baumer

BSG KITIK WINS!!

Hey B, for the before 1 pm PST question does that include after midnight? So if she updates her friday early early morning does that count?Also question 25 Do you mean he'll post about how well it's doing or hell post about how shitty it's doing?

Edited by Mattrek

Punishment!!  WTF!!  That's awesome.  But LAguy is going to be pissed.  lol

I'm not pissed, but I kind of like it when that info is revealed the week each film comes out. The one thing he did that I don't do is the average prediction.

I'm not pissed, but I kind of like it when that info is revealed the week each film comes out. The one thing he did that I don't do is the average prediction.

Please still do your charts though, it's one of the things I look forward to the most.
  • Like 1

Also Baumer it's too late for this week, but when it comes to international questions I think we should only use one source like screen daily rather then switching between some who rank foreign films and others who only do north American films. As we're on that subject for future reference do foreign films count or is it just north American? Again not imperative for this week, but for the future I think these are questions that should be answered to avoid conflicts and confusion.

Matt, I've always said only Screendaily and or THR is our source.  And I will make that stipulation about only counting Hollywood films.  Good call.

• Founder / Operator

I still have some charts from 2011's game where I was tabulating the "triple crown" of Baumer's game (SOTM points, weekly question points, and Pre-season Top 12 points). Might be fun to dig those up. I wish I had enough time to do those again.

• Like 2

Very good article from Deadline. Read the whole article if you have time to spare.

Analyst’s Studio-By-Studio Summer 2013 Movie Season Predictions

UPDATE (ADDS DETAIL): The Lone Ranger and World War Z are among the “most notable candidates” to join the ranks of “several high profile failures” from the major studios that Cowen and Co’s Doug Creutz predicts this morning. He worries Summer 2013 has “the most crowded release slate in recent memory” and could produce at least 8 underperformers. Creutz has been making these predictions for 5 of the last seven years and here is his studio-by-studio prognostications:

Disney is at risk, Creutz says. Although Iron Man 3 will be a hit, and Monsters University should do well, if Lone Ranger bombs it could “sustain the perception that Disney’s film studio has some serious problems away from the Marvel-Pixar axis.” He expects Lone Ranger to generate $120M domestically but says it’s “a strong contender for an early write-down.” Westerns typically don’t play well overseas, he notes, recalling how even Will Smith’s star power couldn’t save 1999′s Wild, Wild West.

The analyst also forecasts Paramount is “likely to have a one-up-one-down summer” with Star Trek Into The Darkness and World War Z. He predicts just $85M for World War Z, which “had a troubled production” forcing a delay from the original December 2012 release date. It’s also up against Man Of Steel, and he says that makes the zombie thriller “another likely candidate for a big write-down.”

Matt, I've always said only Screendaily and or THR is our source. And I will make that stipulation about only counting Hollywood films. Good call.

Ok thanks, now a few other things: With Nikki updating at 9:30 am does that mean ts before 1 pm even though there's no Friday estimate yet? And Nikki said the words non-record, not "not a record". Are you being specific about the words or is that close enough? And with BKBs question do you mean he'll post how great it's doing or how bad it's doing? Thanks in advance! :)

Very good article from Deadline. Read the whole article if you have time to spare.

Analyst’s Studio-By-Studio Summer 2013 Movie Season Predictions

UPDATE (ADDS DETAIL): The Lone Ranger and World War Z are among the “most notable candidates” to join the ranks of “several high profile failures” from the major studios that Cowen and Co’s Doug Creutz predicts this morning. He worries Summer 2013 has “the most crowded release slate in recent memory” and could produce at least 8 underperformers. Creutz has been making these predictions for 5 of the last seven years and here is his studio-by-studio prognostications:

Disney is at risk, Creutz says. Although Iron Man 3 will be a hit, and Monsters University should do well, if Lone Ranger bombs it could “sustain the perception that Disney’s film studio has some serious problems away from the Marvel-Pixar axis.” He expects Lone Ranger to generate $120M domestically but says it’s “a strong contender for an early write-down.” Westerns typically don’t play well overseas, he notes, recalling how even Will Smith’s star power couldn’t save 1999′s Wild, Wild West.

The analyst also forecasts Paramount is “likely to have a one-up-one-down summer” with Star Trek Into The Darkness and World War Z. He predicts just $85M for World War Z, which “had a troubled production” forcing a delay from the original December 2012 release date. It’s also up against Man Of Steel, and he says that makes the zombie thriller “another likely candidate for a big write-down.”

Deadline might be good at reporting numbers but I'll leave the predicting to someone else.  

First of all, WWW didn't do well because it was a horrible movie, not necessarily because it was a Western.

WWZ having a troubled production has nothing to do with its box office potential.  

I swear, some of these talking heads just read a few quips from sites like ours and think they know box office predicting.  I wouldn't put any trust in anything they predict.

• Like 3