A Marvel Fanboy

Passengers | Chris Pratt, Jennifer Lawrence | Dec 21, 2016 | Trailer pg 70

12 hours ago, kowhite said:

To a certain extent yes, it does.  Worth their paychecks?  That's a different question.  

In that case you would have to name another actor that would have done better. I think that Sony just needed to make a better film. That is an issue regarding greenlighting the project, not whether the actors earned their paychecks.  

• Like 1

They wanted her and she was going to do indies.  She was intrigued by the script but if they wanted her, that is what they had to pay - particularly after the Sony hack showing she had been paid less than Renner in American Hustle, I presume. 

She is still going to do indies, so I think her pay is more likely to be mostly in participation, through her production company,  for a while, anyhow.  At worst, for her, Passengers bankrolled her ability to do that and her charities.

I think the legs are going to be good, and that is because of the actors, they are what will draw people to check out a film critically panned. I also think this is going to do well in the after markets, because it's not being 'incredibly deep' but entertainment, means it is a film you can enjoy repeatedly.  I'm going to see it again today.

I am really interested to see how this does in India, China and Korea, and other overseas, particularly non English speaking markets. It is being marketed much better there, and the critics will have less of an impact, I believe.

Edited by trifle

5 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Let me help you there - it is going to flop badly. JLaw and Pratt have no star value here at all.

I think they have as much star value as anyone in a critically panned movie can have.  Obviously, it is doing less than hoped at the box office, but what other original, panned film has done better?

• Like 1

Just now, trifle said:

I think they have as much star value as anyone in a critically panned movie can have.  Obviously, it is doing less than hoped at the box office, but what other original, panned film has done better?

In India - zero star value. Passengers will be lucky to even do 1M dollars total.

2 minutes ago, trifle said:

He's talking about India.

23 minutes ago, grim22 said:

In India - zero star value. Passengers will be lucky to even do 1M dollars total.

22 minutes ago, misafeco said:

He's talking about India.

Hm, well they do have a following. She does, anyhow.  I have no idea how big it is, I only see it on social media. The marketing still seems better there.  I don't know if they do or don't take US and British critics to heart.

Edited by trifle

3 hours ago, grim22 said:

Let me help you there - it is going to flop badly. JLaw and Pratt have no star value here at all.

Seems like they are losing some of that value here in the US too:

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00104078.html

'Rogue One' Rules Christmas Weekend Box Office as 'Passengers' and 'Assassin's Creed' Flop
The Jennifer Lawrence and Chris Pratt-starring movie earns a disappointing $26 million against its production budget of $120 million.

Edited by Beals

14 minutes ago, Beals said:

Seems like they are losing some of that value here in the US too:

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00104078.html

'Rogue One' Rules Christmas Weekend Box Office as 'Passengers' and 'Assassin's Creed' Flop
The Jennifer Lawrence and Chris Pratt-starring movie earns a disappointing $26 million against its production budget of $120 million.

The author of this article knows nothing about box office. Lmao at these numbers.

• Like 1

Passengers did 30m for the 6-day weekend.

Dragon Tattoo multiple (3.68x) brings it to 110m domestic. 

So not a flop, but an underperformer for sure. Needs overseas audience to be profitable, but that is the case for most films these days. 

7 hours ago, trifle said:

They wanted her and she was going to do indies.  She was intrigued by the script but if they wanted her, that is what they had to pay - particularly after the Sony hack showing she had been paid less than Renner in American Hustle, I presume. 

She is still going to do indies, so I think her pay is more likely to be mostly in participation, through her production company,  for a while, anyhow.  At worst, for her, Passengers bankrolled her ability to do that and her charities.

I think the legs are going to be good, and that is because of the actors, they are what will draw people to check out a film critically panned. I also think this is going to do well in the after markets, because it's not being 'incredibly deep' but entertainment, means it is a film you can enjoy repeatedly.  I'm going to see it again today.

I am really interested to see how this does in India, China and Korea, and other overseas, particularly non English speaking markets. It is being marketed much better there, and the critics will have less of an impact, I believe.

Is it being marketed as an action film there as it was here?

2 hours ago, K1stpierre said:

Sigh. I'm sure I'll still see this. Is it really as bad as everyone is saying?

no, i didnt like the ending because 

Spoiler

she stayed with his ass

but the rest of the movie is great,

Spoiler

(mostly because of JLaw's acting, especially when she found out that he woke her up)

• Like 1