Ariadne

Game of Thrones (TV ONLY) [Leaked Spoilers prohibited]

I'm actually a House Tyrell fan and I'm glad that Loras is getting a far better arc than the joke that was his "resolution" in the books. And GRRM himself is understanding and has no problem over the changes and his is the only opinion that comes even close to mattering.

So going from a headstrong warrior who happens to be gay but loved renly and would never have sex with whores to a gay character defined by his sexuality is an improvement? Really

I thought the episode was phenomenal. My favorite of the season yet.

I love Margaery Tyrell! Defending her brother and lying during the testimony was amazing - it's so great seeing how protective she is of her brother. Seeing the religious fanatics decry homosexuality and punish those who have are homosexual was chilling.

The problem is that the faith isn't really anti homosexual and this was just put in place to attack today's religions and to imprison the Kings brother in law on the word of a whore is beyond stupid

The problem is that the faith isn't really anti homosexual and this was just put in place to attack today's religions and to imprison the Kings brother in law on the word of a whore is beyond stupid

It is anti-homosexual, just not as flagrantly so. The real point in the books is how anti-women/misogynistic the High Sparrow and his minions are, something the show hasn't touched on yet.

Edited by Numbers of Westeros
  • Like 1

It is anti-homosexual, just not as flagrantly so. The real point in the books is how anti-women/misogynistic the High Sparrow and his minions are, something the show hasn't touched on yet.

There is no anti homosexual commentary in the books really at least I haven't seen it
  • Like 1

Outside of the horrendous scenes in Dorne (which I didn't really like in the books anyway, pointless to me), I've loved this season because it has put focus on characters that have thus far been a bit shortchanged- Stannis, Sansa, and especially the ones at the Wall. Plus, the cinematography, framing, composition, music, sets etc. are by far the best they've ever been, and it's still exceptionally acted.

• Like 1

We saw 2 seasons ago a pregnant woman getting stabbed in the stomach repeatedly at the Red Wedding and people freakout about a rape scene that we don`t really see but just hear it.

Seriously, What the fuck is wrong with people? 

Or is it that there was not enough nude Sophie Turner?

Edited by Boxx93
  • Like 2

If this doesn't reveal people's "It's okay as long as it happens to someone I don't care about" mentality then I don't know what does. These instances in fiction are incredibly necessary to initiate discussions that are highly needed to make people wake up instead of avoiding all the "unpleasant business".

EXACTLY. Did people get up in arms when the SAME EXACT THING happened to Daenerys in the first couple episodes? No, because she hadn't become a favorite yet.

It seems to me that some people ignore that rape happens and get upset when they're reminded of it being an actual thing. It's common now, was common in medieval times, and has always been horrible. But choosing not to see this won't make it go away.

• Like 5

I thought the episode was phenomenal. My favorite of the season yet. 

I love Margaery Tyrell! Defending her brother and lying during the testimony was amazing - it's so great seeing how protective she is of her brother. Seeing the religious fanatics decry homosexuality and punish those who have are homosexual was chilling. 

I love the Tyrells because after the Starks, they are the only family who are so completely united. The Sansa/Ramsey situation just underlines how MUCH was at stake for Margaery when she was about to wed Joffrey. It makes me appreciate Olenna's high risk gambit for her granddaughter all that more. 

So going from a headstrong warrior who happens to be gay but loved renly and would never have sex with whores to a gay character defined by his sexuality is an improvement? Really

Loras is hardly a multilayered and well fleshed out character in the books. He is as dispensable as they come. And the off-screen manner in which he was disposed of in the books made him an even bigger joke than on the show.

And he's still a headstrong warrior. The way he screwed Stannis in Blackwater was nothing short of admirable.

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 1

Loras is hardly a multilayered and well fleshed out character in the books. He is as dispensable as they come. And the off-screen manner in which he was disposed of in the books made him an even bigger joke than on the show.

If you assume the report was accurate. Given the source, it may not be.

• Like 1

EXACTLY. Did people get up in arms when the SAME EXACT THING happened to Daenerys in the first couple episodes? No, because she hadn't become a favorite yet.

It seems to me that some people ignore that rape happens and get upset when they're reminded of it being an actual thing. It's common now, was common in medieval times, and has always been horrible. But choosing not to see this won't make it go away.

Exactly.  All of the bad comments about last nights episodes have been, "It made me very uncomfortable to watch a rape scene, and you shouldn't do these type of awful things to female characters."  However gutstabbing your pregnant female characters, while slitting the throat of your strongest, 'honorable female character' within 10 minutes is praised.

It's most likely because people have become so desensitized to violence that they really don't care and will just yell, "Cool!"  Yet for something like rape, even though it's a real thing that happened and foolish to ignore that that's what would most likely have happened if a Ramsay/Sansa wedding was in actuality, people aren't desensitized to it.   I don't know if it was absolutely necessary to have Ramsay rape her, but it wasn't out of the blue, it should have been seen coming the moment it was revealed Sansa was going to have to marry him.

• Like 1

I like to remind people with such pure views about such things...

If sansa went to the police in many parts of the world TODAY... no crime would have taken place or she would not be taken seriously.

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 2

I'm not a book reader, so to be fair I don't have anything to compare back to... but I do think it's a lot harder for the show to be coy about his sexuality. If it's heavily implied in the books, then by virtue of TV being a more visual medium it's pretty hard to suppress it. Also, HBO would probably be accused of a whitewash if they didn't make Loras 'openly' gay.

• Like 1

I'm not a book reader, so to be fair I don't have anything to compare back to... but I do think it's a lot harder for the show to be coy about his sexuality. If it's heavily implied in the books, then by virtue of TV being a more visual medium it's pretty hard to suppress it. Also, HBO would probably be accused of a whitewash if they didn't make Loras 'openly' gay.

In the books while it's clear reply is gay it is not the key part of his sexuality and after renly does he swears to chastity saying after the sun has set no candle can replace it. He is not defined by his sexuality as the show makes him if you asked the viewers who he is they would say that gay guy if you asked readers they would say the knight of flowers

In the books while it's clear reply is gay it is not the key part of his sexuality and after renly does he swears to chastity saying after the sun has set no candle can replace it. He is not defined by his sexuality as the show makes him if you asked the viewers who he is they would say that gay guy if you asked readers they would say the knight of flowers

Just a fancy term for that gay guy in medieval terms.

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 2