Jack Nevada

One Hit Wonder directors

The Wachowskis brothers are the very definition of one hit wonders. They had Matrix, then after had two big budget films that not only flopped, but also sucked with Speed racer and Cloud Atlas. They are the true winners of this thread.  

Do people ever talk about them?  No, they only ever talk about Citizen Kane.

Actually people often talk about long take opening of Touch Of Evil or mirror room scene of The Lady From Shanghai and some filmmakers paid homage to him numerous times. Citizen Kane is just most popular film of his filmography.

The Wachowskis brothers are the very definition of one hit wonders. They had Matrix, then after had two big budget films that not only flopped, but also sucked with Speed racer and Cloud Atlas. They are the true winners of this thread.  

You can have that opinion, but Cloud Atlas was one of the best films of the year imo.  I don't think they are one hit wonders at all.  

• Like 1

A One hit wonder was Mark Pellington, well, he did two films but still, for a man as talented as him, I don't understand why he didn't do more.  Arlington Road and Mothman Prophecies both terrified me and they were well done because of the director, imo.  Very sad that he didn't do more.

• Like 1

Welles certainly not. Citizen Kane is his most celebrated work no doubt, but he's been considered as among the most important auteurs not because of just one film. All Welles works now are on the "critically acclaimed" list: Ambersons, The Lady from Shanghai, The Trial, Othello, Chimes at Midnight, Touch of Evil, and even down to Mr. Arkadin and F for Fakes. Welles is a purely personal cinema stylist and not an one hit wonder; it's just that Citizen Kane has been singled out of his body of works due to a variety of reasons.

f for fake is his best work.

But this isn't about your opinion. Coppola has undoubtedly made many big hits and many acclaimed films. So he is not part of this discussion.

coppola is often seen as a 4-hit wonder, with apocalypse now, godfather 1&2 and the conversation making up his 70s masterworks before collapsing into relative critical obscurity from then on.

having just seen ghostbusters, i'd suggest ivan reitman would come close to fitting this. certainly his career outside ghostbusters isn't much to speak of, with a couple of films receiving box office runoff from ghostbusters and one critical success (dave), but nothing outside that.

You can have that opinion, but Cloud Atlas was one of the best films of the year imo.  I don't think they are one hit wonders at all.  

I though Cloud Atlas was a very well filmed pointless piece of shit. It was pretentious as hell.

Edited by jessie

having just seen ghostbusters, i'd suggest ivan reitman would come close to fitting this. certainly his career outside ghostbusters isn't much to speak of, with a couple of films receiving box office runoff from ghostbusters and one critical success (dave), but nothing outside that.

Stripes.

Okay, just to clarify, does a movie need to to be a commercial and critical success to be considered a hit or just one or the other?

the op's definition seems to be director who made one film you liked. But we shouldn't get too bogged down in what does or doesn't count. reading through this thread, that gets annoying pretty quickly.

I'd say Reitman was once adequate studio director with one major hit in Ghostbusters. 

from Stripes throughout the 80s, he's done sufficient star vehicles for Murray and Arnold. Legal Egales a detour and failure, but Ghostbusters just hit the jackpot.  

Eric Leighton / Ralph Zondag - Dinosaur

Lee Tamahori - Die Another Day

Joel Zwick - My Big Fat Greek Wedding

PJ Hogan - My Best Friend's Wedding

Mike Gabriel / Eric Goldberg - Pocahontas

John Pasquin - The Santa Clause

Simon Wincer - Free Willy (had some pretty spectacular flops, too)

Mick Jackson - The Bodyguard

Penelope Spheeris - Wayne's World

Ron Underwood - City Slickers

Joseph Ruben - Sleeping with the Enemy

Jon Avnet - Fried Green Tomatoes

Steve Barron - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Danny DeVito - War of the Roses (I know Matilda has a following, but it did not do well at the box office)

• Like 3

Okay, just to clarify, does a movie need to to be a commercial and critical success to be considered a hit or just one or the other?

If we are looking just at critical hits, then Michael Bay. "The Rock" is his only movie which is "Fresh" on RT. But I think the conversation here is just on the commercial side of things.