lilmac

Best Movie Year (in living memory)

I created this thread because looking back at the last 362 days, I am struck by how fantastic this year has been for moviegoers. In fact, I'm going to go so far to say that for me 2012 is the best movie year since I really started getting into movies.

Check out this list!

http://boxofficemojo...?yr=2012&p=.htm

Avengers, TDKR, DU, TH1, Lincoln, Skyfall...the list of enjoyable/excellent films goes on and on. While none of 2012 movies cracked my top 5 of all time the cumulative effect tops any other year.

PS: I say 'in living memory' because 1939 was just unfair. ;)

http://www.films101.com/y1939r.htm

Edited by lilmac

Well, very recently, 2007, 2009 and 2010 were all substantially more rewarding to me than the years surrounding them. Gotta say that while I had very high expectations for 2012, it hasn't really lived up to them - every blockbuster except TA and Skyfall was disappointing to some extent and I haven't seen a single movie I could call a masterpiece this year. But since I have yet to see The Master, Django Unchained and Zero Dark Thirty, things can definitely still be turned around.If we are going further back in time, 1974, 1975, 1980, 1986, 1994, 1999 were pretty incredible years for movies - can't speak for earlier years/decades since they are still mostly an uncharted territory for me. I saw masterpieces made in that time, but not yet 2 or 3 from a single year. 1950 probably comes closest with a masterpiece in Rashomon and two other all-time classics in All About Eve and Sunset Boulevard.

• Like 1

2012.THG, TA, TASM, TDKR, Skyfall, TH1, Argo, Lincoln...and I haven't seen so many, including DU, yet..But, mainly it's the big 3 comic book films for me...a dream year.From my childhood though, it would have to be 1982. E.T., Star Trek II, Rocky III, 48 Hrs, Poltergeist, First Blood, Conan, Tron, Blade Runner, The Road Warrior, Secret of NIMH, Beastmaster...what a year.

Edited by Accursed Arachnid!™
  • Like 4

1999 is still the king in my lifetime. My two favorites from that year - American Beauty and Magnolia - are both swimming around somewhere in my personal top 25. I have not yet seen enough movies from 1994 to judge whether that year is superior to '99. Ditto for 1997; like 1994, it has several of the movies that come most readily to my memory when I think about movies in the '90s, though that might have something to do with the fact that that was the first year that I consistently looked at the local movie listings every week.I think 2004, 2007, 2009, and 2012 are all very notable not just for the number of really good/great movies, but also for the variety of genres and styles said movies reflected. I almost want to call 2007 the best year of the new millennium so far (it's the only year since I started following movies where every entry in my top ten is straight-A-level in my book), but as great as so many of the movies were, many of them were also really bleak and depressing, and came out at a time in my life when I was having some issues with depression, so it's not exactly the happiest time to look back on.

• Like 1

2008 is such an underrated year. TDK, Wall-E, Let the Right One In, The Wrestler, Slumdog Millionaire, Gran Torino.I haven't seen Magnolia but 1999 already has American Beauty and Fight Club, both in my top 10 of all time, yet I'm only 15 so I don't really remember 1999. :lol:2010 only had one masterful movie IMO, but overall there were many movies that were really good. TSN, Inception, Toy Story 3, Buried, True Grit, Black Swan, TKS, 127 Hours, Let Me In, Scott Pilgrim, HTTYD, Tangled, Blue Valentine...

1984 - Beverly Hills Cop, Ghostbusters, The Terminator, Friday the 13th Part IV

1987 - Predator, RoboCop, Eddie Murphy Raw, Lethal Weapon, A Nightmare on Elm Street 3

1994 - Pulp Fiction, The Shawshank Redemption, Forrest Gump, Speed, True Lies

1997 - L.A. Confidential, Titanic, Good Will Hunting, As Good as It Gets, Con Air

2007 - No Country for Old Men, The Assassination of Jesse James, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, Zodiac, There Will Be Blood, Michael Clayton, Atonement

Edited by Don Calavera The Stingray
  • Like 1

94, 99, 07, 10.I'll echo what jake said about this year. So much potential, but few above a B+ for me. The Master and SLP delivered, but big boys like Argo, Lincoln, and Les Mis left me disappointed. I thought it would turn out like 2010, but I was wrong. I just hope ZDT is great.

I'm not on the 2012 bandwagon just yet, but mainly because I still need to catch up on some.I thought 2011 was really weak, but Tree of Life was so damn good it saved the year and nothing else really mattered.

Edited by mattmav45
  • Like 1

2012 is the year that I have watched the most movies at the theater, but 1989 and 1993 are my favorite movie years.1989BatmanGloryField of DreamsIJ and the Last CrusadeDead Poets Society 1993TombstoneJurassic ParkThe FugitiveGettysburgMrs. DoubtfireIn the Line of FireGeronimo