A Marvel Fanboy

Passengers | Chris Pratt, Jennifer Lawrence | Dec 21, 2016 | Trailer pg 70

2 minutes ago, JennaJ said:

I hope people keep underestimating this.

Lol.  It isn't about underestimating Passengers.  I think it will do very well, but for to people to say it will beat Rogue One is insanity unless you think this is breaking out to $420m+ domestic and Rogue One is a complete disaster.  That is the only scenario where this even comes close to beating Rogue One.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, cookie said:

Lets just hope there aren't any Gary Oldman spiders running around.

LIS_21.jpg

Well, I wouldn't mind if there were an over the top performance in the film. Maybe Michael Sheen goes crazy.

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis

7 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Lol.  It isn't about underestimating Passengers.  I think it will do very well, but for to people to say it will beat Rogue One is insanity unless you think this is breaking out to $420m+ domestic and Rogue One is a complete disaster.  That is the only scenario where this even comes close to beating Rogue One.  

It doesn't need to beat Rogue One, and almost no one here thinks it's going to.

It's pretty funny that that somehow became the benchmark for success here after one or two people suggested it has a shot of happening.

Note that the comment I quoted was about this not even coming within 300m of Rogue One, not about beating it.

That, to me, is vastly underestimating this movie's appeal.

Edited by JennaJ

12 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Show even the simplest of math of how you think Passengers beats Rogue One.  

It might beat it in Portugal. That seems like the only place where it will happen lol (and even there I won't bet on it).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JennaJ said:

It doesn't need to beat Rogue One, and almost no one here thinks it's going to.

It's pretty funny that that somehow became the benchmark for success here after one or two people suggested it has a shot of happening.

Note that the comment I quoted was about this not even coming within 300m of Rogue One, not about beating it.

That, to me, is vastly underestimating this movie's appeal.

That is sort of the point though, because coming within $300m of Rogue One would still be a heck of a gross for Passengers.  

Right now, the floor is essentially $450m for Rogue One.  I think the much more realistic number IF it is decently reviewed and they unleash Darth Vader in the trailer when tickets go on sale is around $550m - $625m.  

That means Passengers is at $250m - $325m total.  I don't know how that is vastly underestimating the movie's appeal.  

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Rallax said:

Uh...

Passengers 300m

Rogue One 280m

I mean, that's not my prediction, but anyone can make up numbers to show how passengers beats Rogue One.

That isn't showing the math, that is throwing 2 numbers out.  

Basically that would mean people are predicting a $80m opening for Rogue One.  $50m+ less than Suicide Squad or Deadpool opening.  $13m less than Godzilla.  

Again, I challenge anyone on here to show me even the simplest of math on the opening for Rogue One that gets it below Passengers unless you think Passengers is breaking out to $450m+ domestic.

• Like 1