Moviedweeb

Biggest Box Office hit of all time–all things considered (Poll)

Biggest B.O. Hit  

59 members have voted

1. 1. What is the biggest box office hit–all things considered

• Gone with the Wind
    • The Exorcist
    • Jaws
    • Star Wars
    • E.T.
    • Jurassic Park
    • Titanic

Anybody else think it's a little strange that Avatar still has no votes considering it is currently number one both domestically and worldwide? Maybe we over-think things too much on here ;)

TDK having two vote is even more strange.
  • Like 3

Sorry man it's pure nonsense to include TDK in this conversation. You did it only because you knew it was gonna generate a lot of talk about, which it surely did.

That was absolutely NOT my reasoning and, to be fair, it's a bit ironic to complain that I added TDK to generate a lot of talk when it is you who keeps bringing it up. I like TDK as much as the next guy but simply put it in because many consider it to be one of the most significant box office hits (in fact, I almost included TA but took it off because I feel TDK is the bigger summer achievement). But there was no calculation beyond that and this is just a fan made poll and not an AFI list so I wouldn't be too impassioned.By the way, I voted for Titanic although I almost chose Star Wars which will always be the epitome of a box office hit.

Its Titanic no matter what anyone says. TDK and Avatar don't come close to it. Star Wars is the easy 2nd place. Gone With the Wind doesn't count because that movie came out in a completely different kind of world. TVs weren't even invented yet.

/thread

Damn, and I was hoping to go by my own opinion :(

Yep.Star Wars 1977 was a puny film outside of the US.FranceStar Wars IV A New Hope : 6 million ticketsTitanic : 20,7 million tickets, still the biggest ticket seller in France history.Titanic was a freak of nature EVERYWHERE.Dollars don't mean shit.Only attendance matters.

So because France didn't like Star Wars it means it doesn't compare with Titanic :unsure:

I don't get this thread. How does a sequel to a well received movie that only became a giant hit due to an actors death get more votes than an original film that sold more tickets in practical every country in the world just 1 year later.....

I don't get this thread. How does a sequel to a well received movie that only became a giant hit due to an actors death get more votes than an original film that sold more tickets in practical every country in the world just 1 year later.....

because there are some who thought this thread was about which movie I like more. And like I said, including that giant hit into this poll is ridiculously wrong in the first place. Edited by vc2002
  • Like 1

I also think Titanic, but I think an argument can be made for Star Wars.

And that's the problem. Like I said we dont have adjusted numbers for OS boxoffice. We have no data to prove that Titanic sold enough more tickets OS so WW it beats Star Wars (possibly by a huge margin). And this is always a dis-adventage for Titanic when you comparing them with "all things considered". Edited by vc2002

I would love to say Star Wars, because no one, not even George Lucas himself thought it would be this big of a success. However, I have to give it to Titanic for these reasons:1. The budget exploded to, at that time, a record of 200M2. It was supposed to be a Summer release and Paramount almost dropped Cameron for the time delay and the need for reshoots.3. DiCaprio and Winslet were virtually unknowns.4. Everyone already knew that the ship was going to sink.5. The length of the movie.What happened in the Winter of 97/98 was remarkable beyond comparison. No film ever got to 400M, then 500M and then, finally 600M before. No film had gotten to 1B (oversees alone!) before. Titanic was supposed to be a disaster (pun intended) of a film, yet it blew away every obstacle in its wake. It got the casual movie goer, it got couples, families, friends, and yes... even enemies to talk about it. Celien Deon's song was the most heard movie song, perhaps ever. James Cameron went into hiding for 12 years after that. A topic that had tepid at best response in its previous dozen or so movies, became the Gold Standard for modern releases. No film - Jaws, Star Wars and E.T. excluded - sold more tickets than it in one run... in 1998!Power, simply power.

• Like 2

Voted for Titanic. But, Star Wars is just as worthy as being considered. Probably they should be tied for the bigges box office achivements. I disagree about GWTW. It had a zillion billion re-releases. I'm not even sure it was the highest grossing movie ever when it came out. Anyway, it is super hard to talk about GWTW because of how different things are. Sure Jaws was the first real blockbuster of the "modern" era but SW's achievements are monumental in so many ways from merchandising to creating surround sound, special effects advancements, zillions of movies copying it and essentially creating the concept of the summer blockbuster (Jaws was the first, but SW solidifited this concept). If SW hadn't been so succesful, movies would be very different today.Avatar has an impressive OS gross but I attribute a lot of its success to 3D. And, what the hell is TDK on there? If anything, those two votes should go to Avatar or something but TDK while an impressive BO run is not among the all-time bests.

And like I said, including that giant hit into this poll is ridiculously wrong in the first place.

After considering what you and others said, I removed TDK from the poll since it is not the biggest hit and is distracting from the conversation. Sorry to those who voted for it.

After considering what you and others said, I removed TDK from the poll since it is not the biggest hit and is distracting from the conversation. Sorry to those who voted for it.

It was a conspiracy to get votes for Avatar, should've left it. Edited by Shpongle

Thanks. Now it's a fair competition because all in this poll were once the highest grossing film of all time.

It was a conspiracy to get votes for Avatar, should've left it.

You hate towards Avatar made you narrow-minded enough to post nonsense like this. I voted Titanic in this poll. Why wouldn't I just vote Avatar if I wanted more votes for it?
  • Like 1