The Croods (2013)  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Spectacular animation. It's definitely a family movie, but it seemed much more geared towards children than I anticipated. So much so that I didn't enjoy it so much as HTTYD, WiR or Brave. It seemed to lack the emotion and heart as some of DWA really good movies.

I quite liked it. It's not as clever or heartfelt as How to Train Your Dragon, but it's still one of DWA's better movies. The visual palette is inspired and the tone is darker than I expected- they certainly don't shy away from showing the life-or-death gravity of the Croods' situation. 

Nicholas Cage is the story of the movie, IMO. I'm surprised it took him this long to do voice work. He's great at it. 

• Like 3

Amazing. 9.5/10.I thoroughly enjoyed it and kids and adults were loving the film the entire; it got an applause from the entire cinema at the end!Incredible story and spectacular graphics (2D).

Edited by Robertron of Oz

It plays out more like a feature-length Universal Studios ride than as a compelling narrative, but I can't deny how terrifically crafted the individual setpieces are. The endearing characters and creatures help to make this a quite enjoyable experience despite the thinly written story. Yeah, I know he was a cliched "funny sidekick", but Belt was still the big highlight for me. I definitely can understand why this is doing pretty well at the box office.

B+

Edited by tribefan695

Yeah, despite the so so script this actually is a hell of a fun movie. Visually its just a spectacle. I was really impressed by some of the imagery and creatures they had come up with, and in 3D the movie looks amazing. I dont think the characters are that well-developed or interesting though, especially Eep who is voiced by Emma Stone. They kinda present her as the main character with the familiar Disney "I want more!" aspirations, but she's eventually pushed aside in a disappointing manner. One other complaint I have is that most of the comedy didn't work for me. I got some chuckles here and there but the jokes fell flat for me.

Despite that The Croods is still definitely better than I expected. Its very entertaining and a visual thrill ride with a surprising amount of invention. 

3,5/5

Really, really enjoyed it. It wasn't as good as Sanders' other works but still top-tier animation. Essentially, this was everything I wanted Brave to be. :P Cage was fantastic in his role, but I felt at points Stone was miscast. Unlike HTTYD though, I could see Sanders' visual style in the CGI, which I loved. A nice script (although it could, of course, be more focused) with the best score of the year so far (granted this isn't saying much) makes this a very good film. B

Edited by Blankments

Very entertaining and fun. It's Chris Sanders' weakest film from a story point of view, but does the best job of showcasing his artistry since Lilo & Stitch. The visuals are a treat even in 2D, and the flick is populated with enough cute and interesting creatures to almost make you forgive any shortcomings. The story is simple and unsubtle but has a great message, like you'd expect from a Sander's film. The script and pivotal character moments don't reach the depth of HTTYD or L&S, but there's enough heart to pull it through. Sanders fans will enjoy the style if nothing else, and most animation fans will find something to like about it.

B+