baumer

4 day weekend estimates (Feb 15-18) pg 13

IT was funny and Melissa has charisma in spades. She just need to start picking good scripts. IT defintiely wasn`t a trainwreck but wasn`t particulary memorable either. Good laughs, though.

I fucking loved it. Maybe I was just starved for a comedy. My last one was This is 40, and we all know how that turned out.

• Founder / Operator

I don't get why everyone is shocked. What were the expectations? Did it have high tracking or something?

I'm not shocked considering how the reviews turned out, but yeah, a lot of expectations were that it would at least open strongly on the franchise name and holiday power. I think some still expected a Taken 2-ish opening a couple of days ago. Tracking wasn't too bad either.

• Founder / Operator

I love Bateman. I love McCarthy. I really like Seth Gordon as a director. But IT was a huge waste of time, IMHO. 90% of the funny scenes were in the trailers and the script was sloppy. Huge let down after Bridesmaids and Horrible Bosses.

Edited by ShawnMR
  • Like 2

Melissa is such a great actress effortlessly switching from hilarious to poignant.  She has range and I hope she doesn`t burn out with one schtick. I think she could give a Monique-esque performance in the right movie.

IT was bogged down by disjoined script that tried too much but didn`t really resolve any of the subplots in a satisfying way. They were pretty much dropped. But it was funny.

• Like 1

I'm not shocked considering how the reviews turned out, but yeah, a lot of expectations were that it would at least open strongly on the franchise name and holiday power. I think some still expected a Taken 2-ish opening a couple of days ago. Tracking wasn't too bad either.

Taken 2 had the crazy good WOM of Taken plus Liam's a brand name now while AGDTDH had neither so this opening is expected.

It`s Liam time. He`s playing a kind of a hero that people relate too. TE actors are relicts of the past and the audiences act accordingly. IMO, if Arnie returns to Terminator and Sly to Rambo neither will do better than DH5. Reinvent yourself of die hard trying.

I thought Melissa showed incredible range in IT. She almost had me choked up during the dinner scene. And contrary to opinion I don't think IT is the same shtick as Bridesmaids at all. It's a different type of character. Sandy/Julia is a woman (Megan, not so much).

Totlaly. I was mightily impressed. She`d rock some Harvey-produced drama or dramedy.

• Founder / Operator

Taken 2 had the crazy good WOM of Taken plus Liam's a brand name now while AGDTDH had neither so this opening is expected.

For you and me, yes. Not for a lot of other people though. Tracking was for a $39 million 3-day. It'll be lucky to hit that in five days. Even Fox over-shot it and studios typically low-ball expectations so they don't look bad.

Outside of sheer guessing, this was anything but an "expected" opening in the general sense of the industry. If it weren't for the potential of international markets, this would be a massive bomb. It's under-performing against John Carter and Battleship!

Edited by ShawnMR
  • Like 1

For you and me, yes. Not for a lot of other people though. Tracking was for a $39 million 3-day. It'll be lucky to hit that in five days. Even Fox over-shot it and studios typically low-ball expectations so they don't look bad. Outside of sheer guessing, this was anything but an "expected" opening in the general sense.

The fact that Identity Thief's second weekend will beat Die Hard's first has to be super embarassing for Fox. Maybe they'll get some competent directors and writers next time around.
  • Like 1