riczhang

70th Golden Globes - Discussion Thread (Winners in 1st Post)

Weren't you just calling people out for insulting your taste in film? Come on, baumer, you're better than this.

Yes, you are right. That was a cheap shot. I apologize. But The Artist was such a horrible film I don't understand the intrigue of it.

I don't like all artsy films, I hated beasts for example. And I don't dislike big budget films, Ilike them if they're done well like Skyfall. Skyfall's in my top 10 of the year and was in my top 5 for a long time. If needs to be well acted, well made, and well told; doesn't matter what the budget is.

This is my favorite gif of the night

Posted Image

Oh Tommy Lee Jones.

Haha the whole room was cracking and he's sititng there stone faced. I'm not at all convinced this man is NOT going senile and just had no clue. He sort of looked that way in MIB3. Edited by ECSTASY

Yes, you are right. That was a cheap shot. I apologize. But The Artist was such a horrible film I don't understand the intrigue of it.

You can't see anything good at all about it? I mean, I think Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy is a poorly-edited, badly-paced, unbearably dull mess of a movie, but I can still see the appeal of its performances and technical elements, and I won't question the taste of someone (e.g. riczhang) who found it interesting. I like The Artist because of its charismatic and compelling lead characters and the way it doesn't need any frills to be (for me) a fun and resonant story. Edited by Sims
  • Like 1

Does anyone even remember The Artist? I feel like the freaking King's Speech is more discussed these days.

Regardless, it's not going to be remembered as some appalling choice like Crash and Shakespeare in Love are. Pretty much any other of the nominees that year (except maybe Tree of Life) would be (and are) just as 'forgotten' by now.

Does anyone even remember The Artist? I feel like the freaking King's Speech is more discussed these days.

I certainly have better memories of The Artist than of TKS. The latter is still discussed in major part because it upset TSN, but The Artist didn't have its own SPR/TSN/Brokeback to go out against - Hugo didn't receive that sort of praise and Tree of Life was happy just to be nominated. So The Artist was chosen and that satisfied most people, there's no inclination for them to debate it now. On the other hand, I agree that The Artist also doesn't have enough weight to be one of the better-remembered Oscar winners - it might not be a TKS or a Crash, but it's not in the No Country/Departed/Slumdog league either. Those will likely stand the test of time much better.
  • Like 1

Nothing is as bad as Extremely Long and Incredibly Condescending not even Lincoln. That movie was on a whole different dimension of horribleness.

I'd rather watch ELIC than Lincoln, unless I wanted to take a 3 hour nap.
  • Like 1

The Kings Speech backlash is only here. News flash for you guys, TKS is the one of the highest grossing film nominated for best picture in 2010. It made more than 400 million dollars WW, it won best picture and actor and is generally a well liked film. It is not forgotten and deserved to win more than any other film that had a real shot (Inception is still my pick but there was no way the academy was nominating that).

My thoughts from earlier today:My take on the Globes:This is all my opinion of course, not stating anything here as fact, just one man's opinion.The Globes are never a good barometer for the Oscars. This is more of a contest of nepotism to the press as opposed to nepotism to your peers. So none of the winners can really be taken as any kind of a serious prelude to who will win at the oscars.Waltz winning for supporting actor seemed easy and he has a good shot at the oscars too.I would have liked to see Leo win but Waltz is a good choice. Tommy Lee Jones looked catatonic last night.As for Hathaway, I'm glad she won. I didn't like the rest of Les Miz but she was brilliant. Her speech, while a little whiny and a little silly (her self doubt blah blah blah is old now....look, you have been nominated now for an oscar, you have hosted the show, been buck naked in several films and are one of the true A-listers now. What self doubt could you possibly have left?) but her recognition of Sally Field was priceless and it reminded me of other winners that did the same, like when Ving Rhames mentioned Jack Lemmon as being his hero, when he won the GG a few years back. So as much as I like her as an actress, and love her look, and admire her humility and tip of the cap to Field, lay off on the self doubt stuff....it's disingenuous. Best actor in a comedy or musical imo was silly. Cooper has the best performance of the year in any film and to see him lose out to a terribly hit and miss film is kind of annoying. I still think Cooper has a great chance at winning the Oscar this year. Having said that Jackman seems to be a really cool guy and his acceptance speech was nice.Best actress in a comedy/musical was of course perfect imo. JLaw has the best performance of the year and her acceptance speech was terrific.Best Actress in a drama really bothered me. Chastain looks like she wanted this and wanted it bad...same with the Oscar. And imo, she doesn't come close to deserving it. First of all Riva wasn't even nominated. Secondly, the first half of the movie, Chastain does very little and then she has one great confrontation with her boss, says motherfucker in a meeting and cries at the end of the movie. That's the extent of her best actress performance. Now, maybe of the one nominated she was the best, I don't know. The only other peformance I have seen is Mirren in Hitchcock but her win just bugs me. Best actor went to DDL of course and I have nothing derogatory to say about his win. It's an incredible performance but again, I have only seen Denzel's performance in this category (besides DDL).Best picture for Les Miz was ridiculous.Best picture for Argo was fantastic. Before I saw SLP, Argo was my choice for film of the year and if it were to win the oscar, I'd be thrilled with it. So this being given best picture is a real thrill for me. Same with best director. Affleck, imo, is most deserving of it. The Brave win was silly. So many better animated films this year.Glad Tarantino won but his speech was silly as well. Now onto some of the show. Memo to Jodie Foster. You are an actress. You don't cure cancer, you didn't free slaves, you didn't pass a bill for gay rights and equality for all. You didn't give up your seat for Rosa Parks, you make fucking movies. This sanctimonious, self importance and self indulgent acceptance speech almost made me stop watching. She went on and on and rambled about being in the business for 47 years and she made it sound like it was such a tough and grinding road. Another memo....you make millions of dollars to act. Grinding my ass. And you turned 50. Yippee Kay yay! People age Jodi, it's nothing new. And looking back at her filmography, it's shockingly average. She has the two wins for Lambs and Accused, but when your best work are films like Contact, Maverick, Nell and Little Man Tate, really, maybe someone else should be getting the Cecil B. DeMille award this year. The way she was speaking you'd think she's had a career like Streep or Hepburn. And if you are a lesbian, good for you. If you aren't, good for you. I really don't think anyone cares. No one has asked you or hounded you for years about your sexuality, if you didn't bring it up, no one else would have either. Definite low point of the night.Best presenters were Weig and Ferrell. Their starstruck look and their recap of the films they watched were hilarious. "You get out of here." Priceless.Tina Fey and Amy Poehler were fantastic hosts. They hit a lot of good jokes and they insulted people but not enough to be really offensive. Their joke about the Hunger Games and Life of Pi was bang on. Same with Bigelow being married to Cameron being torture. I hope they are back next year.And finally, great to see Arnold and Sly joking around about not speaking English properly. Lots of laughs.Overall, it was a good show with a lot of undeserving winners and some very deserving ones. Now onto the Oscars.

• Like 1

Regardless, it's not going to be remembered as some appalling choice like Crash and Shakespeare in Love are. Pretty much any other of the nominees that year (except maybe Tree of Life) would be (and are) just as 'forgotten' by now.

It's certainly not a bad movie but it's an aggressively not-great one. It's decent the first time, but it sure doesn't hold up. But you're right, it's not an appalling choice or anything. Neither was King's Speech. Crash is the true travesty of recent Oscar history. What a bad joke of a movie!

The Kings Speech backlash is only here. News flash for you guys, TKS is the one of the highest grossing film nominated for best picture in 2010. It made more than 400 million dollars WW, it won best picture and actor and is generally a well liked film.

Tom Hooper backlash is in full swing everywhere. He's an odd director- TERRIFIC with actors, but so poor with what he wants his camera angles to say. But Les Mis is also a huge hit so it's clearly not reflective of how the masses like his movies.