who embraces the stereotype and is absolutely hysterical, yet still kinda disturbing at times - such as in the "I got him, Joe!" moment). Pretty fucked up and insane, yet never exploitative. I've always liked Emile Hirsch and he does a strong job again; Juno Temple is a bit of a revelation, especially after her forgettable part in TDKR; it's great to have Gina Gershon back and so committed. McConaughey's amazing here - if he should be nominated for awards for any movie this year, this should be the movie. But I doubt most people from the industry would even touch this movie, and I'm sure some consider Friedkin to be a totally lost lunatic. But personally, I love the fact that he's pretty much found his second little career after all his 1990's flops, and now gets to do something so deranged, uncompromising and fully controlled and put it out to some faithful fans and even critical appreciation. With Killer Joe, he is a 78-year-old director who could give anyone younger than him a run for his money.

I liked it, but I think I was a little letdown. However, this likely happened as a result of expectations set forth going into the film.

It's an all-around solid film that is boosted a bit by a good ending and a really strong central performance from McConaughey. And yet......the ending kind of came out of nowhere and didn't quite do enough for me. It was as batshit crazy as you would hope the ending would be, but I didn't really think the build-up was that great. The lackluster build-up kind of served to take away some of the ending's power, and it kind of feels like the ending is really the only reason I'd want to watch the film again.

In a way the ending kind of saved the movie for me, but it's just a shame that the prior hour hadn't been stronger.........that would have really been something.

B

Edited by mattmav45

Yikes, I don't even know how to review this. It had absolutely incredible moments (especially the chicken scene and the ending). McConaughey gives one of the best male performances of the year. Can't grade it, but it's definitely something different.

Holy fuck was this a twisted movie.It's incredible, funny, disturbing, and visceral all at the same time. 2012 made it clear that it you give Matthew McConaughey a good director and a good script he can knock it out of the fucking park.

• Like 3

Matthew McConaughey was absolutely terrific and the last 30 minutes were some of the most stomach-churning, "should I use the fast forward" inducing cinema I've seen this year, but overall it felt too much like a stage adaptation to me. 

2,5/5

Edited by Jack Nevada

Matthew McConaughey was absolutely terrific and the last 30 minutes were some of the most stomach-churning, "should I use the fast forward" inducing cinema I've seen this year, but overall it felt too much like a stage adaptation to me. 

2,5/5

Sometimes I don't know what we're going to do with you.

Could have sworn I already posted in this thread.

I saw this twice at the cinema - the second time I deliberately took a girl who hates onscreen violence without telling her anything about the movie. Maybe there's a little Killer Joe in all of us.