A Marvel Fanboy

Weekend Numbers: Oblvi: 38.1 42: 18 mill (starting pg 10)

I think knowing your snobby ass you will see Upstream Color anyway  :lol:

Probably. But I might have time for either Oblivion or 42. I'm leaning 42 right now, but Oblivion is playing at the 70mm Smithsonian IMAX...

Probably. But I might have time for either Oblivion or 42. I'm leaning 42 right now, but Oblivion is playing at the 70mm Smithsonian IMAX...

Oblivion reportedly looks really good in IMAX. I think it was actually filmed with an IMAX camera? 

Can anyone make a convincing reason for me to see Oblivion today over Upstream Color or 42?

Oblivion needs to be seen on the big screen, 42 doesn't. Oblivion is very much a cinematic event which reminds one of why they love going to the movies.
  • Like 1

Oblivion reportedly looks really good in IMAX. I think it was actually filmed with an IMAX camera?

It was framed specifically for IMAX. Although not shot with IMAX cameras, they used Sony 4k digital cameras which have more than enough resolution to wow on the biggest IMAX screens. It was the best use of the format I have seen thus far and I have seen all the good ones in 70mm.

I don't think IM3 with destroy Oblivion's legs. It still provides counterprogrammng for older audiences despite sharing some similar genre elements.

IM3 will probably open in around 12K screens. That will impact every film. So I doubt oblivion will be oblivious to its effect.  Plus B- cinemascore is not something that is screaming of great legs.

IM3 will probably open in around 12K screens. That will impact every film. So I doubt oblivion will be oblivious to its effect.  Plus B- cinemascore is not something that is screaming of great legs.

Well of course it will effect it. It will effect EVERY movie just as you say. But I don't think it will DESTROY it's legs to the extent that most think. 

Overreactions over Cinemascore are the best.

Also, I think Cinemascores are much less accurate with Sci-Fi films since it takes more time to process them. Many people come out of the theater somewhat confused which can make them more likely to give a lower score than they would had they digested the film for a bit. 

Edited by Clavius

I think that more people were offended that Tom chose such a notoriously dumb and talentless wife after the Goddess Nicole and couch jumping was just the icing on the cake. Nobody but Cruise-paid media liked TomKat. Nobody ever cared for Katie which is why she had no career unlike Goddess Niki who won the Oscar.Dumping useless parasite improved Tom`s image considerably. Katie was the true villain here because her stupidity, complete lack of any star requirement and obvious gold-digging agenda decreased his credit. Without that baggage on his back, his rep is restored.

Katie Holmes was a prisoner! Glad she's finally liberated.

Nikki seems to have something against Tom Cruise - after basically putting him down in the entire article, she adds this:

I happen to think what’s helping the pic at the box office are fanboys who wanna see those three new trailers accompanying it on the big screen: the incredibly cool Man Of Steel, the comedic curiosity Lone Ranger, and the don’t-know-what-to-make-of-it-yetR.I.P.D

http://www.deadline.com/2013/04/tom-cruises-oblivion-late-shows-gross-1-1m/#more-479081

The RIPD trailer is making people watch Oblivion?? Seriously?

Edited by grim22
  • Like 2

IM3 won`t destroy Oblivion`s legs cause there won`t be any legs to destroy. This is an OW wonder. Older crowds have 42 to fall back on and younger ones Pain&Gain and women are getting that romcom that counterprograms Michael Bay. So there`s no reason for anyone to come back to Oblivion next week. IM3 will just nail the coffin.

• Like 1