The Creator

Box Office Alliance Season 1 (Full Season Here)

14 members have voted

1. 1. Who should win Player of the Season?

• The Dark Alfred (placed 1st)
    • acsc1312 (placed 2nd)
    • CEDAR (placed 3rd)
    • Fake (placed 4th)
    • Townzy89 (placed 5th)
    • XenoZodiac (placed 6th)
  2. 2. What was the best team of the season?

• The Firerisers (Games 1-14) (Game 15)
    • The Shadowlords (Games 1-13)
    • The Wild Cards (Games 1-13)
    • The Epic Losers (Games 1-12)
    • Amazingly Adequate (Games 1-10)
    • The Beasts in the Bushes (Games 1-9)
    • Stark Brothers (Games 1-5)
    • The Pirates (Games 1-4)
    • The Very Best, Like No One Ever Was (Games 1-3)
    • Team Avatrek (Games 1-2)
    • Team Hunger (Games 1-5)
    • The Icelords (Game 15)

I was at work earlier, so now I'll write a more thorough review of the season. I think there are a lot of contenders for player of the season. Cedar was definitely the front runner for a while . We kept trying to either get him on our team or out of the game. Xeno was a great player as well, and I truly thought he would outlast me to represent the Shadowlords. I wouldn't have made it nearly as far as I did without his help every week. And Fake, oh, fake. Insane competitor when it counted. I don't think that challenge record will go down for a while. And I must say that almost being eliminated the first week and making it to the finale was not too shabby on my part ;). I tried to lay low after that, and use immunities because I don't have the best record on one-to-one predictions.

Once again, it was a great time, and I think next season will be even better!

Player of the Season, which will be the biggest honor I can award (and may have some consolation attached) (also the winner Alfred may receive some consolation as well), will actually be revealed tomorrow. You guys have made some interesting points, and I'm going to weigh it more carefully. I'm going to take a quick look back over the season to analyze each of the nominees strong points and specific strategies. But while I'm at it, I did realize I forgot one important award:

The Award for Outstanding Performance in The Challenge

I think we can all agree that the recipient of this award is The Challenge King. He posted a streak of 6 wins in The Challenge this season. I do not see that record falling any time soon. I'm talking of course about, I don't even need to spoiler it, FAKE. Congratulations, man.

Woohoo......

:wave:

Congratulations to both Alfred and acsc (Alfred more of course).

I agree with all the awards except the underdog one. Fake isn't really an underdog, its just that he underachieved this season. But winning 6 weeks in a row when life's at stake is a great achievement.

When it comes to player of the season, I think it'll be close. I actually have no idea who it should be. I'd like to cap off with:

My best moment in the game:

Seeing acsc1312 in the final. Congrats buddy.

:hug:

My worst moment in the game:

The Raven underperforming

:angry:

Edited by XenoZodiac

Wow, we have a winner! Congratz Alfred. You played a great game, as did you acsc. I think Player of the Season will be very hard to choose.

I enjoyed being part of this game even though there were some rough patches. I know some of the troubles were my fault, so I apologize for that. I hope nobody walks away from this offended by me or anybody else.

And of course, we must give thanks to the Creator for hosting. I know it took up a lot of your time, so you should know it hasn't gone unnoticed. I'm sure I can speak for everyone when I say, we really appreciate the effort you put into this game. Thank you!

I added Fake to the ballot for Player of the Season. I also added a poll so I can see your thoughts. There are others of you who put up a great game and deserve recognition also. Schumacher, Rich, Totem, and CJohn especially. All four of you also made it to the Top Ten.

Edited by The Creator

Player of the Season Award

The following players were recognized as the most outstanding performers this season. Coincidentally, they happen to compose the top 6 as well.

acsc1312

Our second place contestant this season, acsc1312 scored a number of feats throughout his sixteen games. He just narrowly lost to Alfred this past week, but it was a close call, and overall this season he has averaged a very consistent record. Acsc, like his partner Xeno, was a captain of “The Shadowlords,” which placed second of all the teams this season, and was a member for 13 weeks, after which point Xeno was eliminated. Remarkably, acsc1312 made it to the finale even though he was originally eliminated in the first Challenge in Week 1, but a misunderstanding allowed him to remain in the game. Here are his scores for the season:

-Game 16: 73.29% (2nd of 2)

-Game 15: 72.97% (3rd of 4)

-Game 14: 89.80% (2nd of 5)

-Game 13: 73.14% (6th of 7)

-Game 12: 91.58% (8th of 9)

-Game 11: 83.36% (6th of 10)

-Game 10: 78.78% (2nd of 12)

-Game 9: 91.09% (3rd of 13)

-Game 8: 84.10% (3rd of 14)

-Game 7: 86.99% (11th of 16)

-Game 6: 61.17% (17th of 18)

-Game 5: 88.93% (5th of 19)

-Game 4: 92.45% (4th of 19)

-Game 3: 84.14% (3rd of 21)

-Game 2: 85.69% (3rd of 22)

-Game 1: 92.13% (3rd of 22)

-AVG: 83.10% (averaged 5th place of 13)

Acsc1312 also received recognition for his dedicated team spirit, and was awarded the following award:

-Award for Team w/ Most Spirit

Overall, acsc1312 was a prominent opponent this season, certainly one of the greatest, and he had a solid shot at stealing victory.

CEDAR

CEDAR has been a beast this season. His skill in the weekend games earned him the frontrunner position for a while. In fact, he held that position almost every week from Week 6 until his elimination in Week 15. He was very competitive and was a member of many teams, including “Team Hunger”, “The Firerisers”, and “The Wild Cards.” He finished third of the season but averaged exceptionally, as shown here:

-Game 15: 73.56% (2nd of 4)

-Game 14: 94.47% (1st of 5)

-Game 13: 77.60% (4th of 7)

-Game 12: 97.22% (2nd of 9)

-Game 11: 89.51% (3rd of 10)

-Game 10: 74.27% (5th of 12)

-Game 9: 91.09% (3rd of 13)

-Game 8: 89.80% (2nd of 14)

-Game 7: 98.24% (1st of 16)

-Game 6: 80.18% (2nd of 18)

-Game 5: 87.81% (9th of 19)

-Game 4: 93.64% (3rd of 19)

-Game 3: 81.52% (10th of 21)

-Game 2: 87.22% (1st of 22)

-Game 1: 84.02% (14th of 22)

-AVG: 86.68% (averaged 4th of 14)

CEDAR participated in one Challenge, and he won:

-“Elimination Derby” Challenge (Week 13): Winner (92.31%)

CEDAR was also recognized with awards in the following:

-Award for Most Underrated Team

-Award for Most Competitive Player

-Award for Outstanding Box-Office Skill

Overall, CEDAR was perhaps the biggest sustained threat of the season, with consecutive wins or near wins almost every week for most of the latter half of the season. He was the frontrunner, the Big Boss, the Head Honcho. Indeed, he is a very strong candidate for Player of the Season.

Fake

Fake was a marvel this season. “The Challenge King”, as he has been labelled, Fake remained relatively consistent for most of the season, and he managed an average standing in the weekend games. But it was his success in the Challenges that ensured his high placement. Fake landed fourth of the season. Along the way, he participated on “The Epic Losers” then migrated to “The Firerisers” in Week 15 after playing it solo for two weeks in between. His results this season:

-Game 15: 72.44% (4th of 4)

-Game 14: 86.39% (4th of 4)

-Game 13: 78.50% (3rd of 7)

-Game 12: 93.94% (6th of 9)

-Game 11: 89.90% (1st of 10)

-Game 10: 77.81% (3rd of 12)

-Game 9: 0% (13th of 13)

-Game 8: 75.46% (9th of 14)

-Game 7: 94.38% (6th of 16)

-Game 6: 74.23% (9th of 18)

-Game 5: 87.73% (12th of 19)

-Game 4: 88.32% (10th of 19)

-Game 3: 81.90% (7th of 21)

-Game 2: 76.76% (20th of 22)

-Game 1: 86.94% (9th of 22)

-AVG: 77.65% (averaged 8th of 14)

Fake was “The Challenge King”, winning every Challenge he participated in, as shown here:

-Challenge 12 (Week 12): Winner (78.50%)

-“Three-Headed Monster” Challenge (Week 10): Winner (94.50%)

-Challenge 9 (Week 9): Winner (87.37%)

-Challenge 7 (Week 7): Winner (84.81%)

-Challenge 3 (Week 3): Winner (49.98%)

Fake was also recognized with three awards:

-Award for Outstanding Performance in the Challenge

-Award for Outstanding Performance by the Underdog

-Award for Outstanding Behavior

Overall, Fake was a force to be reckoned with. His skill in The Challenge especially earned him prominence this season, without which he may not have made it as far as he did.

The Dark Alfred

The season winner, Alfred advanced to the top after a number of surprise wins by “The Firerisers” and after beating his partner Townzy in the Final Challenge. Alfred went on to join “The Icelords” in Week 15 and won with partner acsc1312, whom he faced in the finale. There, Alfred narrowly won in a close finish. Alfred is every bit deserving of being recognized Player of the Season for his success there, but let's first compare how he did this season:

-Game 16: 75.96% (1st of 2)

-Game 15: 75.39% (1st of 4)

-Game 14: 88.15% (3rd of 5)

-Game 13: 80.05% (2nd of 7)

-Game 12: 95.36% (3rd of 9)

-Game 11: 76.24% (8th of 10)

-Game 10: 70.35% (7th of 12)

-Game 9: 79.24% (6th of 13)

-Game 8: 79.01% (6th of 14)

-Game 7: 93.56% (7th of 16)

-Game 6: 71.68% (11th of 18)

-Game 5: 86.93% (13th of 19)

-Game 4: 90.98% (7th of 19)

-Game 3: 82.68% (5th of 21)

-Game 2: 80.30% (15th of 22)

-Game 1: 84.80% (12th of 22)

-AVG: 81.92% (averaged 7th place of 13)

Alfred was also a participant in the Final Challenge, which he won:

-Final Challenge (Week 14): Winner (62.25%)

And finally, Alfred received one award for recognition of his hard work this season:

-Award for Outstanding Teamwork

Overall, Alfred is definitely the most victorious member of the season for he won the finale and took home first place of the season. But will that be enough to ensure his claim to Player of the Season? Find out soon.

Townzy89

Townzy, formerly of “The Firerisers” until his Week 14 elimination, was tremendously competitive this season. He started out rather obscure, but by Week 6, he was a force to be reckoned with. Soon, he began to compete with former teammate CEDAR as one of the star players of the season, and by Week 12, Townzy and CEDAR were both duking it out as the two frontrunners for first place. But Townzy was eliminated in Week 14, two weeks before the finale, yet here are his scores:

-Game 14: 81.77% (5th of 5)

-Game 13: 88.64% (1st of 7)

-Game 12: 97.27% (1st of 9)

-Game 11: 86.30% (5th of 10)

-Game 10: 55.99% (11th of 12)

-Game 9: 93.26% (2nd of 13)

-Game 8: 83.73% (4th of 14)

-Game 7: 95.13% (4th of 16)

-Game 6: 76.91% (5th of 18)

-Game 5: 91.17% (3rd of 19)

-Game 4: 87.22% (11th of 19)

-Game 3: 80.92% (9th of 21)

-Game 2: 82.17% (11th of 22)

-Game 1: 84.80% (12th of 22)

-AVG: 84.66% (averaged 6th of 15)

Townzy was also recognized with the following awards:

-Award for Most Competitive Player

-Award for Outstanding Teamwork

Overall, despite placing 5th this season, Townzy was definitely one of the favorites to win. He was a highly competitive spirit and a great challenge for the other players to overcome.

XenoZodiac

XenoZodiac placed 6th of the season. However, it was obvious he could have gone a lot further. He was a very adept player all season long. He co-captained “The Shadowlords” with partner acsc1312 from the pilot until his elimination in week 13. In that time, these are the feats he accomplished per week:

-Game 13: 72.39% (7th of 7)

-Game 12: 91.89% (7th of 9)

-Game 11: 88.87% (4th of 10)

-Game 10: 73.91% (6th of 12)

-Game 9: 98.85% (1st of 13)

-Game 8: 92.19% (1st of 14)

-Game 7: 91.39% (9th of 16)

-Game 6: 65.50% (16th of 18)

-Game 5: 84.28% (16th of 19)

-Game 4: 90.84% (8th of 19)

-Game 3: 83.29% (4th of 21)

-Game 2: 82.44% (10th of 22)

-Game 1: 90.59% (5th of 22)

-AVG: 85.11% (averaged 7th of 16)

He also managed to be one of the most spirited players of the season, even after his elimination, and was awarded the following awards:

-Award for Individual w/ Most Spirit

-Award for Team w/ Most Spirit

-Award for Outstanding Behavior

Overall, Xeno was a hell of a player and was one of the obvious candidates for the top spot for a while. He was never the frontrunner for the season at any given moment in the game, however, but he did spend two consecutive weeks (weeks 8-9) as the top scorer.

This is tricky to decide. They all deserve it in their own ways, but my choice will be:

CEDAR

This was a hard decision, but in the end I came to the conclusion that CEDAR deserved it mainly due to his outstanding record. CEDAR had the highest average score and the highest average ranking of all the nominees. He was frontrunner for the longest period of time. He won one Challenge. He received three awards in recognition of his hard work. And he placed third of the season.

For clarification, the reasons I ultimately didn't choose the others were as follows: Fake averaged lowest both in score and average weekend rank (although his Challenge record was impressive); XenoZodiac finished in last place of the nominees; acsc1312 was a close pick but he didn't stand out as much as CEDAR on the weekend games; Townzy89 may have received it but his scores were slightly lower and he didn't make it as far as CEDAR; and Alfred, although winning the season, averaged lower and received less recognition for his hard work throughout the season on a weekly basis.

You can't argue with the highest score. CEDAR was very close winning the game, I think if he chooses me or Townzy in the end, he might have won it. For me the most important award is the best team, the three of us were one heck of a beast. :D

Can't wait for next season. Can we start soon? :)

Edited by The Dark Alfred

Alright guys, we're pretty much wrapped up here. I look forward to seeing you guys back here next season. Sign-up starts on Monday, and the first game will be for that first weekend of June, whichever weekend that is, or slightly earlier if enough sign up before then. Expect some changes, some surprises, and just have fun. It may be more competitive than this season. Just wait and see what happens next.

So approximately two weeks until Season 2.

BO ALLIANCE SEASON 1 REVIEW

Summary:

This game took some new avenues from last year at BOM. While the purpose of the changes was good, the methods and implementation was not very impressive.

Full Review:

I am not that good at writing reviews, but I'll try my best.

This was the pilot season of Box Office Alliance in this forum. Through 16 nerve-wrecking weekends, we finally got a winner, Alfred. Also, various players won various awards, most notably "Player of the Season" award won by CEDAR for his outstanding performance throughout the game.

Not only this season differed from the last one at BOM at naming (the previous name was Box Office Obliteration) there were some noticeable changes as well. I'll compare them one at a time.

BO:Obliteration had a simple structure. Teams play to win the weekend, the winning team selects one team to go to the Challenge, where one of the members remain and the others are obliterated/eliminated. Though a great concept, this had one problem. The top players were constantly targeted by the winners. As it happened, the top 5 consisted completely of underdogs who started the season under the shadow of players like Fake, Baumer, Mattrek, CJohn and a few other notable ones. To counter it, the host introduced the system of points. Points would be awarded to players for their achievement in weekend games or challenges. With points, immunities for the challenges could be bought, and a few other bonuses also. This allowed the better players to avoid the challenges and advance further into the game. However, it started with a hiccup, as the original plan was to give points to teams, which were dynamic and volatile. This lead to the misunderstanding and elimination of acsc1312 who was later allowed to stay in the game. A few changes in the rules were immediately made. These were not the first though. As the game progressed, more and more problems started to arise and new rules were unfolded to solve them. This should never have happened. The players need to know the rules before the game started.

Points, though it somewhat managed to serve its purpose, raised more problems than it solved. Though I think that through careful planning, points can be a great feature to the game, I don't think it can better than the simple structure that BO:Obliteration had. The good thing is that points are not the only way obliterate the flaw of BO:Obliteration. I suggest that average scores of all the players/teams be kept track of and the players/teams in upper half in ranking gets an automatic immunity from the challenge. This way, the simple structure is kept intact and its flaw is eradicated.

The second notable change was 5 options instead of 1 that the winner had. Breaking up one team by putting one member in the winner's team and the other in any other team was a great addition. I didn't like the other additions much, though. Almost all of them were related to the points system (which I didn't like much), and they were actually elongating the game, because eliminations were not happening that week. This also lead to changes in rules to speed up the game when it was dragging.

There was another slight change in selecting the players for the challenge. Now any 2 members from any team could be selected for the challenge, instead of a whole team. It was a bad decision in my book considering that we had 22 players at the start of the season and it required 15+ weeks at minimum to complete the game (21 if no players are eliminated through strikes/no player resigned). It should have been a whole team. In that way, within a few games most teams would have 3 members, that would lead to the elimination of 2 members per challenge.

The awards ceremony was a great addition. I enjoyed seeing the various awards unfolding. It should definitely be there next season.

The concept of the game alone was enough to give the players an amazing experience. But I think the original one was better than the refurnished one.

Rating:

6/10

Thanks for the review Xeno and the suggestions. Season 2 sign-up will be posted today, and we'll be receiving something special hopefully today or sometime this week.

CEDAR, Alfred, I'll get to both of you guys in a little bit with some ideas I have concerning your win (Alfred) and your Player of the Season award (CEDAR).