Plain Old Tele

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982)

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982)  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it.

I slightly prefer The Undiscovered Country, but this is easily my second favourite Star Trek movie. The emotion of Spock dying, The tense final battle, the underlying theme of Kirk dealing with his own morality, A captivating villain.

A class above most Sci-Fi  

• Like 1

I like it, it's a very tight - even thriller-like - adventure for the Enterprise crew. Unusual but effective. The death of Spock was shocking for an old Start Trek fan like me, more shocking than the destruction of gool old NGC-1701 in the sequel. One of the best entries in the canon. The SFX were outstanding for a Star Trek film.

(btw, when it was released, there was much talk about the CGI sequence of the Genesis transformation; it's actually a scene that doesn't stand the test of time that well. Maybe they should have used practical fx like they did for most of the rest of the film)

• Like 1

I like it, it's a very tight - even thriller-like - adventure for the Enterprise crew. Unusual but effective. The death of Spock was shocking for an old Start Trek fan like me, more shocking than the destruction of gool old NGC-1701 in the sequel. One of the best entries in the canon. The SFX were outstanding for a Star Trek film.

(btw, when it was released, there was much talk about the CGI sequence of the Genesis transformation; it's actually a scene that doesn't stand the test of time that well. Maybe they should have used practical fx like they did for most of the rest of the film)

I don't think what they wanted was possible with practical VFX.

• Like 1

Easily my favorite ST movie and a seminal movie-going experience for me.  I was 12 at the time and had been seeing the Star Wars movies and Raiders in the theater so I knew about movies, but this was the first time that I understood why you go see a movie with an opening night crowd.  When Kirk says "I don't like to lose" and the audience erupts in cheers and applause...  well, I was hooked on The Shared Experience from that point onward. 

Space battles felt like battleships slugging it out as they should, rather than dogfighters, so many good fist-pumping moments, and hats off to Harve Bennett for figuring out how to actually get a good performance out of Shatner.  Hasn't lost any of its charm 30+ years later, and second only to the reboot as the most accessible ST movie to noobs. 

A++

• Like 1

Much better. An engaging storyline and some really good performances, plus quite the emotional ending. The special effects do hold up fairly well, which is surprising.

Still the occasional corny scene and bit of overacting here or there, but it is Star Trek  ;)

The real Kobayashi Maru test is trying to make a Trek movie better than this. It's impossible. This has everything a great sci-fi flick needs. Intriguing story, awesome villain, pretty damn good performances, kick-ass score, effects that hold up surprisingly well and of course a superb emotional ending.

Tied between this and The Undiscovered Country for my fave ST film. I think this takes it just by virtue of being such a good ride. I have fond memories of discovering this at the age of about 11 on VHS and being completely blown away. The CGI genesis sequence is such a nifty little piece of effects work for its day. And I remember being genuinely upset when Captain Terrell turns his phaser on himself and gets vapourised. And this is hands down my James Horner score (before he started to plagiarise himself)

I guess Spock's death meant more to those who watched the tv series? cause I felt nothing and I'm an easily manipulable person. I never quite got Spock and Kirk were super close friends.

WoK comes down to two individuals outsmarting each other, over and over again, which got boring very quickly, because 1) budget constraints and visible limitations of the time's technology, 2) inexistent directorial flair and flourishes, and 3) I have seen it done better.

Villain was fun, though.

The Motion Picture 70/100

Wrath of Khan 55/100

Spoiler

really guys, I'm not doing this on purpose. 

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Goffe said:

I guess Spock's death meant more to those who watched the tv series? cause I felt nothing and I'm an easily manipulable person. I never quite got Spock and Kirk were super close friends.

WoK comes down to two individuals outsmarting each other, over and over again, which got boring very quickly, because 1) budget constraints and visible limitations of the time's technology, 2) inexistent directorial flair and flourishes, and 3) I have seen it done better.

Villain was fun, though.

Wrath of Khan 55/100

Reveal hidden contents

You have done it now.

You task me. You task me and I shall have you! I'll chase you 'round the threads of Superhero Civil War and 'round the Speakeasy Maelstrom and 'round the banned list's flames before I give you up!

Ah, Goffe, my old friend, do you know the Nolanite proverb that tells us revenge is a dish that is best served cold? It is very cold in the forum!

In the end, I'll have done far worse than kill you. I'll have hurt you. And I wish to go on hurting you. I shall leave you as you left me, as you left this movie; marooned for all eternity in the center of a dead forum... banned alive! banned alive...!

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Goffe said:

Villain was fun, though.

Wrath of Khan 55/100

Hide contents

really guys, I'm not doing this on purpose. 

nfNeT7YvTozx0cv7ze3mplZpo1_500.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tele Loves Bay & Twilight said:

Honestly, it'd be a surprise if Goffe didn't have those reactions to the first two movies. :lol: 

It doesn't get better musicwise than the first 2 movies. Though Eidelman's music for VI is underrated.