riczhang

70th Golden Globes - Discussion Thread (Winners in 1st Post)

I think Argo could end up with no wins at the Oscars. :ph34r:All this "Argo fuck yourself Academy" is getting intense.Then again, it could also work in Argo's favour and it could be the first movie to win Best Picture and not get nominated for Best Director since Driving Miss Daisy.

We should not ever entertain the possibility of the Driving Miss Daisy phenomenon. It just doesn't happen, and it's like a once in a lifetime occurrence. The first two don't count as they were early years and the Academy was still meeting in a ballroom to vote for winners and still figuring out the problems with their award.

Zero Dark Thirty sort of makes Argo look like a children's film. Bigelow should be the one receiving the windfall of any "Fuck you Academy" backlash.

Totally agree. But Bigelow isn't the sympathetic character that Affleck is. People treat him like he's a poor down syndrome kid or something. Aw poor Ben, JLO nearly sunk him now he's making good movies, let's praise him.. etc

I hate politics. ZDT would probably be wiping the floor if it weren't for the made up torture controversy

Not true. Bigelow is a recent winner and many consider THL to be overrated. So if I were a voter I wouldn`t vote for her even if I voted for ZDT because I really hold a huge grudge against THL win. Plus, her win was in big part due to "first female director" and " battle of exes" gimmicks. Without them to prop her, no cigar. She cna still snag DGA and/or BAFTA. Edited by fishnets
  • Like 1

I gotta feel a bit bad for Jennifer Garner. She's one of the most beautiful women in Hollywood, pretty talented, but career went nowhere after she got with Ben. Why hasn't he cast her in one of his acclaimed dramas?

Because they take turns looking after the kids. When Ben's on set she looks after them and vice versa. They work to ensure their film schedules do not overlap.
  • Like 1

I gotta feel a bit bad for Jennifer Garner. She's one of the most beautiful women in Hollywood, pretty talented, but career went nowhere after she got with Ben. Why hasn't he cast her in one of his acclaimed dramas?

It's not like he's had that many. Plus I think she's been happy raising their kids. They have 3.

I hate politics. ZDT would probably be wiping the floor if it weren't for the made up torture controversy

I doubt it. Looking at the similarities between the two films and their direction, my guess is Affleck and Bigelow were victims of vote splitting.

Well it seems like she has a happy marital life now.I want Garner back on TV though. Lots of quality stuff available for such great actress as her. I'm still sad she never won an Emmy for Alias

i think life of pi will win or silver linings playbookbecause best director will be ang lee or david o.russell no chance for steven spielberg

LOL, "no chance" for Spielberg? He's still the frontrunner. Loser Oscar copycats in the HFPA don't have any impact on the race.
  • Like 1

The only film that wasn't nominated for Best Director and won Best Picture EVER was Driving Miss Daisy. The only film that lost Best Musical/Comedy at the Globes and won Best Picture was Annie Hall. The math shows that Lincoln is winning, so why hasn't it won anything yet?

• Like 1