Plain Old Tele

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971)

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971)  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it.

Oh man, this movie is just perfect. Its one of the best family pictures ever made, up there with Wizard of Oz. I think this is infinitely better than that asinine Tim Burton remake. The songs are great, Gene Wilder is crazy charming and its just an all around fun movie to watch5/5

• Like 1

The Tim Burton version (which is not a remake of this, just another adaptation) was a hell of a lot more like the actual book though. This one, though I love it, butchered the crap out of the book. So much so that Dahl vowed to give out the rights to any more of his stories.However, ignoring the adaptation problems, this is a wonderful, classic family film.

• Like 1

The Tim Burton version (which is not a remake of this, just another adaptation) was a hell of a lot more like the actual book though. This one, though I love it, butchered the crap out of the book. So much so that Dahl vowed to give out the rights to any more of his stories.However, ignoring the adaptation problems, this is a wonderful, classic family film.

Yup Charming Wonderful Classic Movie, and not just a Kid's Movie.

PS. Looked at his IMDB, which has 20 years of not much activity, until 1990s, when he died.

So I am guessing, it was a relative who started releasing his work???

No movie has ever benefited more from nostalgia. Charlie is the worst child actor, 'Cheer up Charlie' is an absolutely brutal song, it has no idea whether it's a musical or not, the ill-advised boat trip makes no sense, the floating drinks scene was disposable and horribly out of character for Charlie and Joe. When Charlie wins his ticket it doesn't even cross his mind that it could save his family from poverty, he's not the kind Charlie from the book but rather self-pitying and annoying.

Wilder is wonderful though.

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory is a childhood classic bursting with pure magic. A musical with so many memorable songs, but yet, the film transcends the musical label. Gene Wilder captures Wonka brilliantly and Jack Albertson is underrated as Grandpa Joe. The quirky humor of the film is enchanting from even before the first golden ticket is found, and the staging of the musical numbers never ceases to amaze. Unfortunately, a few of the songs are duds and some scenes seem out of place. Even with these issues, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory is a delightful morsel that will continue to inspire music makers and dreamers of dreams for generations to come. A-

Watched this and the 2005 one with a friend the other day for comparisons sake. Altough im a bit nostalgic about the 2005 one (i know, i know, im a bit younger than some of you :P), the original is clearly the better film. A perfect Wonka, Wilder mixes kindness and humour with some truly dark moments of kinda murderous proportions and im a sucker for dark british humour so theres that. Charlie is a bit annoying but at least hes a real child and not the Jesus from the 2005 one. The other kids were solid, but Veruca is scene-stealing, a great performance. 

The Movie has clearly aged, but that adds to the charm and the loacations are kinda timeless. Its just a charming and entertaining story altough you can equally see it as a childrens moral story with a lot of humour or a seriously dark tale. I appreciate both versions.

• Like 1