CJohn

Ben-Hur | 8/19/16 | 7 minutes of Jack Reacher will play before the movie

Buried in this article with the eye-catching headline -- "BEN-HUR Could Lose $100m" -- is some helpful information about how costs were split between partners.

Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, which had some recent success with “Barbershop: The Next Cut” and the romantic drama “Me Before You,” put up more than half of the film’s budget with Paramount chipping in the rest and foreign distributors defraying production costs, sources say. Warner Bros. was originally approached to partner on the film, but passed, according to an individual with knowledge of the matter. The studios’ financial risk was somewhat off-set by some foreign pre-sales, which helped reduce their overall exposure.

http://variety.com/2016/film/box-office/ben-hur-box-office-loss-1201842938/

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Tele the Jet Baller said:

Buried in this article with the eye-catching headline -- "BEN-HUR Could Lose $100m" -- is some helpful information about how costs were split between partners.

I wonder by going after the "Faith" audience so strongly they turned off the G.A, which did not feel compelled to pay money to be preached at...which the climax of the movie apparently does,in spades.

I would never have greenlit a Ben Hur remake simply because it is not 1959 anymore, and making a movie with Jesus as a central plot point that could please both the Faith and the Secular audience is very hard to do,and it's too expensive a film to make just for the "faith" audience. You could not get away with the "ecumenical" approach the 59  version did with today's Christian audiences . The 1959 film is very vague on the divinity of Jesus, and very deliberately so.  MGM was facing bankruptcy,and Ben Hur was a last throw of the dice. If it flopped, the studio would have collapsed,and they could not afford to alienate any audiences (Notitce how many shout outs to the Jewish Audience the 59 film had?) And,frankly,the Christian audience was not as militant back then as they are now..this was before the rise of fundementlaism in the 70's. Ben Hur might have been just to great a gamble in 2016. And that film was not very good did not help matters much.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ThatOneMechanic said:

Well I guess that means it's not a complete disaster for Paramount.  Poor MGM though.  Didn't they file for bankruptcy in 2010 too?  

If you've ever read the book "Fade Out" about MGM you honestly wonder how its ever survived past 80's if not before, its interesting read. Its been saved through various means so many times.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Tele the Jet Baller said:

WB had a lucky escape with Ben-Hur and wisely partnered on low risk films like Me Before You, How to be Single etc 

MGM are lucky that Bond is still a huge banker and Mag 7 will likely be a hit this year but they need to be more careful.

1 hour ago, Rth said:

If you've ever read the book "Fade Out" about MGM you honestly wonder how its ever survived past 80's if not before, its interesting read. Its been saved through various means so many times.

MGM's biggest assets is Bond and the UA library and I imagine without it, they would have gone under a long time ago. Warner Bros through the ownership of Turner Entertainment owns MGM pre 1986 titles like The Wizard of Oz, Gone with the Wind, Tom and Jerry etc which are still revenue generators today

• Like 1

one of the worst flops in film history .$100m budget and likely to end up $20m dom.

the runtime however, is an utter insult to the bible and only 2hrs long. the original is over 3 hours 30 min and one of the best films of all time. WTF were they thinking compressing a biblical epic.

Toby Kebbell is box office poison- fan 4, this and warcraft.

Edited by Halba
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Halba said:

one of the worst flops in film history .$100m budget and likely to end up $20m dom.

the runtime however, is an utter insult to the bible and only 2hrs long. the original is over 3 hours 30 min and one of the best films of all time. WTF were they thinking compressing a biblical epic.

:rofl: 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Halba said:

I can't even tell you what im laughing at harder here - 'an utter insult to the bible' or 'box office poison'. I mean I'm a fan of his but...hell, even Courtney had a semi win this year. 

16 hours ago, Jonwo said:

WB had a lucky escape with Ben-Hur and wisely partnered on low risk films like Me Before You, How to be Single etc 

MGM are lucky that Bond is still a huge banker and Mag 7 will likely be a hit this year but they need to be more careful.

MGM's biggest assets is Bond and the UA library and I imagine without it, they would have gone under a long time ago. Warner Bros through the ownership of Turner Entertainment owns MGM pre 1986 titles like The Wizard of Oz, Gone with the Wind, Tom and Jerry etc which are still revenue generators today

MGM keeps on trying to become a real player again and keeps on failing miserably.

It is still not actually producing many movies,just investing in them. It has problems making the jump from investing in films to actually producing them on a regular schedule.

Edited by dudalb

4 hours ago, The Futurist said:

The 1959 version was a despicable enterprise and nobody should gloat about liking this film in public.

It's no Lawrence of Arabia but it the most enjoyable of the Bible epics.

I would say it's like Dr zhavigo.

A bit to long and overstuffed but an epic story over a grand scale.

When I think of most epic hollywood films this always comes to mind.