Jack Nevada

One Hit Wonder directors

If we are looking just at critical hits, then Michael Bay. "The Rock" is his only movie which is "Fresh" on RT. But I think the conversation here is just on the commercial side of things.

The OP states:

Commercial side is not correlated to the discussion. Quality is. A movie that made a splash critically but didn't set BO on fire is qualified in this conversation.

• Like 1

Commercial side is not correlated to the discussion. Quality is. A movie that made a splash critically but didn't set BO on fire is qualified in this conversation.

"Quality" is far more of a gray area than commercial success. The original term relating to music is applied only in a commercial sense.

"Quality" is far more of a gray area than commercial success. The original term relating to music is applied only in a commercial sense.

"Quality" as well received by critics and well received in general. That the movie represents a good entry in the director's filmography for many in general but the follow-ups (if any) pale in comparison.

Narrowing down to commercial success only deprive us to discuss many movies that are one gem artistically in a flood of mediocrity.

Edited by dashrendar44

John Singleton.

After Boyz n the Hood, Higher Learning, and Poetic Justice.....meh.

Oh god, I hadn't thought of that preachy and self-important hokum in years. Remember at the end when Tyra got shot in the stomach and yelled "WHHHHYYYY?!?!" at the top of her lungs while dying in Omar Epps' arms? Talk about maudlin.

having just seen ghostbusters, i'd suggest ivan reitman would come close to fitting this. certainly his career outside ghostbusters isn't much to speak of, with a couple of films receiving box office runoff from ghostbusters and one critical success (dave), but nothing outside that.

Ridiculous.

Stripes is one of the all time great comedies and it made piles of money. Plus he did Kindergarten Cop if memory servves me correctly. Reitman is faaaar from OHW.

Plus Meatballs and Twins. Hes a giant among directors.

Edited by baumer
  • Like 5

Everything Reitman did before Junior was either financially or critically successful. I think Legal Eagles was his only miss.

Calling Reitman a one-hit wonder director for Ghostbusters is more inaccurate than calling Shyamalan a one-hit wonder director for The Sixth Sense.

Edited by TServo2049

Ridiculous.

Stripes is one of the all time great comedies and it made piles of money. Plus he did Kindergarten Cop if memory servves me correctly. Reitman is faaaar from OHW.

Plus Meatballs and Twins. Hes a giant among directors.

Reitman is one of the greatest directors of all-time.

Adrian Lyne : Jacob s Ladder.

A true masterpeice of psychological horror, if you haven t seen this film, do it as soon as you can, it is exquisite fear. The actress from this movie, Elisabeth Pena just died recently.

I am talking about movie quality here, I know Lyne had very big hits in his filmography, Flashdance and Fatal Atraction which adjusts to 300 m.