A Marvel Fanboy

Passengers | Chris Pratt, Jennifer Lawrence | Dec 21, 2016 | Trailer pg 70

17 minutes ago, Nutella of Arabia said:

So do we know why future Earth has such an obsession with early 21st century clothing and style?

Yeah, because they didn't want people to fixate on the clothes, just to be comfortable, per the director.  Clearly, it missed the mark with you! :P

15 minutes ago, trifle said:

for some, but I assure you the movie has a preexisting fanbase on social media based on its being the new Jennifer Lawrence movie (her fans would say 'Jen' not "JLaw') and Pratt's fans follow his films.   I was only speaking about Intersteller about the stars maybe not being as big at that time, and my point is that I don't think those movies do as well without their stars either.

But while I hope, and think this has a 'chance' of 'skyrocketing' past them (to some extent) I don't think my over $200M DOM club is out of line with those number at all.

Gravity: $274,092,705 DOM

The Martian: $228,433,663 DOM

Interstellar:  $188,020,017 DOM

Interstellar had a fanbase: Nolanites and science teachers everywhere. Martian had a fanbase: the book readers. I wouldn't say Gravity had a fanbase, but there's plenty of people who like checking out Bullock and Clooney. And Gravity was apart of Sandra's hot streak. Jen's has cooled.

I'd make the argument that Interstellar would've done less with Pratt and Jen instead of McConaughey and Hathaway. Those two fit the roles like a shoe. 

Your $200M club isn't out of line. Passengers could definitely get there. I'm saying it'll get their on legs because of the positive reception overall, not because of the leads. Those fanbases will be there OW, not 3-4 weeks into the run. Just like every high profile movie, it'll be up to the casual audience to keep it going. The fanbases will do their part early.

That said, I still see $40-50 and around $200, probably some more, but we'll see. To me, this will have to hit it out the park critically, and that marketing campaign will have to be stellar (no pun intended). This $300M hype though, seems very knee jerk.

Edited by jandrew

2 minutes ago, jandrew said:

Interstellar had a fanbase: Nolanites and science teachers everywhere. Martian had a fanbase: the book readers. I wouldn't say Gravity had a fanbase, but there's plenty of people who like checking out Bullock and Clooney. And Gravity was apart of Sandra's hot streak. Jen's has cooled.

I'd make the argument that Interstellar would've done less with Pratt and Jen instead of McConaughey and Hathaway. Those two fit the roles like a shoe. 

You're $200M club isn't out of line. Passengers could definitely get there. I'm saying it'll get their on legs because of the positive reception overall, not because of the leads. Those fanbases will be there OW, not 3-4 weeks into the run. Just like every high profile movie, it'll be up to the casual audience to keep it going. The fanbases will do their part early.

That said, I still see $40-50 and around $200, probably some more, but we'll see. To me, this will have to hit out the park critically, and that marketing campaign will have to stellar (no pun intended). This $300M hype though, seems very knee jerk.

I don't argue against $300M, but that's not what I'm predicting as an actual prediction. That's $200M DOM.

The thing is, I think leads are part of positive reception and WOM as well, and you don't. that's the problem with this debate.  We each see the same indicators through a different filter.

Edited by trifle

6 hours ago, straggler said:

I think another important take away of the premature chatter is that they shot the Spraight script, the one that made the vaunted Black List. That means the studio did not interfere.

I'm avoiding spoilers as much as I can, but this is one of the general things that gives me optimism.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 1

16 hours ago, trifle said:

I don't argue against $300M, but that's not what I'm predicting as an actual prediction. That's $200M DOM.

The thing is, I think leads are part of positive reception and WOM as well, and you don't. that's the problem with this debate.  We each see the same indicators through a different filter.

No, I've said they're apart of it. I'm saying they won't be the sole factor. Many people are predicting sky high numbers because of the leads. It's just fan craze, not logic.

Edited by jandrew

Edited by trifle
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, JennaJ said:

Sure, but this isn't about Black List script vs. alternative script.

This is about Black List script vs. last minute studio changes.

I'd take the Black List script.

The script is about 9 years old and has been in development for years.  Most changes to it would not have been last minute and the director often has a huge hand in script changes.

On 9/25/2016 at 7:28 AM, JennaJ said:

He's been heavily promoting Mag7, I wonder if Sony aksed him to hold off on Passengers until after Mag7 is out.

Can't imagine he wouldn't have tweeted the trailer otherwise.

Sure enough, with the Mag 7 OW ending, Pratt has linked the official facebook page trailer up to his facebook page.  So the official page now has 24M, 11M on youtube, Jens prob about 6.5 M so over 40M views thus far, not counting mirror accounts.  Not shabby.

and there are a couple of fan recut trailers being passed around as well:

Edited by trifle
  • Like 1

Watched Elon Musk's Mars speech today and one thing that stuck in my mind was when he mentioned that his BFS (big fucking ship) would have restaurants and zero-gravity games and shit. So much for Tele's "idiotic, unrealistic production design" remarks. :lol:

Fyi, I'm not particularly a fan of the production design either, but not due to realism or lack thereof, but because it looks generic to me.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, The Stingray said:

Watched Elon Musk's Mars speech today and one thing that stuck in my mind was when he mentioned that his BFS (big fucking ship) would have restaurants and zero-gravity games and shit. So much for Tele's "idiotic, unrealistic production design" remarks. :lol:

Fyi, I'm not particularly a fan of the production design either, but not due to realism or lack thereof, but because it looks generic to me.

Yeah, I don't think it was particularly unrealistic either, but I've read the script.  As for the look, obviously that is a matter of taste.  Some of us really like it, though:

THE BELOW INSTAGRAM ACCOUNT MAY BE FALSE, IT COULD BE A VERIFIED ACCOUNT FOR SOMEONE ELSE THAT WAS HACKED. But this is what was tweeted earlier.

Jen appears to really be taking promoting Passengers seriously.... at least she has reversed a standing posture. Mind you she hasn't posted anything.

https://www.instagram.com/i.jenniferlawrence/

Edited by trifle
  • Like 2