lilmac

Best Movie Year (in living memory)

How about Zodiac, There Will Be Blood, No Country for Old Men, Assassination of Jesse James, Michael Clayton... that's just for starters?

Furthermore:The Diving Bell and the ButterflyInto the WildSweeney ToddAtonementJuno3:10 to YumaEastern PromisesWaitressSuperbadHairsprayLust, Caution
  • Like 2

From my childhood though, it would have to be 1982. E.T., Star Trek II, Rocky III, 48 Hrs, Poltergeist, First Blood, Conan, Tron, Blade Runner, The Road Warrior, Secret of NIMH, Beastmaster...what a year.

Exactly the year I thought of when I saw the thread. To add to those you mentioned: Fast Times, Porky's, Tootsie, Best Little Whorehouse, Ghandi, Firefox, The World According to Garp, Airplane II... It just goes on and on. Crazy year.

2009 and 2011 for me.09:AvatarTF2 (!!!!!!!!)UpHP6The HangoverThe Blind Side2012Fast and Furious(!!)11 (such an underrated year):DH2TF3(TF3 and DH2 within 2 weeks of each other!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)Fast Five(Fast Five, DH2 and TF3 all in the same year - OMFG!!!!!)The Help - amazing!

• Like 1

1994 and 2007 are the definitive answers in my lifetime.I'd say the Top 5 are:1. 20072. 19943. 19994. 20105. 20082012 has potential to be fourth or fifth.

Having seen a ton more 2012 films now:1. 20072. 19943. 19994. 20125. 2010
  • Like 1

Yeah I wouldn't put 2012 anywhere near the top of my list.But to pick a best one is really hard, but 1980-1984 were all pretty sweet

Those of us who grew up in the 80's I think have a special bond when it comes to movies
  • Like 1

I don't think in five years time anyone will be calling a 2012 film a 'classic'.

There was a lot of solid films but nothing truly stood out as being a masterpiece.

1994 had Pulp Fiction & Shawshank - Two films in my top 3. So that is the clear winner in my eyes. Forrest Gump is also up there.

I don't think in five years time anyone will be calling a 2012 film a 'classic'.

There was a lot of solid films but nothing truly stood out as being a masterpiece.

1994 had Pulp Fiction & Shawshank - Two films in my top 3. So that is the clear winner in my eyes. Forrest Gump is also up there.

Don't forget Lion King.

*sigh*

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?yr=1999&p=.htm

How I miss 1999.  Here are JUST 10 of the storylines from that incredible year.

* Edge of the seat anticipating whether Sleepy Hollow would cross $100 million

* Star Wars, nuff said

* Austin Powers over-performing in a big way

* Notting Hill: Perfect example of counter-programming that works.

* Blair Witch Project, nuff said

* American Beauty: beautiful legs

* Matrix, nuff said

* Generals Daughter, over-performing

* Wild Wild West, not meeting expectations but still crossing the 9 digit mark

* Sixth Sense, nuff said 

2010. The summer was a bit weak with some highlights (Inception, The Kids Are Allright, Scott Pilgrim) but the onslaught of masterpieces starting from october made up for it

You know its a bad year for movies when someone says Scott Pilgrim was one of the highlights.

• Like 1

A little old school here but 1982 was pretty damn good for me.

ET

First Blood (both in my top 20 films of all time)

Porky's

Fast Times at Ridgemont High (two of the funniest films of my youth)

Rocky III

Poltergeist

Friday the 13th III

Just a fantastic year.

• Like 2